Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Online Community and "Thread Ownership"

Online Community and "Thread Ownership"
ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2011, 10:53 PM

I'm not sure how common my own ideas about starting a discussion thread are; what it means to start a discussion thread, or how a thread I may have started should progress. So I'll ask some questions and see if what I think is at all similar to what our revered membership collectively thinks.

First, what does it mean to you, a MacNN forum member when you start a thread? Does that give you "ownership" of the thread? "Authorship" of the thread? Does it give you any special privileges over the thread aside from the expectation that the staff will try to keep the thread fairly on topic (unless that's obviously not the point)?

Does having started a thread mean you might have a say in who participates? Does it mean that you may want the option of narrowing the focus of the thread, or of shifting it to something suggested by the other participants?

Finally, does starting a thread mean that the progress of the thread must be about the author and/or the author's intents and desires, or should it progress the way the discussion participants jointly lead it?

<Sits back to see what happens with the above posers....>

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2011, 12:06 AM

It'd be nice if the thread creator had the ability to delete/hide any posts in the thread that they feel as derailing.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2011, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Does that give you "ownership" of the thread? "Authorship" of the thread? Does it give you any special privileges over the thread aside from the expectation that the staff will try to keep the thread fairly on topic (unless that's obviously not the point)?
No.

Does having started a thread mean you might have a say in who participates?
No.

Does it mean that you may want the option of narrowing the focus of the thread, or of shifting it to something suggested by the other participants?
No.

Finally, does starting a thread mean that the progress of the thread must be about the author and/or the author's intents and desires,
No.

or should it progress the way the discussion participants jointly lead it
Yes.
It's called "having a conversation".

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
It'd be nice if the thread creator had the ability to delete/hide any posts in the thread that they feel as derailing.
That's what Hitler said.
Did I win?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2011, 01:04 AM

First, what does it mean to you, a MacNN forum member when you start a thread?
It means "Have at it, ya scurvy rats!"

Does that give you "ownership" of the thread?
All contents of these forums © 1995-2011 MacNN. All rights reserved.

Does it give you any special privileges over the thread aside from the expectation that the staff will try to keep the thread fairly on topic (unless that's obviously not the point)?
Off topic is often more interesting.

Does having started a thread mean you might have a say in who participates?
There should be no limitations on who participates.*

* Except for cripples, and maybe the Irish.

Does it mean that you may want the option of narrowing the focus of the thread, or of shifting it to something suggested by the other participants?
I'd like this thread to be about blue cars. Small blue cars. With dents.

Unworkable.

Finally, does starting a thread mean that the progress of the thread must be about the author and/or the author's intents and desires, or should it progress the way the discussion participants jointly lead it?
Wait! I start a thread and people on the internet will fulfil my desires?! FOR FREE?!!!

<off to start a Lederhosen and Jelly thread>

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2011, 03:18 AM

When I start a thread I'm asking for advice, amd hopefully knowledgeable folks will post their ideas. I do not believe that I own a post simply because I started it, this is a public forum, so no, I don't expect to have any more privileges than anyone else. Of course I can always write a new post asking folks to stay on topic, say, but that's just a request. Regarding the author's intent and desire, well again no control on the OP's part, but the expectation would be to stay on topic for technical stuff, and free associate in the Lounge and in more general posts that just comment about things rather than needing a solution.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2011, 03:26 AM

I iz in ur forum, pwning ur bitz.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2011, 07:32 AM

So who likes cheese then?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Nov 29, 2011, 07:53 AM

Wensleydale? I love Wensleydale!

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2011, 09:54 AM

Chedder!

dav
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2011, 10:52 AM

so i'm finally retiring the PowerMac G5, and purchasing a new iMac. Lion, and i7, and SSD - oh my!
one post closer to five stars

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2011, 11:35 AM

Doof for Pres !!!!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2011, 11:35 AM

But this should have been in the Feedback forum. Or is that going to move/be merged as well?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2011, 11:36 AM

I can't even imagine the lunacy that would occur if some of you crackpots were able to delete posts and control thread discussion...
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2011, 11:43 AM

I suggest Free-for-All Fridays, in which two random users (must have been active within the last 72 hours) get full mod privileges for 24 hours.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I can't even imagine the lunacy that would occur if some of you crackpots were able to delete posts and control thread discussion...
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I suggest Free-for-All Fridays, in which two random users (must have been active within the last 72 hours) get full mod privileges for 24 hours.
Some in the legal profession might say 'Case Closed' about now.

andi*pandi
Nov 29, 2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
Regarding the author's intent and desire, well again no control on the OP's part, but the expectation would be to stay on topic for technical stuff, and free associate in the Lounge and in more general posts that just comment about things rather than needing a solution.

I would add however, that members who have disagreed in one thread on say, cars, should not bring that animosity into say, a thread about blu-ray players. It wrecks the thread for everyone not just the OP.

Tiresias
Nov 29, 2011, 12:19 PM

Speaking of cheese, does anyone know a home remedy for restless leg syndrome?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Speaking of cheese, does anyone know a home remedy for restless leg syndrome?
Sledgehammer.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Doof for Pres !!!!
Now you're talking!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Why do I hear a villianous laugh in the back of my mind when I read that one.

Maybe we should title it "MacNN Blackout Day", because by the end of the day, there might be no MacNN forum left.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2011, 07:51 PM

Does that give you "ownership" of the thread?
No
"Authorship" of the thread? Does it give you any special privileges over the thread aside from the expectation that the staff will try to keep the thread fairly on topic (unless that's obviously not the point)?
No
Does having started a thread mean you might have a say in who participates? Does it mean that you may want the option of narrowing the focus of the thread, or of shifting it to something suggested by the other participants?
No, there is no such thing as thread derailment, because everyone is capable of going in their own direction at the same time, or bringing back to the original direction. I dont know why this is ever an issue.
No

Tiresias
Dec 1, 2011, 10:04 AM

^ The last is not a yes-no question.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2011, 10:42 AM

First, what does it mean to you, a MacNN forum member when you start a thread? Does that give you "ownership" of the thread? "Authorship" of the thread? Does it give you any special privileges over the thread aside from the expectation that the staff will try to keep the thread fairly on topic (unless that's obviously not the point)?

Starting a thread means I choose the initial topic. If the thread is boring, runs out of steam, or the question is answered, then derailment is fine. No special privileges, no say in who participates, but yes clarification and narrowing or shifting of the original topic.

Depends on the thread. There are many posts where the intent of the author is only to share a news event. In those cases, the intent is usually complete in the very first post and then the discussion goes wherever it goes naturally.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Ω
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2011, 06:06 AM

Sometimes I think a thread is created with tight parameters so it doesn't get post crapped.

Case in point was always the Tour de France threads where people wanted to discuss the race only and not the doping allegations that always ensue. In this instance I think the respects of the OP should be respected and a new thread created to remove the controversy to a separate thread where the allegations can be thrashed out.

Only an example but shows how ownership could be moderated to try and ensure that the thread lives up to the OP's expectations.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Dec 4, 2011, 10:12 PM

So it seems my thoughts were indeed pretty common. Except for some edge conditions, we all seem to feel that starting threads gets the ball rolling and that's about it. Recent discussions in the Feedback forum, and some rather angsty reports of supposed "bad behavior" made me wonder.

Forum Links
Forum Rules