Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Page layout software can support korean in OSX?

Page layout software can support korean in OSX?
DesignByJack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2004, 04:28 AM

Hi,

I wonder who know any software that support korean in OSX. I were using the Chinese Pagemaker 6.5C in OS9 to do the book publishing layout in OS9 which need korean language.

Now my iMac can boatup in classic.. so do anyone know any OSX software that can do page layout in korean language like pagemaker 6.5C in classic?

Thanks!

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2004, 07:27 AM

InDesign is the way to go. You can even get a Pagemaker edition that will make the transition easier for you.
almaink

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2004, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by DesignByJack:
Hi,

I wonder who know any software that support korean in OSX. I were using the Chinese Pagemaker 6.5C in OS9 to do the book publishing layout in OS9 which need korean language.

Now my iMac can boatup in classic.. so do anyone know any OSX software that can do page layout in korean language like pagemaker 6.5C in classic?

Thanks!
back in the old days, we had to use Korean Quark then create EPS images, outlined in illustrator (because our clients didn't have asian lanugage version of the software), and we couldn't read any korean at all, so it was pain in the ***, you know.

Nowadays, we just lay it out in indesign or illustrator natively and using the default fonts installed by the system, wow, don't even have to create outline...and save it as a pdf file workflow. This is really amazing.

btw, Asian version of Quark is close to $2000 a piece, so bye-bye Quark.

cowerd
Senior User
Mar 6, 2004, 12:33 AM

http://www.softmagic.com/

MLayout. Don't know much about it, but they are based in Seoul and its an app from the NeXT days. Full unicode support.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

DesignByJack  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2004, 06:07 AM

Thanks for the reply! I will look into it, once I got it in OSX. I will post my outcome here. Again Thanks!

DesignByJack  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2004, 06:09 AM

Is InDesign 2.0 can allow to do the chinese or korean input?

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2004, 12:13 PM

Yes, but InDesign CS is much better and has PageMaker Plugin .
almaink

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Mar 23, 2004, 07:13 AM

Originally posted by DesignByJack:
Is InDesign 2.0 can allow to do the chinese or korean input?
Yes, standard InDesign 2.0 English versions (I mean the ones with English menus etc) can input Chinese without any hassle (so I guess Korean should be no problem). The only problem you may encounter is I don't think it support vertical text (unless you manually make it so).

Forum Links
Forum Rules