Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Using GarageBand with multiple mics

Using GarageBand with multiple mics
zgall1
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2007, 07:46 AM

I would like to start a podcast and I am going to be using GarageBand (at first) before I move into anything more complicated. I was wondering if it was easy to hook up multiple USB mics to the software in order to record 2 or 3 people having a conversation (in a radio-like style). Any other tips on starting my own podcast (without spending any serious money) would be appreciated.

bmcgonag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by zgall1 View Post
I would like to start a podcast and I am going to be using GarageBand (at first) before I move into anything more complicated. I was wondering if it was easy to hook up multiple USB mics to the software in order to record 2 or 3 people having a conversation (in a radio-like style). Any other tips on starting my own podcast (without spending any serious money) would be appreciated.
Not sure about setting up multiple mics, but I think the problem is the issue of only being able to record one track at a time. If you want all voices on the same track, then just all sit around a general use single mic.

But if you want different voices on different tracks, you could use separate machines to record each person, then move their track into Garage band. If you start recording on all machines at once it's as easy as just setting the tracks at the beginning of the timeline.

You could use the Mac mic for one, any other laptop or desktop for another, and one of those little digital recorders for the third. Each could have it's own mic, and you could potentiall start each recording at the same time. I think eliminating voice carry over may be a bit of an issue as well, it will depend on the quality of the mics you are using.

Best,

Brian
Brian <- That's me
www.osxtechtips.com

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2007, 10:31 AM

Well could you not just set up each mic to a different instrument?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2007, 11:19 AM

Garageband Podcasting Tips : The Daily Priapism : The Penis Head Chronicles : Joseph D. B. Ferguson :

Garageband supports multiple-track recording, so you'll just need multiple USB mics.

bmcgonag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Garageband Podcasting Tips : The Daily Priapism : The Penis Head Chronicles : Joseph D. B. Ferguson :

Garageband supports multiple-track recording, so you'll just need multiple USB mics.
I learn something new every day, thanks! and Sorry for the mislead.

Brian
Brian <- That's me
www.osxtechtips.com

josephdbferguson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2007, 10:04 AM

I was wondering where all the traffic was coming from, if you need some more tips let me know, I made the write up about using garageband, and I am working on another for podcasts in general. Its not difficult to do, its actually really fun.

But let me know what else you would like to learn about

: The Daily Priapism : The Penis Head Chronicles : Joseph D. B. Ferguson :

josephdbferguson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2007, 10:57 AM

I uploaded a video that I made last night to make this a little easier.

The uploading did some poop compression, well good compression created poor quality.

I still have the original, if I need to I can make a download link for it.

check out the link now, there is a video, hope this helps!

Forum Links
Forum Rules