Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2007 Mac Pro

2007 Mac Pro
crowe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2015, 09:25 PM

I have been using a Mac Pro Desktop for almost 8 years and it has been the best computer I have ever had. I use it for photography and I have done a ton of work on it problem free. Never a crash. Particulars:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 9 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005D.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.7f10
Serial Number (system):
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F20F3FE6

Now, however, my OS (10.6.8 Snow Leopard) is too far behind the newer photo software which leaves me in a pickle. I have read that there is a method of installing Yosemite on it with the proper hack so that it can use the 64 bit kernel with the .eff (I think that is how it was abbreviated) that will "thunk" the processor and allow the Yosemite to work. That also entails changing graphics cards and on and on. I am a photographer not a computer tech so that may not work for me.

I just started looking at iMac and Mac Pro as I still am doing a lot of digital photographic work but not near as much as I used to. The costs are something I am not quite prepared to pay being as there is nothing wrong with my Mac Pro except for the OS. I am looking for advice and guidance and was hoping that I could find that here. Any response will be helpful. It is not the money, mind you, it is that attachment to a computer that has been "Golden" for me in my work. Thanks. crowe

foo2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2015, 09:56 PM

At the very least you should be able to put 10.7.5 on there. What photo software do you want, and what OS does it require?

Procedure: How I installed Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on my 2006 MacPro 1,1 | Jabbawok's Blog ... doesn't look too hard....
iMac 3.3/i5 (2015) 24GB 2TB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.5 (2014) 16GB 500GB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.3 (2012) 16GB 250GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.4 (2010) 9GB 120GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.0 (E-2009) 4GB 120GB 10.13

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 8, 2015, 11:04 PM

The computer itself is 64 bit. You're correct in saying that the EFI is the issue, as that, and only that is 32 bit on the 1,1.

While technically this is a hack, its a pretty low-impact one. The procedure varies a slight bit, OS version depending. What version are you looking at going to?

crowe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2015, 01:55 AM

I'd like to go to Yosemite but Mavericks would be fine. I am running Snow Leopard and can upgrade to Lion but I have read a lot of very mixed reviews concerning Lion. I'm on the fence as to which as I just started realizing that I need to upgrade the OS as some of the software requires a later OS, or, it says it does. I love the Mac Pro I have but am not a computer confident person when it comes to this type of hardware upgrade and getting into the registry. I don't know enough about the programming skills this may take. Recommendations are appreciated.

foo2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2015, 01:59 AM

Perhaps you should sell the Mac Pro and get a nice new iMac. You'll typically get quite a bit more speed and it will be fully supported by Apple, no hacking required.
iMac 3.3/i5 (2015) 24GB 2TB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.5 (2014) 16GB 500GB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.3 (2012) 16GB 250GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.4 (2010) 9GB 120GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.0 (E-2009) 4GB 120GB 10.13

P
Jan 9, 2015, 08:38 AM

Can you tell us what graphics card you have? That determines how hard it is to get a more modern OS version running on it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

crowe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2015, 04:07 PM

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT:
I think this is it.

If not what category is it listed under in "About This Mac"?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 9, 2015, 04:24 PM

Aye, there's the rub. Newer OSes require better video chipsets.

P
Jan 9, 2015, 04:46 PM

Yup. You need a more powerful card that still supports that old Mac, and that is where the problem comes up. Radeon X1900 XT is the other option that that model came with - if you can find one used, that would work. At this point, I would look at a newer model, though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

crowe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2015, 05:06 PM

The problem with Mac's isn't that they go out of date. It's the fact that they elicit a certain fondness from their users as time goes on. This one has been nothing but diabolically great for the work I have done which is considerable within this giant aluminum box. I did all the upgrades myself as to hardware and I am loathe to part with it.

I thank you very much for all the advice and I am considering an iMac. If I do so I will turn this Mac into a server and see if I can create more problems for myself doing so. In the meantime I will get a new graphics card which may entail a new processor and a few other various and sundry gadgets to keep the old girl prim and stately. I have a photo that I shot of this Mac which I have used on my Google+ site and it looks like the beast it is. I kick myself for that photograph as I have thousands of dollars of camera and lenses but snapped that one with my phone. Now you know how serious my mental state is. I need some ice cream, stat.

Just to get back to this I am wondering what processor and card would be appropriate to add to the Mac so that I can upgrade and get to Yosemite should I decide to go that way. I don't play games or edit video so photography is all I use it for other than website development and Blogging. It is possible that I may get back to the old "Adventure" gaming in the category of "Myst" if I ever do install a game for fun but shooters and that kind of thing I got enough of in Vietnam. Thanks.
( Last edited by crowe; Jan 9, 2015 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Additional Thoughts)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2015, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by crowe View Post
Just to get back to this I am wondering what processor and card would be appropriate to add to the Mac so that I can upgrade and get to Yosemite should I decide to go that way.
I had the Apple AMD Radeon 5770 in my Mac Pro 1,1 2006 model. That card allowed me to install OS X 10.9 Mavericks with the help of Tiamo EFI 2006 Mac Pro fix. I can’t see the Radeon 5770 on the Apple Store anymore so I guess it is no longer available there.

My guess is that you could find the card either at amazon or eBay but I suspect any card you might find will be an used card which is not an issue as long as the card is a genuine Mac Radeon card and the seller doesn’t charge the overpriced retail price which was $250.

Did it run well.? Sure, and my Mac Pro had slower CPUs than yours, it was a Dual 2.0 with 8 GB RAM but OS X 10.9 Mavericks worked so well it was supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, way better than OS X 10.7 Lion.

I have read that Yosemite can be done as well, but I don’t have the Mac Pro anymore with me so I can’t give it a try. Sorry about that.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2015, 09:42 AM

I bought a flashed 5770 for my 1,1 MacPro (2006) and it's fantastic. No boot screen but that's fine with me so long as it works. $115 too.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Forum Links
Forum Rules