Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > AEBS, Belkin 54G and wireless bridging...

AEBS, Belkin 54G and wireless bridging...
Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2003, 02:20 PM

I just wondered if the following was possible: 1) buy a Belkin 54G now (doesn't support wireless bridging apparently)
2) buy an AEBS (which does support bridging) later and make it accept/distribute IP's so one of the two base stations will work without being plugged into ethernet.

What I basically want to know is wether only ONE base station needs to support wireless bridging or if the TWO stations need to support it for bridging to work.

Anyone know?

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2003, 06:58 PM

As of the firmware released yesterday (June-12), my Belkin 802.11g wireless router w/ 4-port switch now supports wireless bridging. Now I have bridging, 4 LAN ports instead of 1 (some older boxes still on the network), better range*, faster speeds*, more more control over settings, and it cost me $139.95 instead of $199.00.

* Macworld July 2002

Keep the rubber side down!

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 13, 2003, 10:07 PM

Yes, fans, in case you didn't catch the meaning of that last post, flatcatch is very happy he bought the Belkin wireless G router instead of the AirPort Extreme base station. I can't blame him-Belkin beats the socks off Apple for the price, and offers a lot more in performance and hardware available for networking. I guess it's a good thing I'm out of money right now, eh? I'd have to decide... And all I have at home is wireless B!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Hozie  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2003, 08:10 AM

Cool! Thanks for the reply, I'm all ready to shell out my dough for that baby. It really is much better for money than the AEBS, innit?

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2003, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by Hozie:
Cool! Thanks for the reply, I'm all ready to shell out my dough for that baby. It really is much better for money than the AEBS, innit?
I first bought the AEBS to run my home network. Unfortunately I have a lot of interference around me, so the range and stability-of-connection was a bit poor. Shelling out $249 for the antenna-enabled AEBS plus buying an antenna was more than I was willing to do. The lack of many advanced settings had caused some issues for my particular setup as well.

You won't get Rendezvous USB printer sharing with the Belkin, of course - and you can't decrease the power level of the antennas on the Belkin (if that's something you want to do).

To check out the full features of the Belkin you can download the Belkin user manual here (2.3MB)

Keep the rubber side down!

Hozie  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2003, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by flatcatch:

To check out the full features of the Belkin you can download the Belkin user manual here (2.3MB)
Why, thanks for that link! Looks like useful pre-purchase info. If you have any more thoughts/comments/tips/tricks for the Belkin, I'd be glad to hear them!

Forum Links
Forum Rules