Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External HDD?

External HDD?
wpd7
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2007, 03:44 PM

I'm having a hard time finding a suitable HDD for time Machine. I decided to use my wife's 24" iMac as the house repository for all the files and use time machine to back it all up. In the past, I manually backed up to multiple external HDDs, unsightly, but works. Now with Time Machine, its asking for a drive larger than the total data/apps stored, which is slightly over 500GB.

Was looking for a 1TB external drive that actually uses 1 drive versus the slaved dual 500GB drives we see a lot to avoid possible issues with the internal circuitry not striping properly and negating the backups. Something FW400 or 800, it doesn't matter. Any recommendations? The reason why I'm not going with a 750GB is that she does a lot of graphics work and I know the files generated by her work coupled with Time Machine, it will easily eclipse the 750GB drive. I'm looking for something that will last longer... =)

I upgraded the internal HDD on the iMac 24" to a Seagate 1TB 32MB cache HDD- very nice and fast, but what a pain to do so! Also, the mac recognizes all 4GB of memory and 4GB usable versus 3GB under Leopard! Bonus! I was told this was a hardware limitation, but I guess not!

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2007, 05:13 PM

Currently trying to get a Western Digital MyBook Studio drive to work as expected, I can't say I'm very enthusiastic about it.
I'll probably be heading back to LaCie (the LaCie 2big looks quite nice to me, even though I've had my fair share of problems with failing LaCie FW drives in the past.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2007, 06:38 PM

If you search the forums you'll find a dozen similar (recent) threads that discuss this very same subject.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by workerbee View Post
Currently trying to get a Western Digital MyBook Studio drive to work as expected, I can't say I'm very enthusiastic about it.
I'll probably be heading back to LaCie (the LaCie 2big looks quite nice to me, even though I've had my fair share of problems with failing LaCie FW drives in the past.
LaCie and WD both suck. If you want a good external hard drive , get a Seagate internal drive, and put it in an Oxford-based FireWire enclosure.

Look in any of the other threads about this to find more information.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules