Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External drive stopped mounting, firewire, USB2, help!

External drive stopped mounting, firewire, USB2, help!
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 3, 2008, 06:54 PM

Not sure about this one. I've got an external drive in an enclosure, both items are not even a year old and the drive stays mounted via firewire and sits on my desk, doesn't move or anything.

Today, I was cleaning the desk, which involved me moving everything, gently, to one side of the desk while I calmly dusted the other side and vice versa.

Afterwards I noticed my FW drive not mounting, and at that point I tried both firewire ports, neither worked. Then I went to my roommate's G5 and via firewire, it didn't mount. I then came back to my computer and tried via USB2, didn't mount.

Somewhere in there I repaired permissions. Disk Utility doesn't see the drive. I'm having to go out this evening and have a hundred things to do, besides getting this working again.

Anyone have any suggestions to try? Keeping in mind I only have the one external case, and this is my only SATA drive I can put in the enclosure.

ICY DOCK external firewire/USB2 and (I think) a Seagate Barracuda 320GB drive.

I'll try to respond tonight after some suggestions... thank you!
ice

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 3, 2008, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Today, I was cleaning the desk, which involved me moving everything, gently, to one side of the desk while I calmly dusted the other side and vice versa.
To clarify, I used windex on a paper towel, which was applied away from the desk, and brought just the paper towel to the desk to "round up" dust and clean the surface at the same time. No spraying around the equipment!
ice

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 3, 2008, 09:06 PM

Okay, I was panicking before because of the hundred things I have to do today/tonight. I settled down, pulled the drive from the case, put it in my roommate's PM G5 as a second drive, it showed up on his machine. Great.

Pulled it the drive out, put it back in the external case, connected to my machine via firewire, and voila. I ran Disk Utility on it, reported okay. I'll back it all up in the morning onto another drive I have, but I'm still wondering why it wouldn't show up in Disk Utility after a few restarts on my iMac.
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules