Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS 10 Feature Requests

iOS 10 Feature Requests
Ham Sandwich
Oct 16, 2015, 05:46 PM

1. Siri, I just want you to play this song, or turn on Bluetooth, or add a reminder (to be synced later). I don't need you to be on the internet to do these things. I have an iPad Air 2, non-Cellular, and an iPod Touch. When I'm away from internet access and I just need you to play a song to my car, I just want you to do it, straight from the device. My iOS devices together cost several $hundred each and so should be able to do that. So, start learning to do these simple tasks without requiring an internet connection.

ibook_steve
Oct 16, 2015, 06:35 PM

Delayed Touch ID. Sometimes I don't want to unlock my 6S. I want to just access notifications or the camera or recently used app from the lock screen easily. I should be able to set the delay for unlocking.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2015, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Delayed Touch ID. Sometimes I don't want to unlock my 6S. I want to just access notifications or the camera or recently used app from the lock screen easily. I should be able to set the delay for unlocking.

Steve
Use the power button for that.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2015, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
1. Siri, I just want you to play this song, or turn on Bluetooth, or add a reminder (to be synced later). I don't need you to be on the internet to do these things. I have an iPad Air 2, non-Cellular, and an iPod Touch. When I'm away from internet access and I just need you to play a song to my car, I just want you to do it, straight from the device. My iOS devices together cost several $hundred each and so should be able to do that. So, start learning to do these simple tasks without requiring an internet connection.
This sounds like a tall order. Siri needs big iron under the hood.

OreoCookie
Oct 17, 2015, 02:28 AM

(1) Multi-user support. That's the big one for me. I'd be so great to log in using my finger print and the iPad or iPhone would just recognize who I am and log me in. (My wife who is a graphics artist really wants an iPad Pro … it's great to be married to a geek!)
(2) Find a better way to make apps interact/cooperate. Having to dig for extensions in the Share Sheet is not a good mental model for a lot of things. Think of how much better Photos could be if all the Extensions appear in their right place, right in the editing UI.
(3) Work towards a better way to deal with files, especially when it comes to how files are handed off between apps.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2015, 11:20 AM

Multi-user would have the net effect of cannibalizing sales.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2015, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Methinks you don't understand (or appreciate) how processor and storage intensive speech recognition is.
Siri is only possible due to a back-end server farm that does the actual "listening and understanding".

Your request sounds like "I just want to be able to drive 100mph without any obstructing traffic, I don't need a highway or streets."

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2015, 04:44 PM

Or an engine.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2015, 07:12 PM

Yep, LOL.

-t

Ham Sandwich
Oct 17, 2015, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Methinks you don't understand (or appreciate) how processor and storage intensive speech recognition is.
Siri is only possible due to a back-end server farm that does the actual "listening and understanding".

This may change:

Apple Acquires Startup Developing Advanced AI for Phones - Bloomberg Business

Perceptio’s goals were to develop techniques to run AI image-classification systems on smartphones, without having to draw from large external repositories of data. That fits Apple’s strategy of trying to minimize its usage of customer data and do as much processing as possible on the device.

2. If I'm away from my iPad for more than 48 hours, I'd still like to use Touch ID, and not be asked to enter my passcode instead. Give me the option to do that.

OreoCookie
Oct 17, 2015, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Multi-user would have the net effect of cannibalizing sales.
So?
That's baked into Apple's DNA, as long as one Apple product cannibalizes another, they don't seem to care. A fully decked out iPad Pro isn't that much cheaper as a comparable MacBook.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2015, 10:58 PM

Multi-user I buy an iPad. Non multi-user I buy one iPad per user.

OreoCookie
Oct 18, 2015, 07:24 PM

Multi-user I buy an iPad. Non multi-user I buy one iPad per user.
???
The hardware has gotten plenty powerful, and there are clear advantages (e. g. in business scenarios but also for home users) where this makes perfect sense. Just like on the Mac, you don't need to use it, and if you don't I reckon you won't see a difference.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2015, 11:52 PM

I feel like there's a crossed wire here somewhere, because your response doesn't make sense to me.

There's no question multiuser would be a benefit to consumers. It would have been a benefit with the 1st gen iPad, which had the power to do it. I called for it the moment my ex started using my iPad.

Apple didn't put it there because they prefer I buy an iPad and my ex buys another iPad.

The easier it is (was) for us to share a single iPad, the less likely we are (were) to each get our own.

OreoCookie
Oct 19, 2015, 12:14 AM

Apple didn't put it there because they prefer I buy an iPad and my ex buys another iPad.
Now I understand what you were trying to say earlier. I don't think it's a matter of Apple just wanting to sell more iPads, they didn't include multitasking and copy 'n' paste in the first iPad either, but that clearly wasn't for nefarious purposes. Without a Touch ID sensor changing users would be a pain, I really think Touch ID is the lynchpin that is necessary to have a good implementation of easily changing users.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2015, 12:34 AM

Even if it wasn't nefarious, I think they like the result, and aren't going to be in any hurry to, well... cannibalize sales.

As for changing users without TouchID, it seems to me using the passcode lock screen would work fine.

OreoCookie
Oct 19, 2015, 01:58 AM

As for changing users without TouchID, it seems to me using the passcode lock screen would work fine.
I don't know, I think it'd be quite cumbersome to have to enter user name and password/passcode, and using your thumb to login seems soooo much quicker and soooo much more convenient.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2015, 02:07 AM

You wouldn't need to enter in usernames, just disallow duplicate passcodes. The OS would determine the user by which passcode was entered.

Not that I disagree a TouchID implementation would be superior, just the alternative isn't as cumbersome as you're imagining.

Likewise, passcodes are obnoxious, but the only reason I don't have one on my iPad is because it never leaves the house. If it did, I'd passcode it, which would mean multiuser via passcode would have no UI overhead.

OreoCookie
Oct 19, 2015, 02:45 AM

You wouldn't need to enter in usernames, just disallow duplicate passcodes. The OS would determine the user by which passcode was entered.
That won't work, so many couples and families would choose the same passcode. Even if you force users to choose distinct pass codes, that would open security loopholes as you could probe for pass codes by changing your own. And it doesn't account for the fact that some people prefer not to set a pass code in the first place. I think your idea is not well thought out.
Not that I disagree a TouchID implementation would be superior, just the alternative isn't as cumbersome as you're imagining.
I think it's exactly as obnoxious as on my Mac, I'd really prefer to have a finger print scanner.

OreoCookie
Oct 20, 2015, 10:11 PM

Another feature request:
(4) Improve collaboration and data sharing between users. Apple should in particular focus on families.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2015, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
That won't work, so many couples and families would choose the same passcode. Even if you force users to choose distinct pass codes, that would open security loopholes as you could probe for pass codes by changing your own. And it doesn't account for the fact that some people prefer not to set a pass code in the first place. I think your idea is not well thought out.

I think it's exactly as obnoxious as on my Mac, I'd really prefer to have a finger print scanner.
Sorry for my delayed response!

The only way it's equally obnoxious is if your Mac password is four numbers. That said, I think everyone would prefer a system which uses TouchID.

I don't disagree with your assessment there are security vulnerabilities amongst multiple users on the same iPad with my proposed system, but I'm not sure how important it ultimately is. If someone has long term physical access to the device, you should consider it pwned.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2015, 02:48 AM

Steve
They've refined TouchID, and I've trained myself to unlock it as it comes out of my pocket, to the point notifications are something I catch a glimpse of as they shrink into the background. Of course, they don't always show up in the notification swipe down, so I'm constantly going "WTF did that say?"

They really need to rethink notifications from the standpoint of the lock screen not being something the user interacts with any more.

OreoCookie
Oct 21, 2015, 03:26 AM

They really need to rethink notifications from the standpoint of the lock screen not being something the user interacts with any more.
I think that this is a very astute observation.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2015, 04:28 AM

Thank you!

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 22, 2015, 10:01 PM

I hardly ever get to SEE my lock screen. Touch ID kicks in so quickly that it's just not feasible for me to use my phone (a 5s) as a "pocket watch" anymore.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad
Oct 23, 2015, 08:36 AM

I like Apple to go in and thoroughly troubleshoot/re-engineer the copy/paste text mechanism on webpages. Most of the time, it works as expected, but I still get bizarre behavior on some pages. Stuff like, trying to move the brackets around to highlight a sentence or two, only to have the brackets jump up the page to highlight the entire page of text. Or, I can move the first bracket just fine, but moving the second bracket causes both brackets to come together and be unselectable. Text selection also gets fidgety if the text I'm selecting also happens to be a link. I get this with and without an ad-blocker running.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2015, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I hardly ever get to SEE my lock screen. Touch ID kicks in so quickly that it's just not feasible for me to use my phone (a 5s) as a "pocket watch" anymore.
Use the sleep/wake button to view your notifications.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2015, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
My problem is muscle memory.

I put my thumb on TouchID while I pull out my phone.

Can't help it.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2015, 04:56 PM

I'd say it's more than that.

Assuming you carry upside-down, face towards you, your thumb is naturally by the home button as you take it out of your pocket, and nowhere near the lock button.

justinpe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2015, 06:13 PM

Steve
That's a horrible solution to the problem. Apple could easily implement a better way to wake your phone using 3D Touch. Simply force touch the screen to wake. Done.

justinpe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2015, 06:38 PM

Multiple user accounts: I don't think this will cannibalize sales to the extent that some people have suggested. Most families can't afford to buy 2 or more iPads, and the ones who can will likely opt for the iPad Pro or other more expensive model. Plus, they could use this as a way to get current iPad users to upgrade to a new model to which the feature is exclusive.

Force Touch to Wake: You can already wake your  Watch with a simple tap. Why not bring this feature to iPhones, except use a force tap instead of a regular tap? This would prevent your phone from constantly waking up in your pocket.

Dynamic App icons: We already have this on a couple of stock apps. Why not allow developers to offer the feature? It would be nice to glance at an app icon and see the current temperature, for example. They would be similar to widgets in the notification pane, but simpler.

Ability to delete pre-installed apps: I never use the stocks app.

Expand public transit directions: I like that they added this in iOS 9, but it isn't available in very many cities.

Open Support for NFC: Would be cool to use my phone to access parts of my work building instead of carrying around my key card everywhere.

Dark Mode: Already available on OS X. Why not bring this to the iPhone? Would help save battery life and would be easier on the eyes in darker environments.

More animated wallpapers: There aren't very many to chose from now.

Landscape view for iPhone 6 & 6s: This has bothered me since the iPhone 5, and I'm glad they implemented it on the iPhone 6+ and 6s+, but why not on the smaller screened devices?

Better Control Center: Should be able to customize with the settings you use most. Could also implement Force Touch here to offer more options for adjusting particular settings.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 23, 2015, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post

Can't help it.

-t
That's my issue as well, but if I taught myself to grab the phone by the Home button, I can teach myself to pick it up by the outside of the case. It's just gonna take time...

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2015, 10:49 PM

Steve
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Use the power button for that.
Or use a different finger.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2015, 10:54 PM

Can't help it.

-t
Then you should remove your thumb from the Touch ID settings.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2015, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post
Then you should remove your thumb from the Touch ID settings.
You clearly have no idea what we're talking about.

We have have trained ourselves to use the thumb exactly because we WANT the phone to be unlocked ASAP when we take it out of our pockets.

Using a different finger would only train us to use that finger to unlock it ASAP.
Nothing is gained.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2015, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post
Or use a different finger.
The opposable nature of the thumb aids in grasping.

khoejrup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2015, 08:35 AM

I use the Reminder App to make list of items I need to buy next time I am in town. Sometimes the wife are in town and ask for my "Reminder List" so it would be a great help if it was possible to just mail / Text her a list of my "Unsolved Reminder items" within the App.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2015, 01:07 PM

My half-solution to this would be to text her a screen cap.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2015, 02:31 PM

Why so complicated.

Subscribe to her Reminders list by setting it up in Settings - Mail, Contacts & Calendars.
You'd set up your wife's iCloud account, but only activate Reminders.

Then, in Reminders, you pick the reminder item you want to assign to her, go to Details, and change the "List" to your wife's Reminders List.

Done. Now it's in her list.

-t

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Oct 24, 2015, 03:26 PM

I wish they would just hire back some real Unix experts again and put the core back in order.

And, fire a bunch of the recent UI folks and get back to basing UI off of good research and consistency.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2015, 08:39 PM

You clearly have no idea what we're talking about.

We have have trained ourselves to use the thumb exactly because we WANT the phone to be unlocked ASAP when we take it out of our pockets.

Using a different finger would only train us to use that finger to unlock it ASAP.
Nothing is gained.

-t
If you WANT the phone to be unlocked ASAP when you take it out of your pockets, then nothing needs to be changed because the phone is being unlocked ASAP when you take it out of your pockets.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2015, 10:12 PM

Why so complicated.

Subscribe to her Reminders list by setting it up in Settings - Mail, Contacts & Calendars.
You'd set up your wife's iCloud account, but only activate Reminders.

Then, in Reminders, you pick the reminder item you want to assign to her, go to Details, and change the "List" to your wife's Reminders List.

Done. Now it's in her list.

-t
I wouldn't exactly call my solution complicated, but would agree this solution is more complete.

khoejrup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2015, 06:17 AM

My half-solution to this would be to text her a screen cap.
Thank you subego I will do that and await a better solution.

khoejrup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2015, 06:41 AM

I wouldn't exactly call my solution complicated, but would agree this solution is more complete.
Unfortunately my wife does not have an iPhone, I have tried to convince her ;-)

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 26, 2015, 03:09 PM

My wife and I share several calendars, organizing our work schedules, appointments, etc. that way. We let iCloud make sure everything is spread out to where it needs to go. We haven't really used Reminders, but if we were to need that kind of functionality, we'd go the way Turtle described. Simple, clean, quick and easy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules