Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > powermac G5 stopped working after taking out RAM and putting back in...

powermac G5 stopped working after taking out RAM and putting back in...
rich82fox
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2012, 03:03 PM

hi

I have a powermac G5 that was working perfectly

I took two RAM sticks out to test another powermac G5 that I aquired.

I put the RAM sticks back in my Powermac G5 and now it powers up, fans spin but nothing on the screen

what have I done to it?

Rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2012, 03:51 PM

Reseat memory. Did you damage socket memory goes into? Did you ground yourself before handling memory or installing it?

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2012, 07:24 PM

Have you possibly somehow put the memory sticks back in the wrong way round ?

Which should not seat properly too.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2012, 08:27 PM

Find a good eraser one of those square pink ones we had in school as kids and rub the contact pins on both sides of the ram, as if you where erasing something you wrote then re-seat it. Should work after that.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2012, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Find a good eraser one of those square pink ones we had in school as kids and rub the contact pins on both sides of the ram, as if you where erasing something you wrote then re-seat it. Should work after that.
That sounds like a very efficient way to zap a RAM chip.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2012, 10:10 PM

Perhaps if you used something conducting of electricity like a non rubber material. I've been using pink erasers for 2 decades to deal with contact pins on NES, SNES, RAM, ISA and PCI cards. As long as you use those pink block ones also known as natural gum erasers you are fine. Wont do any damage at all. Alternatively you can use rubbing alcohol and qtips but I find erasers work much better for the corrosion that occurs on the pins. And before you point out balloons are rubber and built up static electricity balloons are not pure rubber.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

reader50
Administrator
Mar 9, 2012, 01:31 AM

Vacuum dust out of the slots before reseating. Another vote for reseating here, plugging sticks in can be a bit temperamental. I've found it so with my G5, sometimes taking a few attempts before all pairs were recognized.

When done, press the CUDA (SMU) reset button with the G5 off. It can be temperamental after a hardware change, and the reset will help.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Perhaps if you used something conducting of electricity like a non rubber material. I've been using pink erasers for 2 decades to deal with contact pins on NES, SNES, RAM, ISA and PCI cards. As long as you use those pink block ones also known as natural gum erasers you are fine. Wont do any damage at all. Alternatively you can use rubbing alcohol and qtips but I find erasers work much better for the corrosion that occurs on the pins. And before you point out balloons are rubber and built up static electricity balloons are not pure rubber.
Rubbing an insulator builds up a charge on the surface. Natural ones are probably not as bad as synthetic but still.

The Shocking Truth (1/4) - YouTube
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2012, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Reseat memory. Did you damage socket memory goes into? Did you ground yourself before handling memory or installing it?
I grounded myself on the G5 case (is that possible or not)?

if it is electro static damage - what have I damaged? the RAM or the MOTHERBOARD?

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post
Have you possibly somehow put the memory sticks back in the wrong way round ?

Which should not seat properly too.
when you say wrong way round, do you mean in the wrong order?

they're definitely seated the right way in the slot

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2012, 07:59 AM

If you put them back as they were you should be fine. Top slots in each bank should be filled first.

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
If you put them back as they were you should be fine. Top slots in each bank should be filled first.
so do you mean put the momry in the order that I found it? it's hard to tell because all the RAM sticks look the same.

Is it possible that I've damaged the RAM or the Motherboard with static electricity?

I checked all of the connectors on the RAM and they are undamaged- the RAM slots are also free from dust

Rich

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2012, 10:22 AM

The RAM should be installed in matched pairs, ie 1GB in the very top slot requires 1GB in the top slot of the lower bank as well.

It is posible you might have damaged either or both but its not all that likely.

euphras
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2012, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by rich82fox View Post
Is it possible that I've damaged the RAM or the Motherboard with static electricity?
I think, it´s highly unlikely. I´ve dealed with Apple hardware since 1994, i have never used the almost canonically mentioned "antistatic wrist wrap", i hardly use antistatic bags for short term storing of computer parts and i have never experienced a failed component due to my "quick and dirty" approach of dealing with hardware.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by euphras View Post
I think, it´s highly unlikely. I´ve dealed with Apple hardware since 1994, i have never used the almost canonically mentioned "antistatic wrist wrap", i hardly use antistatic bags for short term storing of computer parts and i have never experienced a failed component due to my "quick and dirty" approach of dealing with hardware.
Will it work if I use one RAM chip - just to test?

If I put say a 256MB in it just to get it booting up with video?

what slot would I need to put that one ram chip in?

(I have two powermac G5s that won't boot now)

rich

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by euphras View Post
You're probably right but I've seen some circuit cards fail due to improper ESD practices. These cards were part of the frequency convertors within a satellite communications terminal but it happened numerous times (was always traceable to a single bad OR gate within an IC). On the other hand, I was upgrading my Amiga 1000 from a Motorola 68000 to a 68010 and when I was done I realized I left the power on...no harm was done (the 680x0 is the CPU).

Hard to say but I'd suspect your problem has something to do with you not pairing the RAM as others have suggested since the slots look undamaged.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2012, 09:23 PM

It won't boot froma a single stick. The RAM must be installed in matched pairs.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 9, 2012, 10:58 PM

The RAM slot order being given is incorrect. Install in matched pairs, starting from the center slots. Working outwards. Your model may have only 4 slots, but I'm showing the larger number.

pair 4
pair 3
pair 2
pair 1
center
pair 1
pair 2
pair 3
pair 4

If you're filling from upper slot down, you're trying to match mismatched sticks. This will prevent boot.

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2012, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
The RAM slot order being given is incorrect. Install in matched pairs, starting from the center slots. Working outwards. Your model may have only 4 slots, but I'm showing the larger number.

pair 4
pair 3
pair 2
pair 1
center
pair 1
pair 2
pair 3
pair 4

If you're filling from upper slot down, you're trying to match mismatched sticks. This will prevent boot.
Mine has 4 RAM slots in Total -it's a Powermac G5 1.6 GZ SINGLE PROCESSOR

sorry - should have stated

rich

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post

pair 4
pair 3
pair 2
pair 1
center
pair 1
pair 2
pair 3
pair 4

Well tried putting the same pairs together - in both powermac G5s - they BOTH still won't start up.

the fans come on and the white LED blinks - and that's it

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2012, 08:49 AM

You said you have two non-working G5 machines...I'm curious if the memory in each is different and you somehow mixed them up. Make sure the pair going into each is identical.

Forum Links
Forum Rules