Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Trying to find a financier!

Trying to find a financier!
absolut78
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 01:24 PM

Okay... this is a long shot, but after a week of being turned down for loans I am going crazy. I have busted my butt this year saving up for camera and computer equipment for my job. I am one or two pieces shy of having all the basic equipment.

I am looking to score about $3500 dollars for a Canon 300mm 2.8 L Lens

Saving up would take me about one year and this lens is something I need on a day to day basis and renting is an option, but not cost effective.

Payback would be quick and hopefully easy. I have an allottment for $300 going away every month and that would go to whomever could help me out. Part of it would be yours as a rental fee. I would also add 10% to the total ammount borrowed. I will also fork over my 2005 Tax Return for payment purposes... $1000 - $2000.

I know that this is a request that is a bit insane, but I have to try. This is not a nigerian money scam. I am easily trackable because of my military job, I would also be willing to sign a legal document. Collateral is an option as well.

Joe

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2005, 01:33 PM

your military job requires you to have a camera day-to-day, but they won't cover the cost? i don't get it.

-r.

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 01:35 PM

I work for the Air Force not as a photog, but I do part time work for press agencies... they do not cover the cost.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2005, 01:38 PM

Have you tried looking for the lens on ebay. Also what about credit cards, asking someone for money here has a snowball chance in hell of working. Sorry but that's the harsh reality of life. Borrowing from a family member is not an option either?

If its required for your job then I'd push your employer to fund it.

Mike

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 01:40 PM

I have looked on ebay and paypal wont finance me. CC's and Family members all tapped out. I know this has a snowballs chance of working, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Even if I didn't get all of it from one source, but nonetheless I should try all avenues.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2005, 01:48 PM

Try more loans places dude. A couple of grand should way easy to get unless you're already maxed out.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

OreoCookie
Dec 4, 2005, 01:50 PM

Look into Tokina lenses, in your case this one, they are far cheaper and more than capable. My cousin (a professional photographer) has a few and swears by them. (He also own original Canon glass, though.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 01:50 PM

I am maxed out and tapped out and most places wont even look at my application. So begging is a last resort. I just thought that if I offered a good kick-back people might be willing to help. Every little bit helps. I can't think of any other way to get the money.

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 01:52 PM

I could ask 1000 Macnn members to donate $3.50 to the cause.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2005, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by absolut78
I could ask 1000 Macnn members to donate $3.50 to the cause.
So why won't your employer buy it for you?

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 01:55 PM

Press Agencies don't buy equipment for their freelancers nor do they have stock equipment for use. It is up to use to provide the gear. I have all I need to cover entertainment, but when I want to do sports I am stuck without a big lens.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2005, 02:00 PM

Press Agencies don't buy equipment for their freelancers nor do they have stock equipment for use. It is up to use to provide the gear. I have all I need to cover entertainment, but when I want to do sports I am stuck without a big lens.
Try selling some lens that you don't use on ebay or another piece of equipment.

I'm not trying to sound harsh or negative, but I think you'll have more success at doing it yourself then asking for help from the internet.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2005, 02:00 PM

I am maxed out and tapped out.
Then maybe you should bite the bullet and not get the lens right now.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 02:03 PM

You are right, but like I said before I need to ask and see if it is possible. If it doesnt happen then it doesn't happen. I am just trying

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2005, 02:27 PM

Try an ad in Private Eye's classifieds ("Eye Need" section). That sometimes works, especially if you're willing to repay.

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 02:28 PM

Link

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2005, 02:30 PM

Link
Your local newsagents, next to the financial monthlies. Tesco normally carries it too.

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 02:32 PM

its a brit mag... okay. I will look tomorrow.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2005, 02:38 PM

its a brit mag... okay. I will look tomorrow.
To make it easier for you to find, it's about A4, coloured paper (no glossy cover). Usually has an amusing political pic on the front.

In the back of it you'll find the aforementioned section. Most ads simply says something like "Help, husband has left, in debt" and then give a sort code and account number, nothing else. Some of them give contact details saying how to contact the person and that they'll repay. The latter is the type you want to be going for, as they're more likely to get a response.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2005, 02:45 PM

Never buy lenses new. Get a second hand one. Same thing, much cheaper.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 02:47 PM

$3500 is a used price. I have seen them go on Ebay for $3000. $3500 was a ballpark.

Joe

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2005, 02:55 PM

You MUST be able to find those for 1500 to 2000 $. I would avoid ebay for photographic equipment though. Unless you can go and check out the gear in person.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 02:57 PM

Goldfinger.... I know I know. I have my eyes open on photo only forums. I have seen one 300mm 2.8 for $2000 early this year.

OreoCookie
Dec 4, 2005, 03:06 PM

$3500 is a used price. I have seen them go on Ebay for $3000. $3500 was a ballpark.

Joe
What about Tokina or so? You'll save at least a third.

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 03:08 PM

No way. This job is providing great images to large magazines and newspapers... you can't sacrifice image quality.

OreoCookie
Dec 4, 2005, 03:10 PM

No way. This job is providing great images to large magazines and newspapers... you can't sacrifice image quality.
My cousin is a pro and he uses quite a few Tokina lenses, he loves them. He started with sports photography (mainly for newspapers and sports magazines), but gradually got into portraits and studio photography. Now he has basically done all sorts of things, cover pictures (for CDs), events, etc.

In case of doubt, check out some pics on his website.

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 03:13 PM

I can appreciate that, but its something that was beaten into me assiting guys from SI and other places. You cannot sacrifice anything.

OreoCookie
Dec 4, 2005, 03:16 PM

Well, you don't really sacrifice anything. There are a few Tokina lenses which are at least on par with original lenses.

Also, your choice seems to be: no 2.8/300 lenses or a cheaper solution. And I think a missed photo opportunity is a lot worse than one with 10 % less sharpness If you don't have money for original lenses now then you don't.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2005, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Well, you don't really sacrifice anything. There are a few Tokina lenses which are at least on par with original lenses.

Also, your choice seems to be: no 2.8/300 lenses or a cheaper solution. And I think a missed photo opportunity is a lot worse than one with 10 % less sharpness If you don't have money for original lenses now then you don't.
He has other options. He can get a brand new Canon 300mm f4 from B&H for $1200. All he would then need to do is push his film 1 stop, which with modern film is no big deal. He'd probably benefit from the extra depth of field as well. Alternatively, he could get a used manual focus Canon lens. B&H have a 300mm 2.8 L lens for $725. Professionals were getting stunning images with manual focus lenses for years. In fact, the best wildlife photographer I know uses lenses with preset apertures and no autofocus. For example, take a look at this: this.

Then, of course, what he could do is pay for the expensive stuff that he thinks he "needs" (but in reality certainly does not to get the job done) by selling photographs. Amazing concept, I know.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
I'm not trying to sound harsh or negative, but I think you'll have more success at doing it yourself then asking for help from the internet.
Cyberbegging did work for some people (including a girl wanting breast implants). That Internet fad was a while ago though. There must be some people with spare cash lying around.

To the OP: maybe sell some of your photographs? That might raise some cash, and pique someone’s interest.

OreoCookie
Dec 4, 2005, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
He has other options. He can get a brand new Canon 300mm f4 from B&H for $1200. All he would then need to do is push his film 1 stop, which with modern film is no big deal. He'd probably benefit from the extra depth of field as well. Alternatively, he could get a used manual focus Canon lens. B&H have a 300mm 2.8 L lens for $725. Professionals were getting stunning images with manual focus lenses for years. In fact, the best wildlife photographer I know uses lenses with preset apertures and no autofocus. For example, take a look at this: this.

Then, of course, what he could do is pay for the expensive stuff that he thinks he "needs" (but in reality certainly does not to get the job done) by selling photographs. Amazing concept, I know.
I wasn't sure what kind of camera he has, whether he went digital or not. (My cousin had digital gear from the start.)

Thing is, these kind of lenses (which was professional rig anyway) were often used a lot, so he should take a good look at them before buying.

Anyway, I do agree, I think (especially with these budget constraints), buying new 2.8 Canon lenses does not really make sense in his situation.

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2005, 11:46 AM

I have thought about buying the 300m f4, but you try shooting sports in low light losing the extra stop and then trying to sell the images.

Thanks Everyone.

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2005, 11:48 AM

My only other option is the find 60 Macnn members who will each lens $40 dollars to fund the purchase of a Canon (used) 300mm 2.8

Joe

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2005, 11:53 AM

Tesco. Mag. Today.

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2005, 11:56 AM

I know. I am trying. I am waiting for the SKY to show up.

OreoCookie
Dec 5, 2005, 12:38 PM

My only other option is the find 60 Macnn members who will each lens $40 dollars to fund the purchase of a Canon (used) 300mm 2.8

Joe
Well, I would need some new equipment as well
A Nikon D200 would be nice

Jokes aside, what equipment do you have now anyway? Are you still shooting on film?

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2005, 01:22 PM

I shoot...
2 x EOS-1D Mark II
70-200mm 2.8 IS
16-35mm 2.8
24-70mm 2.8
15mm
14mm
2 x 580EX

OreoCookie
Dec 5, 2005, 02:28 PM

How about getting an extender for the bread and butter lenses for the meantime? 1.4 x 200 = 280.

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2005, 04:01 PM

You still lose the stop and for a game that will be shot under cloudy skies and semi decent flood lights, I would have to lose something in ISO speed.

OreoCookie
Dec 5, 2005, 04:51 PM

I know that you loose one fstop. You just said time and again you are short of cash, so you cannot expect an equivalent solution for significantly less

Point is: if you need this focal length, you gotta get it one way or another. Some posters (myself included) proposed some cheaper alternatives. Nobody cares about some loss in brilliance, sharpness or whatever if you can't make that picture at all

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2005, 01:34 AM

I have thought about buying the 300m f4, but you try shooting sports in low light losing the extra stop and then trying to sell the images.

Thanks Everyone.
So? Do you think that sports photography was impossible before the advent of faster glass? Did you look at that bird picture I linked to? It was shot at f6.8!

Besides which, you have already compromised in that area. You are shooting zoom lenses, which are neither as fast nor as sharp and contrasty as the best prime lenses. Unless you are going to go out and get yourself something like a Leica Noctilux (50mm f1) or Leica 75mm f1.4 Summilux-M, you obviously aren't concerned about the fastest and best glass. If 2.8 to f4 will kill you, why doesn't f1.4 to f2.8?

You also don't seem to have considered buying a manual focus 300mm f2.8 Canon L. A used one is 1/5th the price of a used AF lens, and just as fast.

Forum Links
Forum Rules