Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any Osaka mac users out there??

Any Osaka mac users out there??
LambMadras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 05:36 AM

Hi all,

I have just moved to Osaka Japan from Melbourne with my new 15" PB and was wondering if there are any fellow Osakans out there who could tell me the best and cheapest way to hook up to broadband at home in my apartment.

I`m currently typing this from the Yodabashi Shop at the yahoo BB free internet place. They are offering 12 Mbp for JY3400 per month. That sounds like a pretty good deal until they told me I would have to buy or rent a phone line in my apartment. This would cost around JY2300 per month. Is there a cheaper way to ghet a fast internet connection at home.

Appreciate any replys

Cheers, Tim

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 25, 2003, 06:13 AM

I'm not from Osaka, but I did use YahooBB for a year until I moved back to the US. It was pretty good and with the BBPhone service that comes with it, you can call the US for like 2 cents a minute or something.

LambMadras  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 11:04 PM

Hey Icruise,
Thanks for the response, I think I will go with yahoo as they are offering 3 months free internet with the phone line deal.

Does anyone now if there are many hotspots in Osaka??

Cheers,Tim

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 11:16 PM

It depends on your meaning of "hot spots". Americamura is good for general youth culture, the Dontonbori is great for food and nightlife. Look up a place called Sam & Dave for gaisen girls, lots of alcohol, dancing, and people who will speak a bit of english. Bar Rock Rock in Americamura is ****ing awesome. There are lots of great places. My favorite city.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 28, 2003, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by The Jackalope:
It depends on your meaning of "hot spots". Americamura is good for general youth culture, the Dontonbori is great for food and nightlife. Look up a place called Sam & Dave for gaisen girls, lots of alcohol, dancing, and people who will speak a bit of english. Bar Rock Rock in Americamura is ****ing awesome. There are lots of great places. My favorite city.
I think he meant places where you can get wireless internet access...

There's been a move to wire up the main train/subway stations, although I think it's still in the beginning stages. There are probably some coffeeshops that have them too, but I don't know of any specifically.

BenN
Oct 28, 2003, 10:46 AM

Hi Tim

I'm moving to Osaka at the end of December, with my 15" AlBook!

Not sure about your question; I'm going to be living (initially at least) with my mother-in-law (not as bad as it sounds!), and she's already got 12Mb/s cable (I think). My wife is an Osaka girl.

What I'm really after is that 100Mb/s Fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) from NTT. Yum!

Whereabouts in Osaka are you? I'll be in Asahi-ku (north-east part of the city).

Here's a list of hot spots in Osaka:

Wifinder

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by BenN:
Hi Tim

I'm moving to Osaka at the end of December, with my 15" AlBook! ...
Hot spots? 15" AlBook ... are you sure you didn't mean WHITE SPOTS?

Funabashi Bill :-)
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by mainemanx:
Hot spots? 15" AlBook ... are you sure you didn't mean WHITE SPOTS?

Funabashi Bill :-)
Hehehe, yea good one.

But yea, I've always wanted to move to Japan as well, but I don't think I'll ever have the chance to do so...

Osaka, Japan is like my home away from home, everytime I visit there, I feel like I'm home. Tokyo on the other hand... too crazy/freaky for me to live there.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Tomster
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 02:02 PM

And here we are in the States, dawdling along with our 1.2M dsl connections. Bandwidth is a quality of life issue!
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
Osaka, Japan is like my home away from home, everytime I visit there, I feel like I'm home. Tokyo on the other hand... too crazy/freaky for me to live there.

Ming
Hey... I feel the same way. Hey... you are in Minnesota too. Weird.

I just checked for hot spots in Hiroshima where I'm going to be at for a month working, and only found 4 of them.

LambMadras  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 09:57 PM

From BenN

I'm moving to Osaka at the end of December, with my 15" AlBook!

Not sure about your question; I'm going to be living (initially at least) with my mother-in-law (not as bad as it sounds!), and she's already got 12Mb/s cable (I think). My wife is an Osaka girl.

What I'm really after is that 100Mb/s Fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) from NTT. Yum!

Whereabouts in Osaka are you? I'll be in Asahi-ku (north-east part of the city).

Here's a list of hot spots in Osaka:

Wifinder

Hi Ben thanks for that excellent link I`ll be hotspotting when I can.
I`m living in Momodani which is not far from Tennoji, It`s a great spot not as manic as Namba or ther KIta area. I`ve only been here for about two weeks, am with my girlfriend and we are trying to adjust to our new lives here in Osaka. We are both teaching english (as you do) and are having a great time, a bit exhausting at times though.

Good luck with the FTTH, btw how much are you looking at paying for that per month in Yen?

Cheers
Tim

Forum Links
Forum Rules