Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone in the same boat as me?

Anyone in the same boat as me?
jef152psu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2003, 10:24 AM

Just curious to see if anyone is in the same boat as me. I ordered a 1ghz Ti way back when they first came out. I have a friend that works at an Apple store, so he placed the order with his discount (order placed 11/09/2002).

Apple kept delaying the shipping on my powerbook....eventually it got delayed to the day after Macworld SF2k3. Then the new powerbooks were announced. So I called and had my order upgraded.......I was told a shipping date of Feb 20th. Of course now that date is March 21...

I understand that apple employee orders get filled last......but this is getting insane. Haveing had the order into Apple since November.....I feel like I should be one of the first few in line...(wishful thinking, I know)

sigh......I guess I am just ranting.....I sold my old powerbook in order to pay for this new one, that was back around the end of november because I assumed that the ship date was firm after Apple had already delayed it once.
( Last edited by jef152psu; Jan 24, 2003 at 08:13 PM. )

cambro
Senior User
Jan 24, 2003, 10:55 AM

Hmmm, somehow I can't muster TOO much sympathy since you are getting an Apple employee discount!

That said...I feel your pain. Don't know what I'd do for 3 months without my machine!

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2003, 06:49 PM

A friend of mine had ordered the 15" PowerBook (titanium) and he's been climbing the walls since it never arrives. He called the dealer today and they had been told that the new 15" PowerBooks will be Aluminium cased too, but not with the bluetooth and the Firewire 2. He was told he could expect them to be shipped on february 10th.

Not sure how true this is, but he's a happy camper.
/Petra

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2003, 08:01 PM

CyberPet
Can you please double check with your friend. You said the 15" PBs will be ALUMINUM coming out when? Feb.10th? Please, please double check. Thanks.

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2003, 08:22 PM

I actually did, since I was a bit shocked about this too, and my friend said that the dealer he had spoken to had said it's 90% certain it'd be made of aluminium.

BUT, like always.... nothing is certain until you see it, right?

It might have been just the dealer trying to keep my friend calm since he's been waiting for his Powerbook for a month. But it wouldn't surprise me that the new 15" will be made of aluminium too, soon... since it seem to do a great deal for heat issues as well.

If I only had known, then I would have waited...
/Petra

cliff
Jan 24, 2003, 09:33 PM

I am in the same situation. Ordered my 15" and a 20gb Ipod Dec 9th through the Apple Employee store. Upgraded to the 17" right after they were announced. I'm also waiting on my Ipod, which has been set back until Jan 31.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2003, 09:36 PM

I'm in a 'boat' as well...

I waited over month for MacWorld so prices would come down on an iBook...I changed my choice to the 12' PB after that was unveiled...now, a 15.4' is 'rumoured' to be released in a little over 2 weeks....my mind is spinning...

jef152psu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2003, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by cliff:
I am in the same situation. Ordered my 15" and a 20gb Ipod Dec 9th through the Apple Employee store. Upgraded to the 17" right after they were announced. I'm also waiting on my Ipod, which has been set back until Jan 31.

Well I don't feel quite as bad now, at least there are others in the same situation. Now if only Steve Jobs were reading this and emailed me to give me his personal guarantee that my 17" PB will ship on 3/21/2003........

Man I gotta stop thinking about it....drivin me nutz

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2003, 10:14 PM

I'm sort of in your boat. I kept the TiSD 15" though and am quite happy with the decision. Deliveries of the super17book falls right in line to what I was expecting. I'll hold tight with the TiBook, 60-90 days without this badboy would be brutal.

dagmar
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by craigthomas:
I'm sort of in your boat. I kept the TiSD 15" though and am quite happy with the decision. Deliveries of the super17book falls right in line to what I was expecting. I'll hold tight with the TiBook, 60-90 days without this badboy would be brutal.
What's the news you've gotten on a possible ship date. I've been doing some checking, as I'm also contemplating this pb...Apple store now lists them as not shipping for 7-10 days; Smalldog, the same: not available for 7-10 days. What gives with this, anyone

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2003, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by dagmar:
What's the news you've gotten on a possible ship date. I've been doing some checking, as I'm also contemplating this pb...Apple store now lists them as not shipping for 7-10 days; Smalldog, the same: not available for 7-10 days. What gives with this, anyone
Hopefully soon for those who are counting every minute to get their new 17" babies. The TiBooks are no slouch if you are considering that instead.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2003, 01:19 AM

I was at CompUSA this afternoon looking to inspect the 12-inch PowerBook, knowing full well that it is too small, the 17-inch too big, and the 15-inch being "just right."

I asked the Apple Rep there about when the 15-inch model would be upgraded and he said he knew but wasn't allowed to give out that information. That led me to believe that it was coming out soon, otherwise he would have said no the Titanium's are here to stay for awhile (aside from the Rep having the warmth and charm of an unflushed toilet).
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2003, 02:02 AM

I asked the Apple Rep there about when the 15-inch model would be upgraded and he said he knew
Thanks Dave. That's the best joke I've heard in a long time.
A CompUSA rep who knows something, let alone one who has inside news regarding future updates.

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2003, 03:34 AM

Just went to the Apple online store, the 15' Powerbook shipping time has gone up to 30 days.

This is the end of the Titanium as we know it.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2003, 04:34 AM

Wow this is a very interesting thread! If the 15" aluminum powerbooks rumors are true, then I wonder if Apple will replace the titanium cases with the new Al cases. My poor Ti-800 is suffering from the chipped/bubbling paint syndrome. I remember reading that some people on this board sent back their PBs(still under waranty) and had the cases replaced with newer ones.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2003, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by issa:
Thanks Dave. That's the best joke I've heard in a long time.
A CompUSA rep who knows something, let alone one who has inside news regarding future updates.
issa I believe the "CompUSA rep" is really an "Apple rep" they do not work for CompUSA.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2003, 08:11 AM

Thanks TheIceMan. I stand corrected.

Somehow still can't help but suspect that an "Apple rep" stationed at a CompUSA can't be privy to much inside news. Then again, I've never been inside a CompUSA and imagine the setup has improved since hearing all the horror stories on mail lists in the past. So, I should keep my lame jokes to myself, eh?!.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2003, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by GK:
Just went to the Apple online store, the 15' Powerbook shipping time has gone up to 30 days.

This is the end of the Titanium as we know it.
I just checked Apple's online - 15" Ti's are listed at "New orders shipping in 1-3 days."

iBorg

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2003, 11:02 AM

I'm sorry I meant to say Apple Rep. I made a bad.

<sidenote> It was kind of funny when the Apple Rep took the new PowerBook 12-inch out...every CompUSA guy came over to see it. They wanted to see the light-up keyboard! Then they asked, "So okay, where's the 17-inch?" The Apple guy was such a prick though. </sidenote>

Originally posted by iBorg:
I just checked Apple's online - 15" Ti's are listed at "New orders shipping in 1-3 days."
If you bring the order all the way to checkout it says "30 Days." That follows the pattern that we may see an updated PowerBook 15.4" tomorrow or Tuesday perhaps.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2003, 11:26 AM

No Dave, you typed Apple Rep in the first place. My error.

Not to dampen your fun, but I suspect the dates at the online Apple Store are just messed up at the moment. I went for a look and, sure enough, when one arrives at the "check out" the 1GHz with SuperDrive shows an estimated delivery of 30 days. At the same time, the 867MHz with Combo Drive shows 1-2 days. Hard to imagine they'd be tweaking the date for just one of the 15.2" configurations in anticipation of some rollout so soon after the announcements at the Expo.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2003, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by issa:
No Dave, you typed Apple Rep in the first place. My error.

Not to dampen your fun, but I suspect the dates at the online Apple Store are just messed up at the moment. I went for a look and, sure enough, when one arrives at the "check out" the 1GHz with SuperDrive shows an estimated delivery of 30 days. At the same time, the 867MHz with Combo Drive shows 1-2 days. Hard to imagine they'd be tweaking the date for just one of the 15.2" configurations in anticipation of some rollout so soon after the announcements at the Expo.
I get 30 days for every PowerBook (12, 15, and 17). I also get even wilder times for the iBooks and the iMacs. Something's coming...

Forum Links
Forum Rules