Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My car, not running, need to sell..

My car, not running, need to sell..
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2008, 04:06 AM

Craigslist? eBay?

I got motor oil in my radiator. I purchased the car two years ago for an paltry sum. Whatever the problem may be(warped/cracked cylinder head, block, etc.), it will cost more than I want to put into the car as it's at 147,000 miles.

I will be buying a car in a week or so, and I'd like to sell my car before that. I've sold a car on Craigslist before and it was rather painless.

This car has treated me well, getting 30mpg and running smooth since I've owned it right up until a couple of weeks ago. I'd imagine it would be of value to a mechanic or such type of dude.

RIP, 1999 Saturn SL1:

I'm still on a pretty tight budget for the next car. I may be looking at Golf/Rabbits, Civics, or something similar.

Any thoughts?
ice

Atomic Rooster
Jun 23, 2008, 05:26 AM

Used parts junk yard. You may get a hundred or so bucks for it if you can drive it there. Or you can look up peeps who pick up and pay you for your scrap heap and even tow it away.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2008, 05:42 AM

It runs, just overheats quickly. I'd imagine I could get a few hundred more than one hundred bucks on Craigslist, no?
ice

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 05:57 AM

Pprice of scrap quite good atm (in the UK at least but I assume in the US also due to demand from China for steel.

If your car has alloys, weigh them in separately as they will get a better price. Ditto the catalyser as the platinum in it will get a good price.

After that just get a yard to come and tow the remains away. In the Uk you would get around £200 for the car, maybe £150 for the cat and the same for the alloys for a total of £500. A yard would give you maybe £150-200 for the car in one piece.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 07:30 AM

Look into the tax write off of donating it to charity, many times you can do well by doing good.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 09:37 AM

Donate it! I did it with my Volvo. See if your city has a rescue mission. If you have one, they'll fix it up and someone will be able to put it to good use.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2008, 10:57 AM

I hate gaskets! A relatively cheap fix for anyone who knows anything about cars, but really expensive for a doofus like me.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 01:13 PM

SELL IT ON CRAIGSLIST!!!!!

seriously, I have sold a couple cars on craisglist... post it up for like $600 and see what happens....

last time I did that there was not ONE english speaking person call me, but it sold THAT day...

Craigslist FTW

-Zach

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2008, 01:25 PM

147,000 miles really isnt that much at all, even for one of those early Saturns. That could be a few things but intake manifold gaskets were notoriously bad in those years especially, and not all THAT expensive to fix.

Anyway, its worth having it at least looked at since you'll be able to sell it for more if it's working properly and the added saleability versus what you'd get for scrapping it out could likely outweigh the cost of repair.

That said, Ive bought and sold on both Craigslist and Autotrader.com wth good results. My last one I had maybe 35 calls, which I quickly realized I hated dealing with, so I sold it to one of the two people who emailed me instead.

Donation has unfortunately (for both donors and charities) become much less of a deal lately since recent tax law changes have made you only able to deduct the real market value/actual sale price.

ElRae
Baninated
Jul 8, 2008, 01:37 AM

Just fix it. Saturn engines are not in high demand, you should be able to get a used engine for under $300, and probably about $500-600 installed. Then you can enjoy another 50-100k of 30mpg troublefree service.

Quit acting like you live in a disposable society. Cars should be FIXED, not thrown away like napkins.

Course, what do I know, I only have 267,000 on my 89 accord, 193,000 on my Subaru SVX, and 140,000 on my 89 Prelude

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 08:37 PM

It's a blown Head Gasket. They're the first to fail in an average car. If you want to put the time in, they're actually not as hard to replace as say, a bent valve or a cracked block. Plus, it's not actually that expensive (Somewhere around $300 in parts). It's just the fact that it takes a mechanic 2 hours or so, so that's somewhere between $600 and $1000 in labor.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2008, 08:46 PM

I got a new(used) car, I'll be selling the old one as-is. We'll discuss my new car when I take some pics.
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules