Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9 and CDRW and Toast

OS9 and CDRW and Toast
nbvail
Nov 30, 1999, 11:55 PM

Has anyone used their CDRW and Toast 3.57 or 4.0 with OS9?

sebuchen
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 1999, 01:43 AM

Yep, I've used toast 3.5.7 with OS 9. You can't mount an image file on the desktop, but you CAN burn a CD with one. Other than that it works fine.

penginkun
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 1999, 01:49 AM

Well, I never tried 3.5.x, but 4 seemed to work well under 9, for as long as 9 worked for me. Your milage may vary, of course.

caleach
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 1999, 11:27 AM

I tried using 4.0 last night and kept getting a box saying there was an unrecognized driver and that problems may occur It suggested disabling the driver, but I don't know how to do that. I am using it with a TEAC CD-R which orignally came with Chrismac and is on a SCSI connection.

fleshhorn
Dec 1, 1999, 01:09 PM

I use Toast Deluxe 4 and OS 9 with a 4X4X16 Yamaha HiVal SCSI CDRW. Everything seems to work fine except mounting Toast Images, which is Adaptec's job to fix.

pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 1999, 10:32 AM

According to Adaptec's website, Toast 4.01 update is supposed to resolve all OS9 issues.

As a note, the problem with the unknown driver stems from the fact that the Apple CD/DVD driver loads before the Toast CD Reader does. I fixed this problem by placing a space before the Toast CD Reader extension name. That way the driver loads before the Apple CD/DVD driver.

NOTE OF WARNING. Other people have reported that if the Toast CD Reader extension actually loads and initializes underyour CDR/CD-RW under MacOS9, it can lock your Mac up. This is an issues Toast 4.01 is supposed to resolve.

Here's hoping they release the 4.01 update soon!

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

ncowles
Dec 5, 1999, 07:01 PM

If anyone is having troubles with a Sony Spressa USB CDRW like I was, I think I found a way to make it work quite well under Mac OS 9 with Toast 4 Deluxe. First, install the Discribe software that came with the Spressa, then disable the CD-ROM Extension V1.24 that it comes with (this extension doesn't work with OS 9, it will cause hangups when you try to restart or shutdown). Next, install Toast 4 Deluxe and choose Quit instead of restart when the installation finishes. In the Extensions Manager, disable the whole group of Toast extensions (it may be work to leave on Toast CD Reader if you absolutely have to be able to read CD's through your Spressa) and then restart. Open up Toast and it should see your Spressa with no problems because it will be using the Discribe drivers. The Toast drivers work, but they make Toast act funny. On my machine with the Toast drivers, Toast thought that the disk was done before it really was, so I had to quit out of it and let my Spressa finish writing. Hope this helps. Please email me if your experience is different than mine or if you have questions. Thanks.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 1999, 01:16 PM

I'm having problems connecting using the Que drive and Toast 4. I try to burn an Audio CD and keep getting Type 2 errors? if this a problem with Toast 4.0 the Que drive and Mac OS 9? It doesn't bother me too much I can make them MP3's and the burn them but it is strange that I can't even burn it at 1X.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules