Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just bought a new reel and caught a delicious bass.

Just bought a new reel and caught a delicious bass.
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2008, 07:53 PM

Actually I don't know for sure if it was delicious because I threw it back, but past experience tells me this one looked delicious at least.

Mercury aside, I bought a new reel today, a Shimano Cardiff baitcaster. I'll be using it for Snook, Tarpon, Peacocks and Largemouth Bass mostly. It holds 220 yds. of 17 lb. test line. It's got a clicker too which will be good for live bait and such. I'll be going fishing a bit during the summer, both from the shoreline and on a couple of friend's boats, and my old reel, an Abu Garcia ambassadeur 5000, is pushing 15 years.

It's worth noting that I've surely caught 500+ fish on my old reel and only in it's last year or two of life showed any problems. It's easily rebuildable too, so I may just get a rebuild kit for it as a backup.

The new Shimano gets nice reviews, and I've had Shimano gear in the past that was excellent. My friend has their entire Calcutta line(the bigger brother to mine) and those are some mighty fine reels.

ice

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2008, 08:00 PM

^^ is that your latest catch ?

-t

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2008, 08:13 PM

No, that's what he uses for bait. He's fishing for beer belly bass.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2008, 08:18 PM

That was the prize for catching the fish. : )
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules