Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Where is my Powerbook?

Where is my Powerbook?
Saterik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2004, 08:50 AM

I ordered a BTO 15inch Powerbook last Monday from the Applestore UK. It said it shipped the next day, and I got an email from Apple to confirm that.

Looking at the order tracking via both the Apple site and apecode, it was shipped on Tuesday the 12th, and then departed on the flight on the 13th. However, the information about it departing on the flight did not appear on the site until Friday the 15th.

There is still no update on the Apple website, the apecode website, and when I type my tracking number on the TNT website, its still not found.

I'm really confused as to where it is, could it be that its just not been scanned and updated or something? As I was hoping I would get it tommorow, and that appeared to be what Apple suggested in their original email. But I'm not so sure now.

This seems to be the only thing Apple has let me down on so far, is the shipping.

swiftp
Oct 17, 2004, 09:04 AM

Try calling them tomorrow. I had the same problem recently with mine (tracking number did not tell me very much). I called the Apple Store and they told me exactly where it was, even which city it was in.

When they said it was in my city (Aberdeen) it was delivered the next day.

Oh, and by the way, it does take a week or so to get from Taiwan where it originates.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2004, 09:08 AM

Last week was a major holiday in China, so business was at a crawl, thereby slowing down most all shipping.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Saterik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2004, 05:37 AM

Well I phoned Apple, and I am pretty dissapointed now.

Firstly the operator explained to me the route the Powerbook took to get to me, and she said that it was on its way from Taiwan, which I know isn't the case, and I don't even work for Apple.

She then said she couldn't tell me where it was, because it hasn't arrived in Holland yet with TNT, despite leaving on a plane for there 6 days ago.

And my original e-mail confirmed I would have it today, and she now just said, I should have it at the end of the week.

So my question as to where it is, still lies unanswered.

milkmanchris
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2004, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by Saterik:
Well I phoned Apple, and I am pretty dissapointed now.

Firstly the operator explained to me the route the Powerbook took to get to me, and she said that it was on its way from Taiwan, which I know isn't the case, and I don't even work for Apple.

How do you know its not coming from Taiwan ???

For what its worth mine took about 10 days Friday to Monday, Taiwan to York.

12" 1.33 G4 PB 80GB 768MB .....20GB iPod

Saterik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2004, 06:56 AM

Because it was built and shipped from Apple Shanghai on the order tracking. Not to mention its common knowledge on here that they build Powerbooks there; I was suprised she did not mention that.

milkmanchris
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2004, 07:05 AM

Mine was built and shipped from Tawain.

12" 1.33 G4 PB 80GB 768MB .....20GB iPod

Saterik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by milkmanchris:
Mine was built and shipped from Tawain.
From what I've read, they used to be built and shipped from Taiwan, but Apple changed to manafacturing the Powerbooks in Shanghai.

meatyocre
Oct 19, 2004, 10:09 AM

FYI: Just received a BTO PB 15" on Oct. 14 and it shipped out of Shanghai.

Saterik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2004, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by meatyocre:
FYI: Just received a BTO PB 15" on Oct. 14 and it shipped out of Shanghai.
How long did it take to reach you?

As I can't work out whether you are from the US or not, as Lancaster is an area over here in the UK!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2004, 10:25 AM

Lancaster, PA, is the giveaway. Pennsylvania, United States.
Shanghai and Taiwan are close enough that even if it a PB was built in Shanghai, it still might go to Taiwan for processing, mass shipping.
You should have ordered the fastest shipping method if you're in such a hurry.

Saterik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2004, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Lancaster, PA, is the giveaway. Pennsylvania, United States.
Shanghai and Taiwan are close enough that even if it a PB was built in Shanghai, it still might go to Taiwan for processing, mass shipping.
You should have ordered the fastest shipping method if you're in such a hurry.
That's how Apple UK (and Europe for that matter) differs from Apple America though, we appear to get stiffed. There is no option for fast shipping, there is just the "Intenational Express Shipping" which is free for all orders over a certain price.

From what I gather, its shipped from China by Kuehne and Nagel logistics to Luxemborg, where it is then processed and handed to TNT courier service who deliver it to the UK.

The reason I am flustered about the whole thing is that I am actually about to leave the country next Tuesday to work abroad for 8 months, which is why I ordered it. With an estimated delivery time of 3-5 days, an item worth nearly 2 grand and international express shipping... I imagined it would be like other items I have ordered internationally before and would turn up within a few days... this however does not appear to be the case with Apple, whether they are cost cutting by not using a direct courier such as UPS or whatever, I don't know.

From the momment the order tracking thing didn't appear to be doing much, I started looking at various Mac forums past posts, and it appears that there are lots of horror stories about Macs taking like two weeks for delivery, or so.

Here is my order history thus far:

From the Apple Order Page:

Shipment Picked UP SHANGHAI, SH, CN 11 Oct 20042 0:00
Shipment Picked Up (CNSHA02) 12 Oct 2004 05:10
Depart Terminal (CNSHA02) 13 Oct 2004 22:00

Then from the Apecode site:

13 okt 04 32 55 flight departed Apple Shanghai
13 okt 04 32 05 Flight Booked Kuehne & Nagel Shanghai
12 okt 04 30 60 departed from product source K&N Shanghai
12 okt 04 05 00 boxes scanned Kuehne & Nagel Shanghai
12 okt 04 00 05 Data received from supplierApple Shanghai
12 okt 04 30 64 Departed from source Apple Shanghai

Still no appearence of the item on the TNT website.
It would therefore have appeared to have been sat on a plane for a week now... where is it? Did it crash?

Today was the date I was originally told it would be delivered, and as working hours draw to a close, its not looking likely.

I'm really worried its going to come to late now, and if its not here by Friday, I'm going to have to go out and try and find a laptop in the high street shops or something.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2004, 10:43 AM

Ok, that explains it much more clearly. And I didn't realise that about shipping as I've had good luck so far with shipping from Apple in the US and Singapore.

Saterik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2004, 03:14 PM

Well it finally mysteriously made a move on the order tracking again. It came up with this on the Apple site, about two hours after it happened:

Depart Terminal LUXEMBOURG, LU, LU 19 Oct 2004 15:02

and then a little later on the apecode site:

19 okt 04 30 10 departed direct Apple Shanghai

So I would assume it was never scanned properly and it should be in Holland by now if it left at 3pm. Still nothing on TNT though.

meatyocre
Oct 19, 2004, 04:03 PM

Just FYI:

Here are the Tracking Details from SHANGHAI to Lancaster, PA USA. Pretty impressive from a logistics standpoint.

Oct 14, 2004 9:57 AM Delivered LANCASTER, PA

4:11 AM At dest sort facility MIDDLETOWN, PA

Oct 13, 2004 4:01 PM In transit INDIANAPOLIS, IN

Departed location 12:58 AM Int'l shipment release
INDIANAPOLIS, IN

Oct 12, 2004 3:45 PM In transit ANCHORAGE, AK Departed location

1:27 PM In transit ANCHORAGE, AK

Oct 11, 2004 11:30 PM At local FedEx facility SHANGHAI CN

2:35 PM Left origin SHANGHAI CN

2:30 PM Picked up SHANGHAI CN Future delivery requested 9:56 AM

Package data transmitted to FedEx;

Seamless order experience!

Saterik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2004, 04:34 PM

That's what you get with a proper dedicated international courier, and that's usally the kind of service I've had in the past with any international order I've made.

That's why I am very dissapointed that I've paid a considerable ammount of money and got a second class delivery service.

adambooth
Oct 19, 2004, 04:40 PM

Whenever I order anything from Apple, I don't pay extra for the shipping. I use the free included shipping. Best thing is to not think about it, and just wait. I live about ~300 miles from Anchorage so I always get my stuff the next day, if not two days from the time it gets shipped.

Saterik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2004, 05:12 PM

Just thought I'd say I'm hugely relieved as my Powerbook arrived this afternoon. TNT got it last night and it was shipped from there to the UK like an express couried item should.

I'm really impressed with it, and its my first Mac. I was amazed how well it worked out of the box as well, instantly detected my wireless router and downloading the updates.

vinster
Senior User
Oct 22, 2004, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by Saterik:
Just thought I'd say I'm hugely relieved as my Powerbook arrived this afternoon. TNT got it last night and it was shipped from there to the UK like an express couried item should.

I'm really impressed with it, and its my first Mac. I was amazed how well it worked out of the box as well, instantly detected my wireless router and downloading the updates.
I summarized the UK delivery process when I was living there and ordered a 15" PB back in April. Quite a few steps along the way and the main reason it stalls in the middle is due to customs.

Here's the link.

Cheers,

Forum Links
Forum Rules