Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 13" Intel iBook rumours redux

13" Intel iBook rumours redux (Page 8)
Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 3, 2006, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
I've just sold my iBook, now im laptop-less! I want a new one dammit!
I hear ya.

P.S. American Technology Research says June/July.

Wu told clients he believes the "widely anticipated" 13-inch Intel consumer notebook from Apple is on track to ship in the June/July timeframe. "We view this as an important release as iBook is the second most important volume product in the Mac business," he wrote.

June is fine, but July is too long. I just hope by then that the Canadian dollar is above 90.9¢ US. If so, that would mean that US$999 (should Apple choose to keep that price point for the base model 13" MacBook) would be CAD$1099. Right now the Canadian price is CAD$1249.

I suspect that Apple will make the price a bit higher in Canada in the US, and I don't know what price they'll have for the US, but I do think Canadian pricing should improve. Apple probably pays its manufacturers in US dollars, and although the parts costs to Apple will increase, the manufacturing costs may not increase as much, at least in the near term... with the near term meaning before the fall.

What would also rock would be if Apple gives us that free iPod education deal like they did last year with the iBook G4 with Radeon 9550. One of the reasons I bought last year was because of the free iPod mini that came with my already education discounted iBook. I doubt that's going to happen though, since the demand for the 13" MacBook is likely to be strong.

BTW, I agree with the sentiment that 3 different models are desirable, with Apple likely releasing at least two:

Core Solo 1.5
13" 1280x800 widescreen
40 GB 4200 rpm hard drive
512 MB RAM
Radeon X300 32 MB DVI with 128 MB Hypermemory support
Airport Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
Combo DVD-RW burner/DVD reader
Firewire 400
USB 2.0 x 2
iSight
No modem
Scrolling trackpad
100 Mbps Ethernet
Less than 5 lbs

I suspect something like this could be released at US$1099-$1199 (CAD$1249-$1349) with Core Solo 1.5.

However, I'd probably want this US$1499 (CAD$1699) Core Duo model:

Core Duo 1.66
13" 1280x800 widescreen
60 GB 4200 rpm hard drive
1024 MB RAM
4X dual-layer DVD burner
Firewire 400
USB 2.0 x 2
iSight
No modem
Scrolling trackpad
100 Mbps Ethernet
Less than 5 lbs

As you can see, I'm not convinced Apple is going to be able to keep that $999 price point with my desired specs for the lower end, especially with the declining value of the US buck. However, they could have a third model at $999 I suppose, with integrated graphics, VGA-out, and no iSight, meant primarily for education markets ($949 education pricing). It could be even cheaper with a CD-ROM drive, for institutional purchasers.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 3, 2006 at 08:22 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2006, 08:17 AM

The nice part about that guess is that it relies on one common logic board design. That would cut costs.

It seems to be a rather reasonable guess in terms of specs although Gigabit Ethernet will be in there since it's already part of the Intel chipset. I can't see Apple turn it off 'in software' if they didn't even find that necessary on the mini.

If they actually go for two different boards (one with a Solo, one with a Duo) I'd expect integrated graphics on the cheaper one.
( Last edited by Simon; May 3, 2006 at 09:12 AM. )

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 10:46 AM

I just keep wondering if they can use the extra ~6 cubic inches to cram an ExpressCard slot in there. Seems like with broadband wireless (i.e. EV-DO and HSDPA) getting more popular, it'd be a good idea to make that option available to folks who could use it, without making them have to let some adapter dangle off a USB port.

And yes, I realize that there aren't HSDPA ExpressCards yet, but I imagine they're coming.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
P.S. American Technology Research says June/July.
Well Think Secret is insisting that it'll be here in May. Hopefully it'll arrive while I'm still borrowing my folks' car, so I can drive to Delaware to get the student discount and save on the sales tax. On the other hand, with gas prices as they are, it may be a wash..

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
Well Think Secret is insisting that it'll be here in May. Hopefully it'll arrive while I'm still borrowing my folks' car, so I can drive to Delaware to get the student discount and save on the sales tax. On the other hand, with gas prices as they are, it may be a wash..
Schweet! I hope TS is right. Maybe Tuesday May 16? At that point it will be at 42 weeks gestation.

Perfect timing too (if true), not just because I already sold my iBook, but also because I should be getting my tax refunds soon too.

Voch
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 11:44 AM

I just saw this too. Here's hoping! A new MacBook would be great to have for my D.C. work trip in June (I have to demo a cross-platform Java product I'm working on).
( Last edited by Voch; May 3, 2006 at 11:50 AM. )

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 12:08 PM

Core Solo 1.5
13" 1280x800 widescreen
40 GB 4200 rpm hard drive
512 MB RAM
Combo DVD-RW burner/DVD reader
Firewire 400
USB 2.0 x 2
iSight
No modem
Scrolling trackpad
100 Mbps Ethernet
Less than 5 lbs

I suspect something like this could be released at US$1099-$1199 (CAD$1249-$1349) with Core Solo 1.5.

However, I'd probably want this US$1499 (CAD$1699) Core Duo model:

Core Duo 1.66
13" 1280x800 widescreen
60 GB 4200 rpm hard drive
1024 MB RAM
4X dual-layer DVD burner
Firewire 400
USB 2.0 x 2
iSight
No modem
Scrolling trackpad
100 Mbps Ethernet
Less than 5 lbs
I see that as pretty accurate. These are the things that I think are pretty much a dead cert:

13.3" screen - there's been no argument about that or any other suggestions

Firewire 400 (full size) - all of Apple's lineup has one, they won't cut it from just one product

iSight - there's no reason not to have one, if anything, its more useful in a consumer lappie than a pro one!

Front Row - All new macs thus far have this - again, doubt they will cut it form one model

DVI out - As above, especially seeing the mini has it. I think this would be a strong marketing point - only lappie in its class to have DVI - look how we are advancing blah blah blah. I would love it if the MB had a full size port - i know they don't look as nice, but God that mini VGA - VGA for the iBoook is annoying, I never have the adaptor when I need it!

Gigabit Ethernet - Again, all the new Intel Macs have this

Audio in/out (possibly optical out)

Magsafe

5400 RPM drive - if the mini can have one, so can the MacBook. I rekon the base will have a 40 gig, and the higher a 60 gig drive

I have also realised that it will be very unlikely for a fully core duo lineup, so i'm expecting (and probably going to purchase) a core solo model. But obviously CD would be nice... if Dell can put a 1.83 CD in its $699 (after rebates) budget laptop, then Apple can sure as hell put one in a $999-$1099 MacBook

Edit: One thing that would be nice would be to put an expresscard /34 slot in, but make it possible to store the front row remote in it. I always thought that was a missed oppertunity with the MacBook Pro's
( Last edited by harrisjamieh; May 3, 2006 at 12:17 PM. )
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2006, 02:48 PM

Edit: One thing that would be nice would be to put an expresscard /34 slot in, but make it possible to store the front row remote in it. I always thought that was a missed oppertunity with the MacBook Pro's
No go. The remote is too thick for the slot.

f1000
Professional Poster
May 3, 2006, 04:42 PM

You could take the Septa R2 Regional Rail to Fairplay Station...

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
You could take the Septa R2 Regional Rail to Fairplay Station...
It's tempting, but there's something a little unnerving about walking and taking public transit carrying a big ol' bag with an  on it..

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 02:35 AM

Well, ThinkSecret is still saying MacBooks this month.... It's been a long ride... Here's hoping...

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
Well, ThinkSecret is still saying MacBooks this month.... It's been a long ride...
Yes, it'll be bittersweet when we finally have to say goodbye to this thread...

I was beginning to kinda hope for June or July. May is gonna be an expensive month with the bill for summer school tuition and the girlfriend's birthday. I mean, I know I could just buy later if they do come out in May, but there's just something about ordering a new model the week it's announced, y'know?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2006, 08:29 AM

Yes, it'll be bittersweet when we finally have to say goodbye to this thread...
Having a brand new 13" MacBook in our hands will be pretty good consolation.

I'm hoping for May 16.

I was beginning to kinda hope for June or July.
Sacrilege!

May is gonna be an expensive month with the bill for summer school tuition and the girlfriend's birthday. I mean, I know I could just buy later if they do come out in May, but there's just something about ordering a new model the day it's announced, y'know?
Fixed™

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 12:47 PM

I mean, I know I could just buy later if they do come out in May, but there's just something about ordering a new model the week it's announced, y'know?
Heh, well not really. And I thought I was obsessive... The MacBook will still taste as good next month, I promise! Besides, it could easily be announced in May and not really be generally available till next month or so.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2006, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
Heh, well not really. And I thought I was obsessive... The MacBook will still taste as good next month, I promise! Besides, it could easily be announced in May and not really be generally available till next month or so.
Nah, I'm thinking/hoping that part of the delay has to with a desire by Apple to have sufficient production ramped up for a quick rollout. IOW, no more than a 2 week delay for initial orders of stock (non-CTO) machines.

The good news is that all the parts except for the stuff from Apple itself (case, mobo), are likely already in good supply. Specifically, there should be no problem for Apple to get 1.5 GHz Core Solo and 1.66 GHz Core Duo CPUs. GPUs won't be a significant issue either, considering that they're low end ones.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 03:19 PM

The good news is that all the parts except for the stuff from Apple itself (case, mobo), are likely already in good supply. Specifically, there should be no problem for Apple to get 1.5 GHz Core Solo and 1.66 GHz Core Duo CPUs. GPUs won't be a significant issue either, considering that they're low end ones.
Just wondering, is the Core Solo the exact same thing as a Pentium M, or are there any differences?
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2006, 03:33 PM

Just wondering, is the Core Solo the exact same thing as a Pentium M, or are there any differences?
Short answer: No; Yes.

Medium answer: No they're not exactly the same; Yes there are differences, but they're relatively small.

Long answer: Under the Pentium M brand label, there were two different cores, Banias and Dothan. Dothan was a minor evolutionary improvement on Banias with higher clockrates, a smaller process size, more cache, faster front side bus, and lower power consumption. Core Solo and Core Duo use the Yonah core, which is another minor evolutionary development of Dothan: higher clockrates, a smaller process size, faster front side bus, and lower power consumption. Banias, Dothan, and Yonah (as well as the Pentium Pro, Pentium 2, and Pentium 3) all are in the same microarchitecture family (P6), and espically with the final 3 they're relatively close to each other.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Short answer: No; Yes.

Medium answer: No they're not exactly the same; Yes there are differences, but they're relatively small.

Long answer: Under the Pentium M brand label, there were two different cores, Banias and Dothan. Dothan was a minor evolutionary improvement on Banias with higher clockrates, a smaller process size, more cache, faster front side bus, and lower power consumption. Core Solo and Core Duo use the Yonah core, which is another minor evolutionary development of Dothan: higher clockrates, a smaller process size, faster front side bus, and lower power consumption. Banias, Dothan, and Yonah (as well as the Pentium Pro, Pentium 2, and Pentium 3) all are in the same microarchitecture family (P6), and espically with the final 3 they're relatively close to each other.
Cheers for clearing that up

DogDay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2006, 10:54 PM

Godddd I just want one already....my pc is literally on its last leg....and that last leg is pretty much made of a toothpick, a shoddy one

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2006, 06:55 AM

13" MacBook specs leaked?

13.3 inch TFT widescreen
Intel Core Solo Processor T1300 1.66 GHz or Intel Core Duo Processor T2300 1.66 GHz
Intel GMA950 integrated graphics
512MD DDR SDRAM as standard
60GB and 80GB hard disc options
Slot-Load SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
FireWire 400
2 X USB 2.0
mini DVI/VGA
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
AirPort Extreme
Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, Infrared
Built-in iSight
Front Row with Apple Remote

Sounds like a reasonable guess, but I don't believe it's insider info.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2006, 08:14 AM

Sounds reasonable at first but I'm still gonna call BS. There's no reason Gigabit should be omitted. It's part of Intel's chipset used in all previous Macs. Even the $599 mini has it. Other than that, it's rather likely. If they actually go for GMA950 across the board, there's gonna be a lot of whining here and elsewhere. I'm glad I got my 2GHz MBP.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2006, 09:47 AM

It's coming very soon my friends...

http://www.apple.com/ipod/

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 5, 2006, 11:20 AM

Steve is going to be angry, very angry. You don't want to see him when he's angry.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
May 5, 2006, 11:22 AM

13" MacBook specs leaked?

13.3 inch TFT widescreen
Intel Core Solo Processor T1300 1.66 GHz or Intel Core Duo Processor T2300 1.66 GHz
Intel GMA950 integrated graphics
512MD DDR SDRAM as standard
60GB and 80GB hard disc options
Slot-Load SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
FireWire 400
2 X USB 2.0
mini DVI/VGA
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
AirPort Extreme
Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, Infrared
Built-in iSight
Front Row with Apple Remote

Sounds like a reasonable guess, but I don't believe it's insider info.
The article doesn't say the guy is an insider. He could be a shipper who has seen a box or something.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
The article doesn't say the guy is an insider. He could be a shipper who has seen a box or something.
Close enough. Anyways, the shipping boxes cover up the spec list, so he would have had to have open up the outside box at least to see the specs.

But like I said, he could just as easily be some random guy collecting the various predictions and making one of his own.

It would make sense though in light of the above website leak.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2006, 11:29 AM

I would not at all be surprised if the MacBooks didn't support Gigabit Ethernet. I would hope they do if the chipsets already have it, but Apple has been known to do stuff like this before.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 5, 2006, 11:44 AM

Solo and Duo at the same speed (Mac mini is 1.5 solo 1.66 duo)? No Giga Ethernet (all Intel Macs have been so far)??

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2006, 11:46 AM

It's coming very soon my friends...

http://www.apple.com/ipod/
Apple has fixed the iPod page now.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 5, 2006, 11:48 AM

They have fixed the site now, back to the standard iPod page.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
May 5, 2006, 12:03 PM

But like I said, he could just as easily be some random guy collecting the various predictions and making one of his own.

It would make sense though in light of the above website leak.
It could be. It's not like he's the first. Think Secret does it every five minutes sometimes it's right.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
May 5, 2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice
Solo and Duo at the same speed (Mac mini is 1.5 solo 1.66 duo)? No Giga Ethernet (all Intel Macs have been so far)??

We jumped on it too soon. It now says....

UPDATE: Correction, our Californian spy said the MacBook would have Gigabit Ethernet not 10/100BASE-T. Also an error on Apple's iPod page today made mention of the MacBook. Apple has now restored the page but this is what it looked like...
and then the photo going around

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2006, 12:20 PM

( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 5, 2006 at 12:43 PM. )

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
May 5, 2006, 12:49 PM

Think Secret confirms iPod Hub's info with the colours and only one size screen.

Voch
Mac Elite
May 5, 2006, 01:03 PM

These recent rumors sound great. I hope they're true and we get some specifications leaks this weekend.

My hope: $1299 for a Core Duo 1.67 or 1.83 (depending on what the $999-ish model has, I suppose), 13.3" 1280x800, GMA950, 80GB SATA HD, SuperDrive, Gigabit ethernet and mini-DVI out.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2006, 02:19 PM

Apple is an exhibitor next week at E3. E3 will be good venue for Apple to show off their new consumer dual-core Intel laptops.

Interestingly, their booth is next to Intel's.

lookmark
Mac Elite
May 5, 2006, 02:34 PM

Apple is an exhibitor next week at E3. E3 will be good venue for Apple to show off their new consumer dual-core Intel laptops.
With integrated graphics, though? hmmm.

iMacs & MBPs seem more appropriate for E3. You know, machines with video cards.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by lookmark
With integrated graphics, though? hmmm.

iMacs & MBPs seem more appropriate for E3. You know, machines with video cards.
Still, it's curious that the release date is rumoured to be May 9, the same time as E3.

Integrated graphics does make some sense for the MacBook, but I'm not 100% convinced yet. I'm hoping for a Radeon X300 32 MB with HyperMemory support up to 128 MB (shared system RAM). If it has to get integrated graphics, one can hope they at least get something like Intel G965, which is a bit of an improvement over GMA 950.

Also, if the Mac Book really does get integrated Intel graphics, then there has to be a 13" MacBook Pro released at some point too (hopefully at the same time). Aperture has a minimum resolution limit of 1280x780, so the 13" MacBook's 1280x800 screen size is big enough. However, Intel graphics are not supported by Aperture so the 13" MacBook would be unusable with this app. However, a Core Duo 13" MacBook Pro with a reasonable GPU would work just fine with Aperture on the road.

BTW, the iBook on May 9 will be 41 weeks old. The 12" PowerBook on May 9 will be 66 weeks old.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 5, 2006 at 02:49 PM. )

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
May 5, 2006, 03:25 PM

I would hope for an X1300 with 128MB vram as an option.

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2006, 03:35 PM

I wonder what the maximum RAM will be. If I buy one now, I'll max it up. 2 GB would be nice.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 5, 2006, 03:44 PM

I think i'll probs take 512 out of my intel iMac and put it into the MacBook, giving them both a total of 1GB

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2006, 03:54 PM

For me, a lot is riding on this MacBook. I don't like the MB Pro, because of the old form factor and the ~$300 Apple premium, so I've been holding out all this time for the MacBook. Unfortunately, if Apple decides to limit us to 1.6hz and gives us the shaft with integrated graphics, I will have to pass up on the MacBook and go with Lenovo.

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
I don't like the MB Pro, because of the old form factor and the ~$300 Apple premium, so I've been holding out all this time for the MacBook.
And the weight... it's too heavy for carrying it around all the time. 4 lbs (1.8 kg) would be very nice. If we get that, I'd even not be that annoyed with a small HD and integrated graphics.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 5, 2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by danengel
And the weight... it's too heavy for carrying it around all the time. 4 lbs (1.8 kg) would be very nice. If we get that, I'd even not be that annoyed with a small HD and integrated graphics.
Which, of course, is why I keep saying I wouldn't mind if they made a MacBook mini without the optical drive, which I would be happy to leave at home 99% of the time.

Sorry, I just had to bring that up one more time in this thread, since it might actually fade away soon. Simon, maybe you could mention one more time how there absolutely will not be a 13.3" MacBook Pro? For old times' sake?

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 5, 2006, 05:24 PM

Which, of course, is why I keep saying I wouldn't mind if they made a MacBook mini without the optical drive, which I would be happy to leave at home 99% of the time.

Sorry, I just had to bring that up one more time in this thread, since it might actually fade away soon.
And I'll enthusiastically agree one more time!

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2006, 06:57 PM

Simon, maybe you could mention one more time how there absolutely will not be a 13.3" MacBook Pro? For old times' sake?
Your wish is my command: There will be no 13" MBP.

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2006, 11:46 PM

I am afraid that not everybody will be happy. See how long Apple annoyed us with the crippled 12" PowerBook, or with the underpowered G4 iBook. In the worst case, we will just get a GPU-less (with no BTO option) iBook replacement, and no light-weight MacBook at all...

RogerR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2006, 11:48 PM

Well, for what it's worth (which may be very little), if you go to the Apple online store and try to order a 12-inch PowerBook with a BTO harddrive upgrade, the shipping date changes from Within 24 hours to 5 to 7 days. Earlier in the week the upgrade delay was 1-3 days I believe.
This could suggest that that model is being discontinued next week, which in turn would lend credence to something coming out next week that will replace it (as well as the iBooks, although the delay currently listed is 1 to 3 days when you select a harddrive upgrade with the iBooks).

im_noahselby
Senior User
May 6, 2006, 01:44 AM

Here are my final thoughts/predictions/whatever you want to call it, as we lead up to the big MacBook announcement:

Obvious specs include a 13" screen, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, Front Row with Apple remote, integrated graphics, etc. I'm not convinced we will see the return of multiple colours. As it has been reported, the new MacBooks will likely be available in white or black and made of a polycarbonate shell.

The price point of the MacBook lineup will come up, as this new line up will offer so many exciting new features and technologies. Over the years the iBook name has become more and more cheapened, by the use of lower quality materials and a budget price point. Obviously this has had it's advantages and disadvantages. I think Apple views this name change as an important step in order to reposition this product. They may keep the $999 12" iBook available as a low end consumer option. I expect this model to stick around for the time being, offering a price point that is attractive to budget consious consumers and students. The higher priced $1499 MacBook is meant to replace the 12" PowerBook.

The new MacBooks will come in 2 new models:

$1299 - 1.6 Ghz Core Duo
- built in iSight
- 60GB HD
- 512MB Ram
- Combo Drive

$1499 - 1.8 Ghz Core Duo
- built in iSight
- 80GB HD
- 512MB Ram
- SuperDrive

Noah
( Last edited by im_noahselby; May 6, 2006 at 02:42 AM. )
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2006, 02:41 AM

Well Noah, I agree with most of it, but that price hike is too steep. Apple would get slaughtered for it in the media and schools would start looking much closer at Dell et al if the entry level is at $1299. And I also think you're being too optimistic in terms of the CPU - I doubt Apple wants the MB so close to the MBP in terms of features.

That said, here are my adjustments:

$1099 - 1.5 Ghz Core Solo
- 60GB HD
- 512MB Ram
- Combo Drive

$1399 - 1.67 Ghz Core Duo
- 80GB HD
- 512MB Ram
- SuperDrive

Both will come with iSight/Frontrow, 2 USB2, 1 FW400, Gigabit, APX/BT, and the dreaded GMA950.

im_noahselby
Senior User
May 6, 2006, 02:56 AM

The thing is, I can't see how Apple can make a profit selling a MacBook for $1099 with all the great stuff we've talked about in this thread. Sure they could pop a Core Solo in there, but is this alone really going to do the trick? I can't think of anything else they could do to lower the price, without greatly compromising their product and I have a gut feeling this is not the direction Apple wants to go in. They want to make a statement with this product and they want most of all for iPod owners to buy into it.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Forum Links
Forum Rules