Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Introducing the "Modern Platinum" theme

Introducing the "Modern Platinum" theme (Page 3)
Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2002, 09:07 AM

The titlebar highlight is GREAT. I missed having the visual feedback on mouseover. The prog bars are fine, but I think the previous ones are a bit crisper?

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Nov 2, 2002, 09:47 AM

Good grief, Max - this is one slick theme! Great job!

Can't wait to try out the new colors!
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2002, 10:15 AM

I just changed my theme from Simple Aqua for the first time in over a year.

I Really like this one.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 2, 2002, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:

I decided to go with blue, lime, orange and gray colors. I'm also finishing the remaining stuff that is still aqua. I have two suggestions to show you:

First, would you like to see that the titlebar buttons get highlighted when move over them?

Second, do you think that these progressbars look better? Can I improve them further?
Although I do miss the highlight on the widgets, I dont feel to keen on that particular solution, I know it can be redundant using the x-+ . I also like the progress bars as they are now, they have a little more "pop" without looking out of place in the theme. I just like that extra pop.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Nov 2, 2002, 01:11 PM

I also like the progress bars as they are now, they have a little more "pop" without looking out of place in the theme. I just like that extra pop.
Ok, I'm not so sure what you mean by "pop", but here is my new suggestion:

Although I do miss the highlight on the widgets, I dont feel to keen on that particular solution, I know it can be redundant using the x-+
Ok, I get from the feedback that they need to be highlighted, but I don't want to do the x-+ thing. I'm not so sure about the glow either, maybe it should be done some entirely different way.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2002, 01:51 PM

Damn! those color variations look great!
Release them soon
( Last edited by ARENA; Nov 2, 2002 at 01:57 PM. )

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 2, 2002, 02:46 PM

Ok, I get from the feedback that they need to be highlighted, but I don't want to do the x-+ thing. I'm not so sure about the glow either, maybe it should be done some entirely different way.
Perhaps work with the glow thing but on the overstate, recess the wiget inward a bit but less than the down state fo course and use the highlight color inside the widget instead of around the outer edge? It sounds like a very sublte difference but usually I find the subtle ones are the money bet.(way to go)

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Jan Van Boghout
Nov 3, 2002, 11:07 AM

These progress bars look best imo, but the glow around the window widgets (other screenshot) looks a bit out of place� Not sure what would be better though�

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Nov 3, 2002, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:

These progress bars look best imo, but the glow around the window widgets (other screenshot) looks a bit out of place� Not sure what would be better though�
Glad to hear that since I just implemented them into the themes.

I was think about a simple solution to the highlight - how about if the just lit up a bit? Got a little brighter?

MacX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2002, 06:22 PM

Great theme bOOzo. Is there any chance of a square version? Kinda like "aqua square". If not how do I modify the current one myself and will you allow me to modify it? Keep in mind I'm not a themer. Please post instructions. Thanks again for your work bOOzo.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2002, 07:23 PM

is there a 'mouse down' state for scrollbar sliders? Aqua aggrivates me with scrollbars because when I am dragging the slider, it doesn't 'feel' like I am clicking the slider...it should darken or something. And I doubt aqua has this ability but mouseover states for buttons would be pretty keen too. good job on the theme!

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Nov 4, 2002, 06:12 AM

Great theme bOOzo. Is there any chance of a square version? Kinda like "aqua square". If not how do I modify the current one myself and will you allow me to modify it? Keep in mind I'm not a themer. Please post instructions. Thanks again for your work bOOzo.
Um.. the corners are already square, or do you mean the menu corners?

is there a 'mouse down' state for scrollbar sliders? Aqua aggrivates me with scrollbars because when I am dragging the slider, it doesn't 'feel' like I am clicking the slider...it should darken or something. And I doubt aqua has this ability but mouseover states for buttons would be pretty keen too. good job on the theme!
No there is no down state for scrollbars. All resources are adapted to fit aqua, so there is no way to make a down state.

MacX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2002, 10:23 AM

Sorry for the confusion Max. What I meant was the menu corners.

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2002, 10:35 AM

once again. great job. this is the theme im using right now. as much as i like Aqua i guess i never realized how much i missed Platinum. this looks great.
Awesome job.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

Jan Van Boghout
Nov 4, 2002, 01:20 PM

Glad to hear that since I just implemented them into the themes.
Cool
I was think(ing) about a simple solution to the highlight - how about if the just lit up a bit? Got a little brighter?
You mean the window widgets? I dunno, they would have to become pretty much lighter to be visible, and that would look strange with the "dirty" close widget, which doesn't change when you hover over it.
Can't you release a version with highlight and one without? I'd use the one without highlight myself, I think it looks cleaner.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 01:46 PM

What's going on with the color variations bOOzo?
...I'm getting anxious

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Nov 6, 2002, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by ARENA:
What's going on with the color variations bOOzo?
...I'm getting anxious
They are done!

I think this link (3,1 MB) should work. Tell me if it doesn't..
( Last edited by bOOzo; Nov 6, 2002 at 04:24 PM. )

Jan Van Boghout
Nov 6, 2002, 02:10 PM

I just get 1.0 when I click that link� No color variations or anything�

ARENA
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 02:36 PM

They are done!

The link is getting the old 1.3MB file.

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Nov 6, 2002, 04:26 PM

Sorry about that, try this link instead..

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2002, 04:37 PM

Sorry about that, try this link instead..
the link works! great theme max! keep up the good work!

Jan Van Boghout
Nov 6, 2002, 04:44 PM

Very nice update! The new scroll bars are really cool, and the highlight for the window widgets is nice too.

You are like the theme God

natan
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2002, 05:31 PM

I'm having trouble switching to the most recent revision of this theme and would love to try it out..

I'm using Duality 3.1.1 with 10.2.1 on an ibook/700. The only themes I've used on this system are Milk, SmoothStripes, and the first release of Rhapsodized. Now, when I try to switch to any of the four new Rhapsodized themes (1.1) I get the following error and it reverts back to Aqua:

"Mac OSX was unable to copy a necessary file. The theme change has been cancelled."

However, I can still cleanly switch to and from Milk, SmoothStripes, and Aqua without troubles.

What should I do?

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Nov 6, 2002, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
Very nice update! The new scroll bars are really cool, and the highlight for the window widgets is nice too.

You are like the theme God
That's too kind of you

I'm having trouble switching to the most recent revision of this theme and would love to try it out..

I'm using Duality 3.1.1 with 10.2.1 on an ibook/700. The only themes I've used on this system are Milk, SmoothStripes, and the first release of Rhapsodized. Now, when I try to switch to any of the four new Rhapsodized themes (1.1) I get the following error and it reverts back to Aqua:

"Mac OSX was unable to copy a necessary file. The theme change has been cancelled."

However, I can still cleanly switch to and from Milk, SmoothStripes, and Aqua without troubles.

What should I do?
Try it with Duality 4, that's what I recommend pppl having trouble with 3.1 and it mostly solves the problems.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2002, 12:49 AM

I love the new version, but I dont see where all the extra color themes are. My general Prefs only has Blue and Graphite. I know I got the new one, because the widgets do the little highlight. Am I missing something here?

edit: oops, just reloaded Duality 4, and noticed them in the list. Funny, they weren't there the first time. Is it possible to add all of them together in the one Theme list, like Blue/Graphite?

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 7, 2002, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
I love the new version, but I dont see where all the extra color themes are. My general Prefs only has Blue and Graphite. I know I got the new one, because the widgets do the little highlight. Am I missing something here?

edit: oops, just reloaded Duality 4, and noticed them in the list. Funny, they weren't there the first time. Is it possible to add all of them together in the one Theme list, like Blue/Graphite?
Sadly no. The OS only switches between elements within a single "theme" file and said "theme" file only allocates enough resources for two variations right now.

smeger
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2002, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by swiz:

Sadly no. The OS only switches between elements within a single "theme" file and said "theme" file only allocates enough resources for two variations right now.
Actually, I think this is hackable.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

MacX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2002, 03:41 PM

Nice additions bOOzo, but are you going to release a square version of the menu bar? Please Please! Okay pretty please. Thanks.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 7, 2002, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by smeger:

Please, Do elaborate

Giano
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2002, 08:17 PM

Boozo....there's really no possibility that even non english system can use at all the themes?...i'm really sad...in your opinion it is an unsoluble problem.... ?
i loved milk....but without button view it was a nonsense....and the same now for this theme....

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2002, 08:24 PM

Is anyone else's Duality locking up when trying to apply this theme?
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

Dace
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2002, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by Giano:
Boozo....there's really no possibility that even non english system can use at all the themes?...i'm really sad...in your opinion it is an unsoluble problem.... ?
i loved milk....but without button view it was a nonsense....and the same now for this theme....
Do it yourself....use resorcerer or resedit and quickconvert and it's a simple copy and paste

Giano
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2002, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by Dace:

Do it yourself....use resorcerer or resedit and quickconvert and it's a simple copy and paste

please!!!!! could you explain better to me!!!!????? i was really happy!!!!!!!!

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Nov 8, 2002, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by MacX:
Nice additions bOOzo, but are you going to release a square version of the menu bar? Please Please! Okay pretty please. Thanks.
Hi
No, I wont, That would make the theme much larger and it would also add 4 new themes to the theme list.. You can easily do it yourself with themepark or sprocket, though. The resource is called "Root Menu Caps", just change it so it looks the way "Root Menu Fill" does.

No, I'm sorry. There is still no good way to do this, I asked around but I never got any good reply. You can do it by yourself, but it's not all that easy.. Can someone else explain? It's to earily in the morning for me...

Giano
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2002, 07:45 AM

No, I'm sorry. There is still no good way to do this, I asked around but I never got any good reply. You can do it by yourself, but it's not all that easy.. Can someone else explain? It's to earily in the morning for me...

yes please...someone explain how to do it......

thank the same Boozo.....for all these beautifull themes!!! why don't Apple hire you?

MacX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2002, 10:59 AM

Hi
No, I wont, That would make the theme much larger and it would also add 4 new themes to the theme list.. You can easily do it yourself with themepark or sprocket, though. The resource is called "Root Menu Caps", just change it so it looks the way "Root Menu Fill" does.
Great I'll change it myself for my internal use then. Again thanks alot bOOzo.

smeger
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2002, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by smeger:

Well, I probably spoke a little too quickly here. I was thinking about adding another entry to the tvar resource, setting up a new corresponding tdat resource, and spoofing the OS to use that.

But then it occurred to me that there's a lot more involved in switching variants than that. There's a mapping between variant identifier strings, variant identifier numbers and tvar resources. This mapping appears to be hardcoded into the OS.

So, unless someone knows where, for example, com.apple.theme.appearance.aqua.graphite maps to ID 6 (or 0, can't remember which), maps to tvar 3, I officially retract my 'hackable' statement.

Whoops
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

winterlandia
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2002, 02:11 AM

Love this theme. Very professional looking! Thanks b00zo!

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2002, 11:38 PM

So it no one's Duality locking up when trying to apply this theme?
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2002, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by b00zo
Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
Rhapsodized is great, but it kills Brushed Metal in iChat, Address book, etc!
Can you fix this?
That was on purpose. I don't think that the Brushed look goes very well with this theme..
I disagree. I NEED that Metal look. I mean, OS 9 has it. PLEASE put it back. This is the best Theme I have ever used and taking out Metal makes me want to hack it to put it back. I'd rather not go to those lengths. I really need that Metal look. Or an optional version! PLEASE!

This is the first theme I like and I mean really like, but it is also the first theme I've seen that takes out the Metal! I finally have Metalifizer with options to turn on/off the metal in apps you want to make it optional and I am using a theme that renders it useless. I WANT METAL! PLEASE!

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Nov 19, 2002, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by Jasoco:

That was on purpose. I don't think that the Brushed look goes very well with this theme..

I disagree. I NEED that Metal look. I mean, OS 9 has it. PLEASE put it back. This is the best Theme I have ever used and taking out Metal makes me want to hack it to put it back. I'd rather not go to those lengths. I really need that Metal look. Or an optional version! PLEASE!

This is the first theme I like and I mean really like, but it is also the first theme I've seen that takes out the Metal! I finally have Metalifizer with options to turn on/off the metal in apps you want to make it optional and I am using a theme that renders it useless. I WANT METAL! PLEASE!
[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I wont put it back. It looks to strange with the new titlbar buttons. I recommend that you disable all metal appearance instead.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2002, 03:05 AM

I already HAD Metal disabled for months. I wanted it off only on iChat so I could make the app look like it should. But now that Metallifizer gives the option to set certain apps, I can just turn off iChat. But now Metal apps look strange and bad. I want Metal on the other Metal apps.

OBVIOUSLY, you do not realize that iTunes, QuickTime and other old metal apps don't use the Themeing way of Metallifizing the windows so removing the metal will make these apps stand out too badly. I want Metal back in apps that should have it. You shouldn't be the one who removes the metal. Let people download Metallifized to do that themselves if they want to. I want metal back.

Why can't you just make a second set of the themes with the metal in them? You made two sets of other ones.

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Nov 19, 2002, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by Jasoco:
I already HAD Metal disabled for months. I wanted it off only on iChat so I could make the app look like it should. But now that Metallifizer gives the option to set certain apps, I can just turn off iChat. But now Metal apps look strange and bad. I want Metal on the other Metal apps.

OBVIOUSLY, you do not realize that iTunes, QuickTime and other old metal apps don't use the Themeing way of Metallifizing the windows so removing the metal will make these apps stand out too badly. I want Metal back in apps that should have it. You shouldn't be the one who removes the metal. Let people download Metallifized to do that themselves if they want to. I want metal back.

Why can't you just make a second set of the themes with the metal in them? You made two sets of other ones.
I do realize that iTunes and Quicktime have brushed appearance, but they also have the aqua titlbar buttons. If I enabled brushed metal in Rhapsodized, there would be even more inconsistency since some brushed apps would have the aqua buttons and other the rhapsodized buttons.
If you desperately want brushed metal, just edit the theme yourself. Copy over 4 pxms starting with "Metal" from aqua into rhapsodized and you're all set.

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2002, 08:21 PM

Can't you just use this to add metal?

Click Me

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2002, 01:25 AM

b00zo: I'll do that. I just wanted to speak my peice. Whatever.

Fluid: That's Metalifizer. I am already using that as you would know if you read my reply carefully. What we're talking about is how b00zo replaced the images that make metal look like metal.

Oh, b00zo: I actually thought the Close/Max/Min buttons in the Metal windows looked kinda cool. But I understand why you would turn it off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules