Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Graduation Gift Suggestions - Mac related...

Graduation Gift Suggestions - Mac related...
goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2009, 07:10 PM

My sister just graduated high school, and she doesn't know it yet, but she's getting a new 13" Macbook Pro. I'd like to get her something to go with it, but I'm not sure what yet, so I thought I'd get ideas from the peanut gallery... It's her first laptop she's actually going to own.

(She already has a hard drive for time machine, so that's a no-go...)

(Also, I realize I could have put this in the Macbook forum, but I felt like putting it here, because it didn't necessarily have to be a Macbook specific gift, even though that would be nice.)

(But if you're a mod and you're offended by me putting this thread here, I humbly apologize and beg for your mercy.)
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2009, 07:17 PM

(i think i would go with suite of utilities or itunes gift card)

(maybe a nano)

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2009, 07:56 PM

Nice bluetooth mouse? A sleeve?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2009, 08:14 PM

You could give her the free iPod touch and pretend you bought it for her.

finboy
Jun 9, 2009, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Nice bluetooth mouse? A sleeve?
Either a copy of DiskWarrior (or similar recovery tool) or a hard case. She'll probably need both at some point.

If she doesn't have an iPhone, the iTouch is a wonderful accessory. It's probably the best PDA I've every had. AND you can get Stanza for it.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2009, 09:55 PM

What is your budget? Does she want something tangible or would she appreciate something like safeware insurance in case she loses or drops her new MBP?

A nice Logitech (or Microsoft or whoever) wireless keyboard and mouse combo would also be nice if you want something more in that price range.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2009, 10:18 PM

voucher for 2 years free tech support (provided by you)

-t

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2009, 12:38 AM

Not as fun as some of the other suggestions, but Applecare for a MBP might be a lifesaver (budget saver) for her in the future.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2009, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
Not as fun as some of the other suggestions, but Applecare for a MBP might be a lifesaver (budget saver) for her in the future.
+1 on the Apple Care idea.

Throw in a sleeve for it or a skin of some sort.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2009, 06:31 AM

Microsoft Office Student Edition would be beneficial, imho.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2009, 07:54 AM

AppleCare is a GREAT gift for a notebook. And if she's going to be taking the MBP to college, a good-quality padded bag or pack would be a very practical (and inexpensive) gift. And if that's where she's going, don't buy her software until you find out what her school's bookstore offers-my school had a "campus-level" agreement with Microsoft, so the FULL version of Office 2008 cost me $30. Plus tax.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2009, 08:24 AM

I can get Office for FREE from ITT Tech.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
AppleCare is a GREAT gift for a notebook. And if she's going to be taking the MBP to college, a good-quality padded bag or pack would be a very practical (and inexpensive) gift. And if that's where she's going, don't buy her software until you find out what her school's bookstore offers-my school had a "campus-level" agreement with Microsoft, so the FULL version of Office 2008 cost me $30. Plus tax.
I remember that my school had the inexplicable policy of charging $10 per disk so Panther cost me $30 because it was 3 CDs and Tiger cost me $10 because it was only one DVD.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2009, 09:51 AM

It would have been cool if my school had an agreement with Apple...I got all my OS upgrades through the school's Apple Store (a VERY tiny affair), but they were at the regular student price, not anything better.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2009, 10:56 AM

Oooooo AppleCare is a good idea. My parents aren't getting that for her...

She already has an iPod Touch (my parents want me to get another free one with it for my grandparents...)

The other thing I was thinking was an Airport Express for her dorm room.

She got Office through the local community college she'd been taking some classes at.

Keyboard and mouse isn't a bad idea either.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2009, 11:15 AM

Check with the college before you get her the Express. A lot, maybe even most, colleges that provide a connection in the dorm absolutely forbid installing a wireless access point in a dorm room. It's a major security hole unless the whole dorm network is separate from the rest of the school's network and/or they have other rather involved security techniques in place. Don't give your sister something that will get her in trouble at school.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2009, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Check with the college before you get her the Express. A lot, maybe even most, colleges that provide a connection in the dorm absolutely forbid installing a wireless access point in a dorm room. It's a major security hole unless the whole dorm network is separate from the rest of the school's network and/or they have other rather involved security techniques in place. Don't give your sister something that will get her in trouble at school.
20,000 18 year olds with new computers is a risk to security, not a wireless router. But, yea my school had a no personal router policy that was occasionally enforced so it is worth looking into.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
20,000 18 year olds with new computers is a risk to security, not a wireless router. But, yea my school had a no personal router policy that was occasionally enforced so it is worth looking into.
A wireless router allows OUTSIDERS INTO THE NETWORK. Your 18 year old students can be stopped cold by a number of non-technical methods (like "we called your parents" and suchlike), but an outsider with wireless access is a real threat.

Of course a lot of schools are going to providing the wireless themselves-with the appropriate security applied to it. At my school, I had to initially register my MBP's AirPort address with them so that I could use the wireless, but they eventually went to a redirecting logon. In any case, before you give such a gift, it's a good idea to check with the school to see if she'd be able to use it.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2009, 06:40 PM

I checked and they don't have wireless in the dorms. It's a gigantic school (University of Washington), so I wonder about the practicality of them enforcing no access points. Plus, they're on a gigapop anyway...

(And I haven't seen anything about them not allowing access points.)

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2009, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I checked and they don't have wireless in the dorms. It's a gigantic school (University of Washington), so I wonder about the practicality of them enforcing no access points. Plus, they're on a gigapop anyway...

(And I haven't seen anything about them not allowing access points.)
Easiest thing to do is send off an email to their IT department asking about it.

I did tech support for two years at IUPUI, and wireless or wired routers of any kind were strictly forbidden - if you needed additional datajacks in your dorm room, you were allowed to use a switch or a hub. Students who violated the policy after multiple warnings would get the data connection in their room temporarily or permanently suspended.

Incidentally, the one guy who actually brought down one of the vlans in the campus apartments was a Mac noob who had bought a used iBook and a dual ethernet Airport Extreme base station - the original owner just told him to "plug it in and you'll have wireless". Since the two RJ-45 ports weren't clearly labeled, he didn't know which one to use - so he plugged his datajack into the router's LAN port. For two weeks we had students sporadically getting 10.0.0.x IPs and no Internet access, until we were finally able to track down the culprit.

Who then connected the stupid thing to the network a second time about three weeks later. At that point I told him I was going to have his connection terminated for the rest of the year if he didn't cut it out.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2009, 10:33 AM

Here is their policy page:
Rules For Computing and Networking in UW Housing

Their FAQ page says:
"Q: How about wireless ethernet access in my residence hall room?

A: Wireless Networking in the Residence Halls is not currently supported by UW Technology at this time. The Residence Halls are wired for either 10MBits/sec or 100Mbits/sec. These speeds are faster than consumer level wireless connections, more reliable, with greater immunity to radio traffic (wireless) interference. However, wireless networking is supported in a few pilot locations around campus. Documentation on wireless networking devices can be found at: http://www.washington.edu/networking/wireless/wireless_faq.html"

With the wireless FAQ link broken of course...

It doesn't sound like wifi access points are banned, they are just unsupported...

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2009, 01:47 PM

Put the computer on your renters/home owner's insurance policy. Why? Because Apple doesn't cover beer spills liquid damage.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
Put the computer on your renters/home owner's insurance policy. Why? Because Apple doesn't cover beer spills liquid damage.
That is why I recommended Safeware insurance in my first post rather than Applecare.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
That is why I recommended Safeware insurance in my first post rather than Applecare.
My mistake, I misread that.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2009, 01:19 PM

A nice well padded carry case always pairs well with a laptop. Especially being her first one you wouldn't want to see it in the same bag as her books. Well, unless it's made for that.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2009, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
It's a gigantic school (University of Washington)
Just in case… Undercover

I would let her choose any sleeve, bag… her taste may differ from yours, but built's are rather nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules