Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 and 'rescued items'

9.1 and 'rescued items'
Lint
Jan 15, 2001, 04:38 PM

Since my upgrade to 9.1 I have been getting, at boot, files in my trash in the folder "Items rescued from <boot volume>" in which contains a file called something like "resfile-####" # being some number. Anyone else having this experience? Id like to confirm if its a 9.1 thing or some weird interaction with some app or extension. I can,, however, say with certainty that this did *not* occur with the same config under 9.0.4

TroyConrad
Jan 15, 2001, 09:05 PM

This is because there was a bug in all previous versions of 9.0 that caused the Finder to not properly empty the "Temporary Items" folder after a reboot. (It worked fine in 8.6 and earlier and is FINALLY fixed in 9.1.) Those files in your Trash are the files that were left by some errant app in the Temporary Items folder. If you crash while working on an unsaved document, you can sometimes recover your work using those "Rescued Items". Otherwise, they're safe to trash.

-Troy Conrad
troyconrad.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules