Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > NASCAR Racing 2002 is shipping! :)

NASCAR Racing 2002 is shipping! :)
Footy
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 02:01 AM

Hey Guys,

It's shipping! I can't wait to get it. Guess I'll have to go buy that wheel this weekend. I'll have the "simulation" Tuesday at the latest.

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2003, 09:25 PM

It's great that more racing sims are coming to the Mac (even if it is not at the same time as the PC version) and hopefully the shipping of NASCAR and F1 sims signal that more racing sims will be ported to the Mac. My poor Pismo is too slow to run NASCAR but F1 w/ FF wheel is absolutely awesome (even if I have to turn the graphics way down)!

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 10:37 PM

Sorry to hear your system can't run NASCAR, it's a great sim so far. Yeah, it's great that racing sims are coming out. I hope NASCAR sales well, so that they start porting the newest PC version over soon to, not that I need it yet but it's nice to have the option.

Oh, by the way, I couldn't wait for my shippment so I picked up a copy at CompUSA. I know, I'm bad.

t_hah
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2003, 10:45 PM

I have a PB 800 DVI. Has anyone tried running NASCAR on this PowerBook setup. I am wondering how well would it run. Can someone test it please, who has the game. Also let us know what settings you used, what screen size and so on. I am worried that it would be slow on my PowerBook.

Thanks,

t

t_hah
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 02:29 PM

Anyone has seen it running on a Ti 667, or 800? Thank you,

t

iBookDude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2003, 11:37 PM

I've been playing the game for a week (for few hours a day I meant...) and it runs perfectly on my PB 1Ghz SD. With all options turned to Max, I got 50+fps driving alone, and around 25-30fps when racing against other CPU players. Once in a while when the screen is crowded (with 10+ cars visible on screen), the frame rate can drop to ~10-15fps for a few seconds before bouncing back to the 20s++... It's still completely playable IMO!

The only problem playing it on a PB is the keyboard mapping. The game only let me set the gas, brake, and steering to any keypad numbers, and not allow to set to any other keys. So to drive using the keyboard, I have to turn on Num Lock so I can use the "numeric pad". But then, I cannot push any other buttons for other functions...

If you want, use an external keyboard with a real keypad, or better yet, get a force-feedback wheel and padel set... I'll be getting one soon!

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2003, 01:02 AM

Well, that's pretty impressive. I'm running on a Quicksilver 867 with a Ti card and with all on high I'm lucky to keep 35 fps driving alone.

Pretty much the same experience while racing with a crowd though. I find that turning Mirror, World, and Track Detail to Medium makes if very playable and without the occasional hiccup.

Originally posted by iBookDude:
and it runs perfectly on my PB 1Ghz SD. With all options turned to Max, I got 50+fps driving alone, and around 25-30fps when racing against other CPU players. Once in a while when the screen is crowded (with 10+ cars visible on screen), the frame rate can drop to ~10-15fps for a few seconds before bouncing back to the 20s++... It's still completely playable IMO!

Guy Incognito
Banned
Jan 13, 2003, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by Footy:
Well, that's pretty impressive. I'm running on a Quicksilver 867 with a Ti card and with all on high I'm lucky to keep 35 fps driving alone.

Pretty much the same experience while racing with a crowd though. I find that turning Mirror, World, and Track Detail to Medium makes if very playable and without the occasional hiccup.
You're saying the Altivec-enhanced Nascar can't get more than 35 fps on a GeForce 4 Ti while driving alone? Something is wrong.

What version of Mac OS X are you running?

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2003, 01:46 PM

That's what I'm saying. Pretty sad I know.

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
You're saying the Altivec-enhanced Nascar can't get more than 35 fps on a GeForce 4 Ti while driving alone? Something is wrong.

What version of Mac OS X are you running?

Fabsmartins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2003, 02:27 PM

Hey guys, i am also wondering about Nascar on a TiBook 667..... also give Racer a try!.. see my other thread... if you are into racing racer is a must!

fabs

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2003, 09:00 PM

OK, I stated screwing around with my in-game settings today trying to improve my FPS. I've found out a couple things. You can go into the "config.ini" file and change the setting for anti-aliasing, which I tried but if I change to anything other than 0 (which is what I'm sure is anti-aliasing off) then the rear view mirror is screwed up in the game. Don't really improve frame rates, matter a fact it cuts them by about 10 frames.
Now this one is key. If I turn the World Detail setting from High to Low I get a good 20 frame improvement in the game. WITHOUT loosing any detail. I really can't see any difference other then the frame rate increase.

So I've gone from about 45 FPS average to 65

OSX 10.2.3, G4 867, gig+ ram, GF 4 Ti card,

Guy Incognito
Banned
Jan 13, 2003, 10:14 PM

That's what I'm saying. Pretty sad I know.

Crap...I don't want to buy Nascar anymore...just in fear that my lowly GeForce 2 MX will only muster 20 fps out of the game.

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2003, 10:34 PM

To tell you the truth Guy I'm sure the game isn't using all the GF 4 Ti card could handle. Don't think it's optimized at all.

What kind of card does iBookDude have in his TiBook? Can't be more than a 32 right?

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
Crap...I don't want to buy Nascar anymore...just in fear that my lowly GeForce 2 MX will only muster 20 fps out of the game.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2003, 12:10 AM

To tell you the truth Guy I'm sure the game isn't using all the GF 4 Ti card could handle. Don't think it's optimized at all.

What kind of card does iBookDude have in his TiBook? Can't be more than a 32 right?
I have 64 MB DDR AGP 4x in my 1 GHz PowerBook G4.

Guy, later on scrumble up some money for an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 64 MB DDR for about $150.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Jan 14, 2003, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
I have 64 MB DDR AGP 4x in my 1 GHz PowerBook G4.

Guy, later on scrumble up some money for an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 64 MB DDR for about $150.
I'll wait until the 9700 hits the market...that should push the 9000 down even lower. Seems like ATI has their shiznit together again.

iBookDude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2003, 02:41 AM

Mine's the latest 1Ghz 15" PB with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM. As I heard from some posts the card uses the same driver the Radeon 8000 is using, so I think the card doesn't run at its max until Apple/ATI releases an optimized driver for it.

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2003, 03:06 AM

Very nice Buddy! Didn't know that. You'll be just fine then.

Originally posted by iBookDude:
Mine's the latest 1Ghz 15" PB with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM. As I heard from some posts the card uses the same driver the Radeon 8000 is using, so I think the card doesn't run at its max until Apple/ATI releases an optimized driver for it.

Sebastien
Jan 16, 2003, 02:02 AM

I remember reading on their (Aspyr's) website that the Gf2 'MX' version would not be supported, has anyone tested this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules