Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Better Check Your Paypal Accounts

Better Check Your Paypal Accounts
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2005, 11:05 AM

I went into Paypal this morning to find a huge mess. Instead of Paypal CHARGING or DEBITING my account for purchases or using the ATM card (I have an online eBay site for auctions that benefit animal rescue) they are CREDITING my account the amount that it is supposed to be charged. So, instead of seeing, say, a $100 CHARGE for a $100 purchase say, at PetSMART, I am seeing instead of -$100 not only not the original CHARGE or DEBIT, but a CREDIT of $100 coming INTO the account. Now, they show a supposed "Pending" on the original charge...that is supposed to turn into "Purchase" and then the supposed CREDIT drops off and it all balances out. Supposedly.

But, that's not the worst part.

Sometimes they credit your account TWICE for the same supposed charge...then only one charge posts...but they DEBIT your account twice because they credited your account twice.

Now, if I make a purchase of $100 and they then credit my account $100 and then not only post the transaction for -$100.00 but also debit the amount they gave me in a credit (+$100.00) I would be okay because it all balances out. It's equal.

But, what they did with our account was to credit the supposed charge twice - then they not only remove the original supposed charge of $100.00 - but also remove $200.00 instead of $100...so now I am in the negative or -$100.00 more than I should have been in the first place! In essence, they are posting a pending once, then giving you credit for the pending TWICE...then removing the pending TWICE...but somehow the account is charged once more than the original purchase.

I'm very confused over it. They say that they know there is a problem. They put the money back in and fixed it and led me through step-by-step how there was a problem.

But, why isn't it just a straight charge/debit charge? Why the credits at all?

They did this on 36 transactions. I had to spend an hour waiting to get them on the telephone and they then had to transfer me to card services and I had to wait another 30 minutes and when I finally was connected to card services the representative said, "Yes, we know that there is a problem and we're trying to fix it."

Trying to fix it?

Like I said, Caveat Emptor when it comes to using Paypal right now!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2005, 11:15 AM

By the way, I'm still very confused by what is going on. I'm no CPA. Somehow, some way, they are taking out more than they should - they admit it.

I feel like it's beer:30 and it's only 11 o'clock AM!

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I feel like it's beer:30 and it's only 11 o'clock AM!

There's a difference?

edit: I checked my Paypal account, and there's nothing amiss.
The only charge if for the Football "Survival" pool that I joined and then promptly lost in the first week because of those stoopid Rams....

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2005, 11:22 AM

I had this happen several times recently as well...

It seems to fix itself in a few days, I am usually not using the paypal card so the few problems we no biggie for me.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2005, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by dreilly1
There's a difference?

edit: I checked my Paypal account, and there's nothing amiss.
The only charge if for the Football "Survival" pool that I joined and then promptly lost in the first week because of those stoopid Rams....
You have to admit, the 49ers did pretty well. I was shocked.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2005, 11:40 AM

No problems with my account — and I've always had superb service the few times I've had to contact them

Hope it gets cleared-up for you soon!

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2005, 12:15 PM

by Zerostar
I had this happen several times recently as well...
I'm glad that I'm not the only one, actually. It's okay as long as it balances out...but when it does not or you have several transactions posting it's easy to become confused.

If anyone needs to call Paypal their number is 402-935-7733.

Good luck, all.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2005, 12:17 PM

P.S., Derailing my own thread, but I love your website, Maury.

I might just get in touch with you one day for some business, if you don't mind.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2005, 12:49 PM

I might just get in touch with you one day for some business, if you don't mind.

-t

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2005, 01:09 PM

P.S., Derailing my own thread, but I love your website, Maury.

Glad you like it. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2005, 01:24 PM

They did this on 36 transactions.
I don't get that many in a year!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2005, 01:36 PM

Caveat emptor if she suggests a paypal transaction.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

absolut78
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2005, 01:43 PM

happened to me this week. I bought some clothes, paid with PP and then they charged me and then gave me a refund... charge expired. I called the company and they said that the charge never went through and the items would not ship. One week later and I get an email saying that all my items have shipped and now this week I am charged.

Joe

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2005, 01:59 PM

Unbelievable, Joe!

Now, imagine that you have HUNDREDS of transactions (I'm somewhere in the 500+ Paypal transactions range) and about 60+ per month. Charges "expire" then the merchant puts the transaction back through because Paypal never paid them - and now the money is going back and forth, back and forth.

Joe, maybe you can tell me why Paypal is putting a CREDIT on our accounts instead of forwarding it to the merchant?

Then they take the credit back - and sometimes twice!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2005, 10:35 AM

Unbelievable, Joe!

Now, imagine that you have HUNDREDS of transactions (I'm somewhere in the 500+ Paypal transactions range) and about 60+ per month. Charges "expire" then the merchant puts the transaction back through because Paypal never paid them - and now the money is going back and forth, back and forth.

Hi Cody,

I certainly hope that you are able to successfully get this all straightened out. They just haven't got to know what an awesome person you are.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 15, 2005, 10:54 AM

My bank shows some charges on my debit card kind of weird for a while, then they smooth out and show up correctly when they go from "pending" to final. It sounds like PayPal has the same issues.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 16, 2005, 10:05 PM

Working fine for me (so far), and I've had transactions in the last 2 days in US$, CAD$, and £.

Forum Links
Forum Rules