Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can I get Avery label sheet format in Address book?

Can I get Avery label sheet format in Address book?
Topaz
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2010, 11:47 AM

I am trying to print address labels on an Avery J8160 A4 sheet containing 21 labels per sheet. Is there a way I can import the Avery sheet format into Address Book to achieve this please?

OreoCookie
Sep 27, 2010, 12:21 PM

Why do you need to import anything, on 10.6 at least, the J8160's layout is already included:
(1) Select the addresses you would like to print.
(2) Hit File > Print in the menu.
(3) Choose the Address Book option from the pop-up menu (just below From: ... To: ...).
(4) Select the Layout tab. Choose Avery A4 (instead of Avery Standard which uses Letter) and then J8160 from the drop-down menu just to the right.

Since I occasionally print on Avery labels as well, I know that this functionality has been present since at least 10.4
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Topaz  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2010, 06:30 AM

Yes, thanks for the reply. I found it eventually after posting. I never realised OSX Address Book had all these benefits. No need for MS Access/Word now!

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 28, 2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Yes, thanks for the reply. I found it eventually after posting. I never realised OSX Address Book had all these benefits. No need for MS Access/Word now!
Access and Word have their place. But not on my Mac. At least not for my own stuff.

You can also make such labels from Excel (whatever version), but it's a pain. And Entourage will sorta do the same thing, but you have to gut the chicken just right and the phase of the moon has to be appropriate (yes, that's a joke). But Address Book is a full service app; my Christmas card mailing labels come from Address Book with little effort...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Topaz  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2010, 12:08 PM

Ok got all that sorted and virtually complete to print but ..... why can't I get the "country" entry to show in PDF preview? The entry panel is there in the address field but whenever I enter a country, e.g. USA, it doesn't show in the preview. I have sorted this now by entering the country in the postcode panel and it is successful in showing. I add that I am using the UK address format so does this matter? Is there a limit on how many lines of text in the address? It does seem strange however that the option to enter a country is there but won't show my entry in the PDF. Will I have to reformat these international addresses in different formats according to the country of destination?

OreoCookie
Sep 28, 2010, 12:45 PM

There should be a checkbox `Print: Country' in the Address Book in the tab `Label' with the additional option `Except my country'.

Regarding international addresses, you can pick a format for each contact. By default, it uses the format selected in the System Prefs.
(1) Select a contact whose address format you want to change.
(2) Click Edit on the lower-right.
(3) Click in `work' or `home' and choose Change Address Format > [country of choice].

The printing options respect the address format chosen for each contact.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2010, 07:21 PM

Strange, I don't see any Avery option in the print option. Do you have to install anything? I only see generic names like DL, Official 6, ISO C6, etc

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 29, 2010, 08:13 PM

Address Book > Style, select Mailing Labels, click the Layout tab. You get the Avery options in the Page box.

andi*pandi
Sep 30, 2010, 04:59 PM

This is excellent to know and a reason to finally convert from Palm Desktop; I'd been exporting my contacts and putting them in an inDesign template.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 30, 2010, 05:02 PM

Export/convert/format/print is a lot of work. I'd been doing that to get Word to print labels, but now that I've picked up this tip, there's a lot of work I won't have to do. Very nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules