Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 and themes

9.1 and themes
hoopz
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2001, 06:20 AM

Surprisingly, one area in which 9.1 seems to be much more stable (in my experience) is themes. For example, one of my old third-party favorites, Geometry (available for the time being at http://www.uk-imp.com) caused my pre-2000 AGP G4/400 to be extremely unstable under 9.0.4, while under 9.1 it's been solid as a rock so far. However, certain other themes (eg, LCD or the DSG theme) simply don't register in the Appearance control panel even when placed in the themes folder, so obviously the implementation is not perfect. Nevertheless it seems to me to be much improved. (A good place to get new themes is http://www.macosr.com/php/query/files/index.php3?cat=th )

[This message has been edited by hoopz (edited 01-26-2001).]

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2001, 01:33 AM

That's weird. Both of those themes work on my computer (iMac DV, OS 9.1). I will agree with you on the stability though, I haven't had problems yet.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

bookrat
Jan 29, 2001, 07:16 AM

I never realised that themes could cause problems. How would these problems manifest themselves?

------------------
post_count+1
qp
post_count+1
qp

hoopz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2001, 06:52 PM

In response to Bookrat: just to clarify, I'm not talking about the standard themes that come with the system: to my knowlege, these don't cause problems. The third-party themes out there can be problematic, since they are not often updated and are written to take advantage of OS 8.5's rather liberal theme 'hooks'; my understanding is that after 8.5, Apple did kind of an about face regarding themes, deciding not to support radical GUI alteration, resulting in the fairly anemic themes now included in the system.
Anyway (apologies if you already knew all that!), the problems I encountered using third party themes (and the original Apple themes Drawing Board and Hi-Tech) were fairly drastic: startup crashes, freezes, 'the Finder has unexpectedly quit,' that sort of thing. Very unstable. BTW, I lost the original Apple themes in a crash. . .alas I can't provide them. They can be found out there, but Apple discouraged their dissemination (intellectual property, don't you know!)

bookrat
Jan 29, 2001, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the clarification hoopz. The reason I asked is that I am using the Aqua theme which I think is a 3rd party theme. How were you finally able to attribute the problems to the themes themselves? For example if my machine crashes every now and then I know that the problems occur when I have run a certain apps (eg. when I run IE and OE together my system will reset itself 8 out of 10 times) how do you know when it's caused by themes?

------------------
post_count+1
qp
post_count+1
qp

hoopz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2001, 12:54 AM

In my case, it was obvious that the themes caused the crashing: the second I selected the offending theme, the crashing commenced. Often I would have to start up with all extensions off just to have enough stability to deselect the theme.

[Aqua theme, huh? I would imagine Apple's lawyers would take a dim view of that. . .]

Forum Links
Forum Rules