Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Exchange support in Mail

Exchange support in Mail
wjdennen
Oct 24, 2003, 01:51 PM

Hi all-

Has anyone else gotten the Exchange support to work in Panther's Mail.app?

There is a new account type in Mail called "Exchange". When you select that, it seems to connect to Exchange via IMAP. No problem there.

There is also a field in which you can enter your Outlook Web Access server. My assumption is that Mail.app would load this web site when a calendar invitation is received.

but, when an invitation is sent to me, nothing happens, and the invitation is actually "hidden" in Mail.app. It just doesn't display!

Any ideas?

wjdennen  (op)
Oct 24, 2003, 02:13 PM

I'm starting to think that the Exchange synchronization in Panther can not be done over SSL (ie. https://owaserver.company.com).

All of the fields that ask for the OWA server (in Mail and Address Book) ask for just the hostname, not the protocol.

Can anyone confirm?

wjdennen  (op)
Oct 25, 2003, 06:09 PM

any advice? Thanks.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2003, 06:35 PM

I assumed that the reason for entering the OWA server was so that Exchange's folders will be properly represented in Mail. I believe in 10.2, only the Exchange inbox was visible.

What would be the point of accepting invitations if Mail didn't have its own calendaring system it could use for setting up your own schedule, and viewing the schedules of others?

wjdennen  (op)
Oct 25, 2003, 10:15 PM

Good point. It's been my experience that calendar invitations just do not show up, using the new Exchange features in Mail. I know Mail.app can't handle calendar materials, but the invitations should still show up as messages received.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2003, 10:58 PM

In case you haven't noticed, Address Book will pull information from the Exchange GAL now. Panther now allows ADS authentication to the LDAP server.

Entourage will handle Exchange calendaring in single server Exchange environments.

This is the best level of Exchange support available right now, as far as I know.

Does anybody know if Ximian will port Evolution to OS X? This used to be a Fink package, although it seems to be removed. W. the commercial plug-in, Evolution apparently handles Exchange stuff pretty well. I'd rather work in X11 than Classic (Outlook 2001).. =)

bcsarge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 08:44 PM

Ridiculously enough, if you configure Mail in Panther to access Exchange via IMAP rather than the new Exchange account type, apponitment requests show up in your inbox just like they're supposed to. Not only that, Mail is kind enough to convert the request into a link to add the event to your iCal calendar (just as if the event had orginated from iCal to begin with), and it allows you to email your acceptance/denial back to the sender. Curiouser and curiouser...

Forum Links
Forum Rules