Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Question about Terry?

Question about Terry?
Spirit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 07:55 AM

I've been a DM2 user for a few months now. (Bought the scanner and the software).

I've made suggestions through the software about how to handle boxset and collectors edition of tv series and so on, and other small suggestion and I've been replied by just a rude reply from Terry.

Now I just wanted to know, is that the overtime, or any some reason or DM are known to be rude in their replies?
Here's the reply I got... I dunno maybe I wasn't clear enough in my suggestions but, one thing I know is that this is no way to reply to paying users.

Hey Maxime,

I'm so sorry for the extremely late response. You're suggestions are definitely worth noting. Thank you. =)

--
Your Delicious Bug Wrangler,
Terry Phillips
Bug Handler

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 08:02 AM

How is that rude?

Or do you take offense in the spelling of "your"?

"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Spirit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 08:05 AM

well I'm a little bit offended by You're suggestions are definitely worth noting.

I mean there are other ways to say things, I dont want to make a big issue about this, it's just that being an IT Consultant myself I would NEVER ever answer my clients like that

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 08:25 AM

The response is a little familiar, but if anything I think that is what make DL a good company. They communicate with customers like you are a person and not a customer.

To me I read this is as nothing but a courtesy email to say that they have received your email and that you have raised suggestions that they will look at in the future. I know that I send out emails like this because I would rather send out a short missive to the customer telling them that the message was received, than have the customer think they have been ignored.

Spirit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 08:28 AM

That I agree with you, but even if they would talk to me in a more friendly way I would have appreciated something more... mmm not so rude.
Instead of saying to me that he thinks my suggestions were of no use?

I saw it more as, I read it, deleting it, going on to the next one....!

Anyway :S

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 08:40 AM

I don't read anywhere in that email which says your suggestions are of no use. You never know they might be implemented in the future. Maybe they have already had your idea, or they have been raised numerous times in the past and responding to everybody's emails becomes counter-productive - they could better utilise the time implementing the suggestions than responding to them.

You just never know.

Spirit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 08:42 AM

Oh that I totally agree, but isn't saying "You're suggestions are definitely worth noting" means that they have no value?

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 09:11 AM

Not how I read it. I think this is just a quick email to say thanks so you don't think your email has been ignored. Nothing more, nothing less.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
Oh that I totally agree, but isn't saying "You're suggestions are definitely worth noting" means that they have no value?
It doesn't sound that way to me. "Worth noting" means "good enough to write down so you remember it in the future." An idea that has no value isn't worth noting.

EDIT: I notice now that you're from Quebec and English may not be your first language. The word "note" means "write down for future use." It isn't related to "worth nothing." Just in case that was the source of the confusion.

(BTW, I have no affiliation with DM. I'm a moderator on other forums on MacNN, but the title shows up here too.)
( Last edited by Chuckit; Jul 10, 2008 at 04:28 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
That I agree with you, but even if they would talk to me in a more friendly way I would have appreciated something more... mmm not so rude.
Instead of saying to me that he thinks my suggestions were of no use?

I saw it more as, I read it, deleting it, going on to the next one....!
It wasn't rude, you're just a bit touchy.
The answer was perfectly fine.

And just because you pay doesn't mean they have to IMPLEMENT your suggestions.
You're not a co-owner of the company, after all.

-t

Gord Lacey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 11:36 AM

I agree, the answer was fine. Keep in mind they have over 1,500 emails to get through, so Terry was trying to give you a quick reply noting that he thinks your ideas are worth noting (writing down for the future), and then he's moving on to the next support email where someone may be struggling with a bug or other issue.

Gord

cchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 12:05 PM

You may not be aware of it, but Wil has said that the tech support team (Terry and Maja) will get a bonus if they clear all messages out by the 15th.

That's probably why Terry seemed a bit hurried in her response. Right now they've got a thousand or so emails from irate people like me who'd like DL2 to work as advertised (or even as well as DL1!). I'm sure they'll have more time to consider your suggestions in a few months after the crisis has ended.
You can be honorable or you can make money.
--slogan of The Delicious Generation

Sinemacula
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2008, 03:56 AM

This looks like a simple mis-read of the email - "worth noting" is close to "worth nothing" in spelling, but the complete opposite in terms of meaning.
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz; 4GB RAM; 23" Cinema Display
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

Spirit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2008, 11:44 AM

Oh God... I remember reading an article especially about that saying that your brain is used to see "nothing" instead of 'noting'... and in the end reads notHing ... I JUST realized....

Oh well, I guess all I can say is sorry, even though I was just trying to understand, thank you guys for your help

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2008, 12:12 PM

That took an unexpected turn

-t

cchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2008, 03:50 PM

Whoo boy, that misunderstanding belongs in Tales of Tech Support! It comes close to beating out my favorite:

A Dell technician received a call from a customer who was enraged because his computer had told him he was "bad and an invalid." The tech explained that the computer's "bad command" and "invalid" responses shouldn't be taken personally
You can be honorable or you can make money.
--slogan of The Delicious Generation

Spirit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by cchris View Post
Whoo boy, that misunderstanding belongs in Tales of Tech Support! It comes close to beating out my favorite:
Well now there a big gap between a computer message, and a human message isn't it?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 09:09 AM

It says worth noting, not worth nothing. Huge difference.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

milhouse
Senior User
Jul 13, 2008, 01:55 PM

LOL.

"worth nothing" would have been pure gold.

Still offended?
"-Dodge This"

Spirit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2008, 01:57 PM

I think I've already replied

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2008, 03:45 AM

@Spirit

Though the issue seems to be resolved, I just wanted to apologize if I came across as abrupt--it has been a stressful time for us, but don't get the wrong impression, feedback is very important and very much appreciated. Things have now quieted down a bit, so we're working on getting some updates out there which will fix some of the biggest issues with DL2--then we'll be on to adding new features.

As for the grammatical error, I'm offended by that myself--sorry!

Spirit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2008, 07:33 AM

Hey no worries ;p

thx a lot for the comment!

Forum Links
Forum Rules