Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Data transfer from iMac to iBook

Data transfer from iMac to iBook
discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2003, 04:11 PM

I have my iBook 700 w/ 640MB RAM networked with my iMac 1.25GHz w/ 768MB RAM using Airport. If I need to transfer files I just use my network. Small files are no problem using this method. But it takes almost 2 hours to transfer a file that is about 5GB. How much faster would doing the transfer with Firewire be? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jetta_gt
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2003, 04:24 PM

um, maybe 100x faster, seriously, there's really no comparison. just use a 6pin to 6pin FW cable, hook the two computers up, then restart one (doesn't really matter which one), and hold the "T" key to activate target disk mode. Then the computer that you started up in regular mode, will display the HD's of the other machine on the desktop, then just drag and drop.

si_lance
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2003, 08:34 PM

is there a way to do it w/o rebooting? I mean afterall it does has BSD underpinnings and should be able to do whatever w/o reboot (unlike windoze) right?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2003, 08:37 PM

no, you cannot use firewire target disk mode without rebooting.

-r.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2003, 09:04 PM

Try going into System Preferences -> Network -> Network Port Configurations in popup menu -> New and select Firewire.

Panther has the ability to do IP over Firewire built in. If you have Panther on both machines you can try this out. I'm sure some people are interested to see how this works!

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Forum Links
Forum Rules