Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 Extensions ALL Freeze

9.1 Extensions ALL Freeze
DDG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2001, 10:47 AM

Here's the deal:

I prepared my G4 (according to Apple's Read Me file for 9.1) to upgrade from 9.0.4 to 9.1. One thing Apple recommends before installation is restarting with "MacOS 9.0.4 ALL" extensions to prevent possible conflicts from 3rd party software. I did this, ran the 9.1 install, all went well, installation was complete and I clicked restart.

So far so good. Splash screen came up, all the control panels loaded across the bottom, my desktop image loaded up, then that was it. My icons never loaded, and the menu never loaded. I thought the computer froze up, but I can still move the mouse. Mouse icon showed the turning dial as if something was working in the background. But no matter how long I waited, it never proceeded. I force quit the finder, clicked OK, and then everything proceeded as it should: all my desktop files popped up and the menu popped up. I of course then got the little window message stating that the Finder has quit (because of my force quit) but everything seems to run fine after that.

I then tried rebooting with "My Settings" in Ext. Manager and everything went fine. This problem only happens when I select "Mac OS 9.1 ALL" in Ext. Manager and I can replicate it every time. This only popped up once I installed 9.1. What gives? Shouldn't Apple only extensions be the safest set regarding no conflicts?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Allah
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2001, 04:31 PM

Despite having one of the most easy to use installers Apple's installers tend to install stuff you won't need. Stuff for other Macs, like PowerBooks. I would look through my extensions and trash any such. Likewise if there are any that my Mac would need if I used those features I would disable them.

------------------
Carp� Bandwidth
Carp� Bandwidth

VRL
Senior User
Apr 9, 2001, 04:21 AM

In addition, I give the Extensions Manager control panel more memory (getinfo window).
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

DDG  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2001, 09:01 AM

Thanks for your input. I have found the cause of the problem from a Forum on Apple's Support site.

The culprit is Fire wire. If you have an external fire wire device such as a hard drive or cd burner plugged in when you start up in 9.1, there is a long pause (several minutes from what I understand) before it finishes loading to the desktop. I followed the guys advice and sure enough he was right. What boggles me is that this problem happens only when I restart with "Mac OS ALL" extensions but not under "My Settings."

Forum Links
Forum Rules