Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > powermac g4 quicksilver beep on startup....

powermac g4 quicksilver beep on startup....
rich82fox
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2013, 03:26 PM

hi there

I acquired a Powermac G4 quicksilver (innice condition)

but when I press the power button it gives one beep and the power button flashes on and off

does anyone know what one beep means?

I have taken out and reseated the RAM and swap the RAM sticks over - but it still gives a beep on startup - and nothing comes up on screen

Richard
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 19, 2013, 04:42 PM

How many flashes? They'll repeat.

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2013, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
How many flashes? They'll repeat.
one beep and then the power button flashes twice in succession (two flashes = pause - two flashes - pause)
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2013, 04:52 PM

I tried swapping graphics cards - same thing

I tried swapping/reseating the RAM -same thing

I tried removing the pram battery and pressing the reset button on the logic board - same thing

anyone have idea what could be the problem?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 26, 2013, 08:40 PM

Toughie. I'd start with a replacement power supply if you have one handy. Otherwise, I'm guessing motherboard.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 26, 2013, 09:02 PM

1 beep, 2 flashes = no RAM installed or detected.

Try booting with a single stick of RAM at a time. Try with different sticks.

If you're lucky, a single bad stick is holding everything else up. If you're unlucky, the memory controller is gone. Since it's soldered down (part of the northbridge chip) that means motherboard failure.

note: the QS takes PC-133 SDRAM unbuffered, no parity. Max size 512 MB per stick (1.5 GB max overall). In practice, it takes up to 256 MB sticks, and accepts "low-density" 512 sticks. Which turned out to be uncommon - most 512 sticks will recognize as 256 sticks, or not be recognized.

Forum Links
Forum Rules