Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Macs in the Media > Apple needs Power Consumption ads!!!

Apple needs Power Consumption ads!!!
me
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2001, 03:29 AM

With everyone (west coast at least) concerned about Power consumption (lets face it folks, prices will probably never go down) this is the perfect chances for some smart advertising. Pentium and Athlon systems consume far more energy than G3/G4 based systems.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2001, 10:16 AM

MacSurfshop beat Apple to it: http://ecart.macdock.com/macsurfshop...M16S&id=gam096

Wear it with pride!

------------------
[email protected]
450 128 20 9.0.4 17 Radeon
------------------

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

me  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2001, 02:11 PM

Somehow I doubt that will get the same number of viewers, or for that matter the same reaction as a REAL Apple ad. While I find MacSurfShop to be funny I also find their brand of evangelism to be lacking taste and ineffective.

Graymalkin
May 15, 2001, 02:02 AM

Um...Macs are going to suck as much juice as a PC because your power supply is basically the same. The difference between the power consumption between a PC with the same internal components as a G4 would be a scant handful of watts, not nearly enough to REALLY give you a savings. Apple should still make their older VGA LCD monitor so they could sell them in droves when people figure out a flat panel sucks about 30-50 watts where a CRT will suck 100+. Then PC folk could get the translucent blue flat panels. I wanted one but could never afford them at 899$ a pop.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
May 18, 2001, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Graymalkin:
Um...Macs are going to suck as much juice as a PC because your power supply is basically the same. The difference between the power consumption between a PC with the same internal components as a G4 would be a scant handful of watts, not nearly enough to REALLY give you a savings...
Macs are actually *very* energy-efficient. Compare for yourself:
http://www.apple.com/about/environme...ttributes.html

Speed

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2001, 12:27 AM

Ok, here is how power supply ratings work.
The wattage rating is the MAXIMUM wattage that can be drawn thru the power supply.
This DOES NOT mean that that is how much WILL be drawn.
Besides, I've only got like a 200 watt power supply on my G3, my athlon has a 300 watt.

------------------
G3 400, 384, 12 + 75 GB
PM 8500 - 150, 176, 4.3 GB
PM 7100 - 66, 32, 700 MB
PM 6100 - 66, 40, 1 GB
And the lowest of all:
Athlon Thunderbird 954MHz, 128, 8GB
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules