Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE Button Bar Icon links

IE Button Bar Icon links
FAerrorTAL
Aug 15, 2002, 04:15 PM

For those who don't know, there is a feature in IE that lets you put graphical links into your button bar, effectively eliminating the favorites bar, and it's much more customizable.

It works by just remembering the address of the image you drag, and the link associated with it in the HTML.

I've started a custom button page, so far just throwing together all the standard icons i can grab, i've only had an hour of work into it...
lemme know what you all think, if you have more pages to have, if anyone would like to host this puppy, and any cool ideas out there.

IE button bar icons

thanks!
Fatal Error... a PC term
for "I should have
bought a Mac"

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 06:01 PM

That's been there since the early betas of IE5 on Mac OS 9 back in late 1999.

Just FYI.

Oh, and nice icons.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

FAerrorTAL  (op)
Aug 15, 2002, 11:45 PM

you're joking? well hey, I just found out about it, so it's new to me!
thanks! please enjoy those icons, and do give me suggestions for any you would like...
i should be taking the time to make custom ones soon, with themes and whatnot. I'm looking to get them hosted someplace that isn't lame like geocites... (maybe .mac if i can muster the money)

~aaron
Fatal Error... a PC term
for "I should have
bought a Mac"

JRT
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2002, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by FAerrorTAL:
you're joking? well hey, I just found out about it, so it's new to me!
thanks! please enjoy those icons, and do give me suggestions for any you would like...
i should be taking the time to make custom ones soon, with themes and whatnot. I'm looking to get them hosted someplace that isn't lame like geocites... (maybe .mac if i can muster the money)

~aaron
Well I did not know that either. Thanks!
JRT

JRT
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2002, 08:24 PM

Hmmm... after playing with this a bit it seems it does not always work. For example, if you drag the MacInTouch logo up there when you click on it IE just takes you to the gif page not the website.

So does anyone know how to edit this stuff? Is there a way to create a gif and then associate a web address to it for the menu bar?
JRT

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2002, 06:41 AM

Another site has some really nice button bar icons also, check out:

ICONS

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

FAerrorTAL  (op)
Aug 18, 2002, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by JRT:
Hmmm... after playing with this a bit it seems it does not always work. For example, if you drag the MacInTouch logo up there when you click on it IE just takes you to the gif page not the website.

So does anyone know how to edit this stuff? Is there a way to create a gif and then associate a web address to it for the menu bar?
well the way it works is the IE browser only remembers the location of the image, and then gets the associated link. so you can download the image, make a quick webpage, and then reference the image/link on your local drive.
or just send it to me
(this is all based on my theory, if i'm wrong, correct me)
aaron
Fatal Error... a PC term
for "I should have
bought a Mac"

JRT
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2002, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by FAerrorTAL:

well the way it works is the IE browser only remembers the location of the image, and then gets the associated link. so you can download the image, make a quick webpage, and then reference the image/link on your local drive.
or just send it to me
(this is all based on my theory, if i'm wrong, correct me)
aaron
That is exactly how it works. I have nrrm gooling around doing just that. I built a quick and dirty html page with the icons I want and the correct links. Then you just drag them up and it all works pretty well. I can trun off the favorites bar and make use of all that wated space in the toolbar. Very handy.

Try that with chimera (ducking!)
JRT

FAerrorTAL  (op)
Aug 19, 2002, 09:45 AM

yeah thtat's actually how this webpage started, I put it online so i could have them at work and at homel.
aaron

i'm on my way to check out chimera now...
Fatal Error... a PC term
for "I should have
bought a Mac"

Forum Links
Forum Rules