Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > powermac g4 quicksilver will not start.....

powermac g4 quicksilver will not start.....
rich82fox
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 29, 2012, 01:44 PM

hi there

I recently acquired a powermac G4 quicksilver model

when I press the power button it lights up, but goes off as soon as I let go

apart from that, nothing...no fans spins, no sound of hard disk starting...nothing

is it most likely the power supply or the motherboard?

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2012, 03:09 PM

That's probably the power supply. Fans & disks would spin up if it was the motherboard, I think.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 29, 2012, 04:36 PM

Change the PRAM battery, otherwise suspect the PSU.

osiris24x
Mar 2, 2012, 10:32 PM

Through the years I've found this behavior is almost always linked to a dead power supply, but you'd might as well change out the PRAM battery while you're at it. Good luck!
Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
PDXMacRepair.com

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by osiris24x View Post
Through the years I've found this behavior is almost always linked to a dead power supply, but you'd might as well change out the PRAM battery while you're at it. Good luck!

Can I take the power supply from a Powermac G4 Graphite? would it work as I noticed there is one extra small connector to the motherboard on the quicksilver (which is missing from the g4 graphite)

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

ChrisF
Senior User
Mar 5, 2012, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by rich82fox View Post
Can I take the power supply from a Powermac G4 Graphite? would it work as I noticed there is one extra small connector to the motherboard on the quicksilver (which is missing from the g4 graphite)

rich
No, the pins are different.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2012, 03:08 PM

Actually it might work. I think the extra connector was a 30V feed for an ADC display but I wouldn't try it without the proper pinouts. The graphite G4s had two or three different PSU pinouts depending on exact model IIRC.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules