Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 rebootable repair

9.1 rebootable repair
nemo
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2001, 08:18 PM

I've been trying to figure this out for days, symantec's site was useless, I've searched here apple and macfixit also, no joy.

I'd like to make a rebootable cd with norton on it, I have the os9.1 update via download and os9.0 as my system cd. Alternatively I could make a zip version but my zip drive is scsi, which requires extensions to run. (g4 with adaptec 2906 card) I tried it, yet it didn't work. I tried it the iomega way using iomega tools, but 'the operation failed'. rendering my disk unreadable.

I have toast 4.12 if I choose mac files and folders and command drag my 9.1 system folder over, this doesn't work, it is not recognised as a startup volume. If I choose mac volumes it gives me the whole hard disk. (do I need to make a disk image from my system cd then burn it as a volume)

There is a way of doing this using a ram disk, restart using system cd after setting up a ram disk, use disk first aid to format it and copy norton or whatever over. when I get to the disk first aid bit it doesn't recognise the ram disk properly, it says it can not be fixed. I've also tried using scsi probe with the zip drive but that didn't work either, this thing is driving me insane!

Surely there's a way, is it possible to run your utility repair program off a rebootable system cd, if so how do I make one. If not what should I do, given my scsi peripherals.

Thanks

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2001, 08:54 PM

The only files you NEED to make a bootable CD are :

Finder
System
System Resources
Mac OS ROM
Text Encoding Converter (make another folder within the System Folder named "Extensions" and place it there.
Once you create you CD image, make sure to click the "Data" button in Toast and check the "Make bootable" checkbox.
Burn away.

Scott

nemo  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2001, 05:21 AM

thanks! would I be able to run a disk repair application from this disk?

Flurk
Apr 15, 2001, 06:23 AM

I guess you will need at least the file "Norton Shared Lib" in the extensions folder if you use Norton (beware you will need Norton 6, don't use Norton 5)
Good alternatives are DiskWarrior and Techtool Pro.
Check for information on their websites if you need an extension to run them.

[This message has been edited by Flurk (edited 04-15-2001).]

Cipher13
Apr 15, 2001, 06:51 AM

Heres my suggestion:

Install a Core System onto your disk

Boot from it. Install and register Norton and nothing else.

Make a temporary partition using Toast.

Copy the core system + Norton stuff to that partition

Burn it with the "bootable" option. Easy. If you want a step by step walkthrough, just ask me, but I won't be here for a week, so...

------------------

nemo  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2001, 08:32 AM

IT'S ALIVE!!
thanks all, I now have a 'reboot & repair' cd which works.
here's what I did;
restarted frm os9 cd
put these files (thanks scott) in a folder named reboot & repair
Finder
System
System Resources
Mac OS ROM
Text Encoding Converter (make another folder within the System Folder named "Extensions" and place it there.
Once you create you CD image, make sure to click the "Data" button in Toast and check the "Make bootable" checkbox.
also I added the startup control panel, my scsi card extension and a few other saucy sundries to make life easier.
Used disk copy to make an image (.img) opened that and dropped in onto toast.
toast recognised it as a volume, I clicked data (got stuck here for a while as toast defaults at optimise on the fly) unchecked all, except rebootable.
burn baby burn!

nb: to run optimising apps (ie speed disk) copy this to either a zip or a ram disk after restarting with the cd. (any unlocked volume)

[This message has been edited by nemo (edited 04-15-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules