Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS Versus Windows ?

Mac OS Versus Windows ?
vja4him
Jul 7, 2005, 09:10 PM

My roommate, who is a Windows user, has brought up numerous issues concerning Mac OS X. My boys and I are Mac addicts, and use only Macs, including our old Apple IIgs, 512Ke, at least three SE/30s, PowerMac 7300/500. I mostly use my G4 iBook now. Here are some of the questions my roommate has mentioned:

1- Where are the visible borders on the browsers? Can't easily see where one window starts. With MS Windows, borders are visible.
2- Why, by default, are the browser head borders not colored differently? It is difficult for the eyes to find where the one underneath is located.
3- When I click on Sticky Notes, I expect it to open a new Sticky note, but instead it opens to whatever Sticky note somebody else has already opened. This should, by default, open a new Sticky note. Instead I have to return to the File menu at the top of the screen and click File/New.
4- When I type in Sticky notes, I should have a scroll bar on the side. This forces me to enlarge the window or use the computer keyboard to scroll though the text. Many people prefer to use the mouse and scroll bar for viewing and reading, not the keyboard.
5- Seems that most Apple windows are only expandable by grabbing the lower right corner. This is very limiting because I have to find and navigate my mouse to that very tiny little spot and point exactly on it in order to expand or shorten the window size. MS Windows is much better and much more accessible. With MS Windows I can grab the window frame at absolutely any part of the window (even in the middle of the side border) and it will let me expand it just vertically or horizontally. This is a big time saver. This is how MS Windows is innovative and flexible. They make moving and accessing things in the way that people naturally want to instead of forcing people to learn and put up with a certain procedure of doing things.
6- Notice how I am a MS Windows user and how I am already squirming in my seat about the inflexibility and inability to function efficiently on an Apple-based operating system. If the Apple OS were as simple and efficient as Windows XP, then truly I wouldn't be squirming in my seat, wondering why not this and why not that, and complaining about how difficult it is to use certain applications, compared to a Windows environment.
7- Why can't you simply move a file as you can in Windows? With MS Windows I can Right click + drag a file from one place to another and then actually choose from that Right-clicked menu whether I want to MOVE, COPY, or CREATE a SHORTCUT (Alias) of that file. With Windows you can right click and explore your options and within most of those options is something that the user likely was looking for.

-- California Windows User

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2005, 09:15 PM

bborofka
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2005, 09:57 PM

1- Where are the visible borders on the browsers? Can't easily see where one window starts. With MS Windows, borders are visible.
I agree the inconsistent border windows are annoying in OS X (some apps have borders, some don't), but I never have a problem distinguishing where a window windows start because of the elegant drop shadow.

2- Why, by default, are the browser head borders not colored differently? It is difficult for the eyes to find where the one underneath is located.
I have no idea what you mean here.

3- When I click on Sticky Notes, I expect it to open a new Sticky note, but instead it opens to whatever Sticky note somebody else has already opened. This should, by default, open a new Sticky note. Instead I have to return to the File menu at the top of the screen and click File/New.
4- When I type in Sticky notes, I should have a scroll bar on the side. This forces me to enlarge the window or use the computer keyboard to scroll though the text. Many people prefer to use the mouse and scroll bar for viewing and reading, not the keyboard.
People still use Stickies? Maybe someone else can help you out on this one.

5- Seems that most Apple windows are only expandable by grabbing the lower right corner. This is very limiting because I have to find and navigate my mouse to that very tiny little spot and point exactly on it in order to expand or shorten the window size. MS Windows is much better and much more accessible. With MS Windows I can grab the window frame at absolutely any part of the window (even in the middle of the side border) and it will let me expand it just vertically or horizontally. This is a big time saver. This is how MS Windows is innovative and flexible. They make moving and accessing things in the way that people naturally want to instead of forcing people to learn and put up with a certain procedure of doing things.
Typical Windows and Microsoft thinking: why have one way of doing something when you can have 10? It's unnecessarily complex to make a resize on both lower corners and every edge of a window, when one corner will do. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten annoyed because I accidentally clicked and dragged the 2-pixel thick window border on Windows and resized my whole window. It's not good UI design nor "innovative". I hardly resize windows at all.

6- Notice how I am a MS Windows user and how I am already squirming in my seat about the inflexibility and inability to function efficiently on an Apple-based operating system. If the Apple OS were as simple and efficient as Windows XP, then truly I wouldn't be squirming in my seat, wondering why not this and why not that, and complaining about how difficult it is to use certain applications, compared to a Windows environment.
Old habits die hard. The OS X GUI is perfectly flexible for everyone's needs. When I sit at a Windows box, I am squirming in my seat because I can't hit F9 to show all my open windows, I can't hit alt-` to cycle through windows in the frontmost app, and I can't use spring-loaded folders anywhere (along with Expose). If you're just going to complain about how the OS X GUI isn't exactly like Windows, people won't have any sympathy for you.

7- Why can't you simply move a file as you can in Windows? With MS Windows I can Right click + drag a file from one place to another and then actually choose from that Right-clicked menu whether I want to MOVE, COPY, or CREATE a SHORTCUT (Alias) of that file. With Windows you can right click and explore your options and within most of those options is something that the user likely was looking for.
Get used to keyboard shortcuts. option+drag will Copy, cmd+drag will Move, and cmd+option+drag will create an Alias.

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2005, 09:58 PM

Your roomate is rather petty.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by bborofka
Get used to keyboard shortcuts. option+drag will Copy, cmd+drag will Move, and cmd+option+drag will create an Alias.
And beyond that, copy and paste item are accessible from the Finder's contextual menus. The complainer probably does not realize control clicking exists.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 10:37 PM

I tried XP and have a few questions about it.

1. - Whenever a dialog box pops up or opens, how come I have to answer it before I can do anything else? On the mac I can go on about my business in any other app and forget about or think about this dialog box for as long as I want.

2. - In XP, how come I can't do a search from any application. In OS X I can using Spotlight, built into the OS.

3. - In XP I want to try some new software. I try it, don't like it and want to throw it away. How come this is so difficult? How come with the Mac I can just drag the app to the trash and it is gone?

4. - In XP I get all kinds of spyware, viruses, etc. Why is this? Don't seem to see this issue on the Mac.

5. - In XP I want to make a PDF from any application I am working on. What the heck, let's say from MS Word, MS's flagship software. Oops. Can't do it unless I buy Adobe Acrobat or download some hack ghost writer that only works on certain kinds of printers. Costs about $250. With OS X, PDF's are everywhere. In fact, I can click on Mail pdf from the print menu and it will make any document a pdf and put it in Mail for me automatically. Free and part of the OS.

6. - In XP when I close my notebook, it sometimes doesn't go to sleep. Worse yet, it may not wake back up when I open it. Best case it awakens very slowly. But oops, my wireless connection is gone. Never had this happen on my Powerbook. In fact, people ask me on the airplane all of the time how I just did that. Did what? Opened up the lid and turned it on so fast! Or, didn't you save that! Save what? What you were working on! Why I ask? Because they say, you just closed it without doing anything first!

I could go on but this is crazy.

First thing, quit thinking like a Windows person. When you use a Mac in the Mac way, you will find it quicker, easier and more powerful than anything you do on XP. And you might just have some fun. Usually when you have trouble with something, try what sounds too simple of a solution. It most always will work in just that way. The Mac way.

And oh, BTW. You might want to stop shaving your "roomates" face in the morning. Kinda cute but annoying.

Peace.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 7, 2005, 10:40 PM

Haven't you guys read the sign? "Do not feed the troll"

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 10:43 PM

That would be no fun now would it? Besides, it keeps my mind off of the KC Royals for a minute. Looks like they might win tonight so guess it ain't so bad.

And I forgot to mention that me and my kids are Windows addicts.....

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2005, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac
Besides, it keeps my mind off of the KC Royals for a minute. Looks like they might win tonight so guess it ain't so bad.
3 in a row!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
Haven't you guys read the sign? "Do not feed the troll"
The original poster is apparently not a troll but is posting the negative sentiment from the subject's roommate.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
The original poster is apparently not a troll but is posting the negative sentiment from the subject's roommate.
Uhhhh...he uses the words "you" and "I" pretty interchangeably. (Is that a word?) So no, these are his questions.

Pretty dang funny MOS. But 3 in a row is a big accomplishment. Looks like they may be able to win about 45 games this year.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 01:12 AM

1 - thick borders are a waste of space. You can easily see the edge because of the drop shadows. You can resize from the corner.

2 - ??? You mean titlebars? Um, I've never seen titlebars in XP all different colors, frankly that would be a headache.

3 - Making a new stick every time you click on the app icon or the dock icon would make no sense and have no UI consistensy. All other apps are given focus when clicked in the dock or otherwise. A new sticky will appear if none are already there, just like any other app. Umm, duh?? Nitpicking, really. Nobody uses stickies, esp not the app, what with Dashboard.

4 - Um, you can use a scroller on your mouse, if you have one. And if youre making sticky notes that long, consider using TextEdit instead. I mean if you were writing something that long in real life, you would use a piece of lined paper, not a post-it right?

5 - "This is how MS Windows is innovative and flexible. They make moving and accessing things in the way that people naturally want to instead of forcing people to learn and put up with a certain procedure of doing things." Completely false. Really, if you need to resize windows that much, then clearly your software isnt remembering your window prefrences, thus forcing you to learn and put up with the repetitive procedure of resizing windows properly every time you launch. Not to mention wasting precious screen real estate.

6 - Yeah. So you like being nagged by tons of things in the systray, random apps stealing focus, inexplicable crashes, poor security, unnecessary abstration, installation woes, driver woes, ...the list goes on. I used to scream daily because of data loss (which, in 3D animation is very very severe) but ever since I got my Mac, I've been able to work without a hitch. Seems to me that you just love Windows so you're trying to find excuses as to why the OSX sucks. Truth is, it doest. Windows does.

7 - You can right-click and hit "create alias" and then move the alias. Option-drag to copy. Plain drag to move. That easy. The rightclick+drag does make sense, but I believe it was your beloved PC world that sued apple for trying to make a 2 button mouse. (Thats what I heard anyway)

Case and point: you have to case and point. If you want to keep using windows with all of its problems, you go right ahead.

http://www.xvsxp.com

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 01:54 AM

"Windows" and "innovative" do not belong in the same sentence.

moreno
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2005, 02:12 AM

Typical Windows and Microsoft thinking: why have one way of doing something when you can have 10? It's unnecessarily complex to make a resize on both lower corners and every edge of a window, when one corner will do. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten annoyed because I accidentally clicked and dragged the 2-pixel thick window border on Windows and resized my whole window. It's not good UI design nor "innovative". I hardly resize windows at all.
IF the cursor is close to the left edge of the window, you save time resizing the damn window.

INTEGRATE the 'the lost seconds' resizing with macosx in order to an year, and you will see inovation.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2005, 03:51 AM

1. - Whenever a dialog box pops up or opens, how come I have to answer it before I can do anything else? On the mac I can go on about my business in any other app and forget about or think about this dialog box for as long as I want.
For the most part only Norton's dialog box forces you to respond. In the task bar you can click on show desktop and this will hide the dialog box for most programs until you go back into that program. You can also Alt Tab around it to other programs as well.

2. - In XP, how come I can't do a search from any application. In OS X I can using Spotlight, built into the OS.
There is a search in the Start Menu which is accessable while in most programs. If you are in a program that hides the Task bar and Start Button you can usally hit the windows key on the keyboard or hit ctrl esc to force the Start Menu open.

3. - In XP I want to try some new software. I try it, don't like it and want to throw it away. How come this is so difficult? How come with the Mac I can just drag the app to the trash and it is gone?
Not a Windows fualt but a developers fualt. Most programs will have a REMOVE option with the program or in the Add/Remove control panel. Some have neither. Its hard to really fualt MS for bad programs. Also there are a few Mac Apps I have used that just throwing into the trast only gets ride of apart of it. Having a Central Uninstall system is something I actually Miss in OS X.

4. - In XP I get all kinds of spyware, viruses, etc. Why is this? Don't seem to see this issue on the Mac.
The spyware is mostly users fualt for not reading the fine print on a free program. For viruses while its true the Mac does not have any yet things will change when the Intel Macs come out. It wont be very difficult for PC Viruse makers to try and key word try to start making cross OS viruses. Mac OS X is more secure there is no doubt about that, but Microsoft is a bigger target as well and is more of a focus. Im sure holes will be found in OS X when it starts getting more market share and becomes more of a main OS for the world. If users kept there machines up to date, kept there Virus programs up to date. Didn't download illegla software and music. Used a firewall and bought there software or read the fine print of free software none of those problems would be on a PC. But most users do not do that.

5. - In XP I want to make a PDF from any application I am working on. What the heck, let's say from MS Word, MS's flagship software. Oops. Can't do it unless I buy Adobe Acrobat or download some hack ghost writer that only works on certain kinds of printers. Costs about $250. With OS X, PDF's are everywhere. In fact, I can click on Mail pdf from the print menu and it will make any document a pdf and put it in Mail for me automatically. Free and part of the OS.
Apple partly created the PDF standard with Adobe. They have every right to include it in the OS like that. MS cant. Fualting MS for this is silly.

6. - In XP when I close my notebook, it sometimes doesn't go to sleep. Worse yet, it may not wake back up when I open it. Best case it awakens very slowly. But oops, my wireless connection is gone. Never had this happen on my Powerbook. In fact, people ask me on the airplane all of the time how I just did that. Did what? Opened up the lid and turned it on so fast! Or, didn't you save that! Save what? What you were working on! Why I ask? Because they say, you just closed it without doing anything first!
This is less to do with Microsoft and more to do with the hardware vender and the drivers for the hardware. A rebuttle to this, why cant OS X hibernate like on Windows. Thats when the contents in Ram is placed on the hard drive and the machine is actually turned off. When it awakes it reloads this back into the Ram and continues as if it was never turned off. This is a great feature I use all the time. It allows me to keep all the stuff im working on Open and the ability to actually turn off the computer not sleep it and continue where I left off with out any signs I turned it off.
I could go on but this is crazy.
If Windows and Mac OS where the same, what would be the point. Differences are good.

First thing, quit thinking like a Windows person. When you use a Mac in the Mac way, you will find it quicker, easier and more powerful than anything you do on XP. And you might just have some fun. Usually when you have trouble with something, try what sounds too simple of a solution. It most always will work in just that way. The Mac way.

And oh, BTW. You might want to stop shaving your "roomates" face in the morning. Kinda cute but annoying.

Peace.
Very true except for the part of quicker and easier and more powerful. Power Users on either system will be able to do things quicker and easier and have more power then a regular user. Im a power user on both XP and OS X, so I find I can do things about as fast on each. I prefer OS X though, just more pleasing to the eye and more logical.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
For viruses while its true the Mac does not have any yet things will change when the Intel Macs come out. It wont be very difficult for PC Viruse makers to try and key word try to start making cross OS viruses.
You don't seem to have any idea what you're talking about. Let me help you with that. Intel-based Macs will be no easier to infect with viruses than PowerPC-based Macs. Just because two operating systems run on the same type of processor doesn't mean programs written for the two are in any way compatible with one another. For starters MacOS X uses entirely different executable formats than Windows does (Mach-O/CFM vs. PE/COFF) which means even if you had every Windows DLL on your Mac system you still couldn't run a Windows executable without loading Windows in a virtual machine. Even a program not using any OS-specific libraries (straight C) will be compiled to a particular system's executable format.

Apple partly created the PDF standard with Adobe. They have every right to include it in the OS like that. MS cant. Fualting MS for this is silly.
PDF started off as the twinkle in the eye of John Warnock at Adobe. He wanted a graphics format similar in capabilities to PostScript but with far less overhead and much smaller file sizes. PostScript is an interpreted language that tells a device how and what to display. Since it was originally designed to run on printers with built-in interpreters it is pretty much a full blown programming language. PDF on the otherhand is pretty much display directives only. It tells a drawing engine what to display and where, it doesn't have to tell the drawing engine how like PostScript.

Apple's use of PDF requires no licensing because they wrote their own PDF display engine by themselves. As I recall the original PostScript interpreter in NeXTSTEP was actually licensed from Adobe. Instead of go down that road Apple chose to write their own PDF implementation. Apple didn't really have a part in creating the PDF specification though. They had a lot of input on PostScript in the 80s as they were selling pretty much the only PostScript capable printer but that is not true of PDF.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2005, 05:36 AM

Athens, the word is "fault" not "fualt". I know you're in Canada, but is that really an excuse ?
( Last edited by Fonzie; Jul 8, 2005 at 05:42 AM. Reason: forgot to add a smiley or two)
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 06:38 AM

I don't like windows not only for its 'illogical' interface, but mainly for it's instability and the constant problems I had. I don't say OS X doesn't have it share of problems, but the difference is it doesn't take the whole machine and all apps down with it, unlike my former windows environment, where when one thing crashed, everything else went down with it.

I consider OS X to be rock solid, the apps that run on it are not all like that. But after years and years of cursing at my windows box, working on an OS X machine is 'working heaven'.

The fact that it looks good, and has some awesome built in features are just extras. I am never ever switching back.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2005, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by moreno
IF the cursor is close to the left edge of the window, you save time resizing the damn window.

INTEGRATE the 'the lost seconds' resizing with macosx in order to an year, and you will see inovation.
I think the total number seconds I spend in a year on actually resizing windows is probably equivalent to or less than the time I've spent reading and responding to this thread so far.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2005, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Fonzie
Athens, the word is "fault" not "fualt". I know you're in Canada, but is that really an excuse ?
Dyslexics Untie!

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2005, 07:56 AM

Not a Windows fualt but a developers fualt. Most programs will have a REMOVE option with the program or in the Add/Remove control panel. Some have neither. Its hard to really fualt MS for bad programs. Also there are a few Mac Apps I have used that just throwing into the trast only gets ride of apart of it. Having a Central Uninstall system is something I actually Miss in OS X.
I also miss the wonderful piece of crap know as the Windows Registry. Nearly all of the uninstalls I've ever done in Windows result in crap being left behind in the Registry. And if the Registry gets corrupted (which happens quite easily), you can end up not being able to upgrade some applications. I had an install of Adobe Reader fail in the middle and was not able to uninstall nor reinstall. Stuck in an endless loop with the installer saying an installation was already in progress. The only way to fix it was to edit the Registry manually or reinstall Windows.

The Applications folder is a central uninstall system in OS X. Drag the app to the trash. Done. So a preference file is left behind. Whoop-de-doo. Totally innocuous.
( Last edited by msuper69; Jul 8, 2005 at 08:13 AM. )

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69
I also miss the wonderful piece of crap know as the Windows Registry. Nearly all of the uninstalls I've ever done in Windows result in crap being left behind in the Registry. And if the Registry gets corrupted (which happens quite easily), you can end up not being able to upgrade some applications. I had an install of Adobe Reader fail in the middle and was not able to uninstall nor reinstall. Stuck in an endless loop with the installer saying an installation was already in progress. The only way to fix it was to edit the Registry manually or reinstall Windows.

The Applications folder is a central uninstall system in OS X. Drag the app to the trash. Done. So a preference file is left behind. Whoop-de-doo. Totally innocuous.
And even then with spotlight deleting all the prefs and left overs has never been faster and easier .

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
I think the total number seconds I spend in a year on actually resizing windows is probably equivalent to or less than the time I've spent reading and responding to this thread so far.
Exactly !

As another poster mentioned, it is the brain dead developers who make their applications without the capability of remembering the user's window settings.

I too miss the Registry and when I want a fresh OS install, 95% of all the applications must be reinstalled. Boy I love that, feeding my computer CDs, DVDs just for the reinstallation of my apps because the damned OS died.

I could go on, but I wasted enough of my time when I could be resizing my windows.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2005, 12:10 AM

The spyware is mostly users fualt for not reading the fine print on a free program. For viruses while its true the Mac does not have any yet things will change when the Intel Macs come out. It wont be very difficult for PC Viruse makers to try and key word try to start making cross OS viruses. Mac OS X is more secure there is no doubt about that, but Microsoft is a bigger target as well and is more of a focus. Im sure holes will be found in OS X when it starts getting more market share and becomes more of a main OS for the world. If users kept there machines up to date, kept there Virus programs up to date. Didn't download illegla software and music. Used a firewall and bought there software or read the fine print of free software none of those problems would be on a PC. But most users do not do that.
Um, that would be not true. On my PC, I never downloaded shareware or freeware, I had uptated versions of Kaspersky and SpySweeper, a harware firewall, and a software firewall (ZoneAlarm). Still got spyware. Just by browsing. I never downloaded illegal software or music. Still got spyware. You know why? A lot of spyware aint apps. Its cookies, and registry entries.

And lets not forget how much said software programs nag the freaking hell out of you. I cant create anything if focus is being stolen by some securoty app every 10 seconds!!

there is no reason why XP is better, at least not for my purposes. (Amount of software would be one, but I have all the apps I need for now.) Sure you can blame some stuff on developers, but ultimately it comes down to the example MS sets for windows software, as well as their terrible UI Guidelines, ui standards, and ui controls. *yuck*

oh well, were all using Macs here anyway, right? Clearly that means that were all sensible people, if only to a certain extent

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

smithz4096
Jul 9, 2005, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by loki74
1 - thick borders are a waste of space. You can easily see the edge because of the drop shadows. You can resize from the corner.]
I Agree 100%.
Sadly, for example these brushed Metal Finder-Windows have the thickest borders i know.
Wasting space is very common, also on Mac OS!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2005, 07:44 AM

Those are some pretty petty issues. If you think they are worth arguing about, then you need some REAL issues.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2005, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by vja4him
The drop shadows provide this functionality; you can see where one window begins while still being able to see what is behind the "border". This has the advantage of wasting much less space than a border while providing the most important functionality.
I admit, this is one area where I preferred OS9's method. List views had a light gray background (dark gray for the column being sorted on), and the cells were separated by white lines. The effect was very subtle, but it worked well.
[quoite]3- When I click on Sticky Notes, I expect it to open a new Sticky note, but instead it opens to whatever Sticky note somebody else has already opened. This should, by default, open a new Sticky note.[/quote]
It should only do this if there are no sticky notes. This is as per the UI guidelines.
If you have to scroll through your text, then you're probably not actually typing something appropriate for a sticky note anyway. That app is meant for short snippets, not large documents.
5- Seems that most Apple windows are only expandable by grabbing the lower right corner. This is very limiting because I have to find and navigate my mouse to that very tiny little spot and point exactly on it in order to expand or shorten the window size.
Admittedly, this can be a problem for people with motor disabilities, who have trouble moving the mouse to that corner. The tradeoff, however, is that it wastes much less space.
This is how MS Windows is innovative and flexible.
Flexible, maybe, but not innovative. Other UI systems had been doing this for many years.
They make moving and accessing things in the way that people naturally want to instead of forcing people to learn and put up with a certain procedure of doing things.
There is no "natural" method of resizing windows, because windows (as the term applies to computers) do not exist in nature. All GUI behavior is learned; nothing is truly intuitive. You learned once; learn again.
Copy/paste for files is a horrible interface which should never have been invented. If you want to move a file, however, all you have to do is drag the file; no need for right-clicking. You can hold down Option while dragging to copy the file if you wish, or Shift-Option to create an alias. Furthermore, you do not have to be holding these keys from the moment you start dragging; you can change your mind at any time.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Mac & Cheese
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2005, 12:55 PM

This drives me absolutely nuts. How hard can this be? Most of the time, when I put my PC laptop to "sleep," it won't wake up, and it requires a hard restart, losing anything I had. Not to mention that it takes 5 or 10 minutes to start up and load a couple of apps.

If they can't figure it out, then don't have "sleep" as an option. Why even put it there if it doesn't work??

That (and spyware/viruses) trumps all the little "I don't like how you resize windows on a Mac" comments.
Want to read something other than forum posts?
www.rightascension.com

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 03:10 PM

After all these years I'm warming up to Windows. The Mac OS is nice and all but is very similar. Both are stable and well supported. Mac OS is far more tasteful but then Windows is customizable if one is so inclined. It is technologically rather backwards, but looks like that will change with the Longhorn release.

As an OS there isn't much wrong with Windows as it is today. Not fundamentally anyway. Times have changed.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2005, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by vja4him
-- California Windows User
I'm amazed no one posted this yet

-t

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2005, 05:59 PM

mac osx vs windows?

just today.

mac osx -- TIGER 10.4.2 update released today

Windows - Microsoft issues three "critical" security alerts and warns that miscreants are already exploiting two holes in Windows to breach systems

i'll be sure to chalk one up in the "nuff said" column on my way out.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2005, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
As an OS there isn't much wrong with Windows as it is today. Not fundamentally anyway. ...
Um, Windows is fundamentally flawed due to it's asinine design, especially the OS architecture.

What planet did you just drop in from?

vja4him  (op)
Jul 13, 2005, 06:09 PM

turtle777 (and anyone else .....) -- Just for your information, I am NOT A TROLL!!! At least somebody else who has been following this thread could clearly see that!!! If you would take the time to read this thread carefully, you would CLEARLY SEE that I have simply posted some questions that my roommate has brought up regarding his frustration with Mac, while using my G4 iBook.

I've been making some progress with getting my roommate to settle down and learn how to use the Mac OS X. He has not made any complaints in several days!! Interesting. Thanks to those who have taken their time to offer their intelligent suggestions, I've been able to explain some of the differences between Windows and Mac OS X.

Thanks to everyone who has been helpful, by taking their time and going through each of the points that my roommate made against the Mac OS. I've even learned quite a bit myself, as I am a new OS X user (since June 2004). Not a new Mac user though. I still use System 9.1 on my ancient PowerMac 7300/500 (and sometimes System 8.6), which I just fired up again today to burn more of my old files on my ancient SCSI 2x CD burner, to transfer to my iBook.

-- vjamacaddict, G4 iBook, OS X 10.3.9, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by turtle777
I'm amazed no one posted this yet

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules