Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] Upcoming Theme: Trekkie

[ANN] Upcoming Theme: Trekkie
Seion
Dec 14, 2003, 08:25 PM

Alright folks, thought I'd post a little announcement up here, mostly so that I can be reminded to finish this theme (or pushed to, as the case may be.)

So, I'm announcing my first theme: Trekkie.

Estimated Release: December 2003

For now I leave you with this teaser image:

This theme should make the inner geek in many of us happy
Normal People Worry Me.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 08:27 PM

Glad to see lots of new themes coming out now. Is it going to be GUIKit?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Seion  (op)
Dec 14, 2003, 08:30 PM

Guikit only.

I apologize to all those who have not gotten ShapeShifter, but it really does make theming a whole lot easier, not to mention that this theme would be impossible to make without the custom text colors.
Normal People Worry Me.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 08:34 PM

umm ok, not much of a teaser but cool that there are new themes in the works. I just hope it looks cooler than the ugly star-trek computer UI.
click one

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2003, 08:36 PM

The teaser looks interesting... when can we expect this by?

Seion  (op)
Dec 14, 2003, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
umm ok, not much of a teaser but cool that there are new themes in the works. I just hope it looks cooler than the ugly star-trek computer UI.
Then this theme is not for you, NetworkShadow.

The theme is completely based upon the LCARS system.

That interface holds a very special place in many a Trekkie's heart.
Normal People Worry Me.

Seion  (op)
Dec 14, 2003, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
The teaser looks interesting... when can we expect this by?
For that:

Originally posted by Seion:
Estimated Release: December 2003
( Last edited by Seion; Dec 14, 2003 at 09:00 PM. )
Normal People Worry Me.

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 09:08 PM

cool you should put some light-saber elements in there

</itWasAJokeDontHoundMe>

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2003, 09:18 PM

For that:
eh... I really should try reading the entire post more often...

Seion  (op)
Dec 14, 2003, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by cloudaj:
cool you should put some light-saber elements in there

</itWasAJokeDontHoundMe>
=0.0=

I was putting in a fresh gas canister into my flamethrower right up until I read the last part of your post.

Lucky You.
Normal People Worry Me.

Seion  (op)
Dec 14, 2003, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
eh... I really should try reading the entire post more often...
Happens to the best of us.
Normal People Worry Me.

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2003, 10:32 PM

Cool, I really hope you can pull it off. I'd love to see a good LCARS theme. Of course, then someone would need to make a bunch of icons in the Trek theme. That would be pretty cool too.

Seion  (op)
Dec 14, 2003, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by servo:
Cool, I really hope you can pull it off. I'd love to see a good LCARS theme. Of course, then someone would need to make a bunch of icons in the Trek theme. That would be pretty cool too.
It's proving to be quite a challenge, making elements that fit within Aqua's dimensions while staying true to the LCARS system.

You're right, I did make plans to try and make an iContainer of icons to match the theme, as the Aqua icons look terribly out of place.

I *might* delay the release of Trekkie because of this.

Hopefully the oodles of free time I'll have in the coming weeks will mean that I'll be able to get it out by New Years. *crosses fingers*

However, I won't rush anything. I want this to be a theme that any Star Trek fan would be proud of =)
Normal People Worry Me.

Mike S.
Senior User
Dec 14, 2003, 11:50 PM

Has there ever been a really good LCARS theme? Can somebody show me a picture of it?

Maybe the source material just makes that impossible but I'd like to be surprised :-P

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 01:11 AM

Well if you pull it off, it could be good. But I never really liked the computer UI on StarTrek.
click one

Seion  (op)
Dec 15, 2003, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
Has there ever been a really good LCARS theme? Can somebody show me a picture of it?

Maybe the source material just makes that impossible but I'd like to be surprised :-P
I searched, looking for inspiration, and apparently there are no system wide LCARS themes out there for either Windoze or Mac OS - only a few application skins that seemed like they were done in 30 minute's time.

I'm trying hard to make it a good, usable theme. =)
Normal People Worry Me.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 02:17 AM

Only problem is no real Star Trek fan would call him or herself (okay, himself) a "Trekkie." Most hate that term, as a matter of fact.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
Only problem is no real Star Trek fan would call him or herself (okay, himself) a "Trekkie." Most hate that term, as a matter of fact.
Good Point. That helps the subject a lot.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 02:20 AM

Whateva, Junior.

EDIT for those without a clue: Such a theme appeals to me and, no doubt, many other Trek fans out there. It will be interesting to see how you pull it off, because LCARS doesn't seem practical when seen on television. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Seion  (op)
Dec 15, 2003, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Well if you pull it off, it could be good. But I never really liked the computer UI on StarTrek.
We'll, hopefully I'll do a good enough job to satisfy you

Like I said, I'm modeling each element to stay as true as Aqua dimensions (and current ThemePark/ShapeShifter abilities) allow to the LCARS menu system.

It's a depearture from regular themes. The LCARS menu system is not 3D or 2.5D as Aqua and many other themes for OSX are, so expect the full, 2D LCARS experience.

Now if only the button control text and out-of-button control text colors were separate...
Normal People Worry Me.

Seion  (op)
Dec 15, 2003, 02:22 AM

And that is a sign that one takes one's self entirely too seriously.

I proudly call myself a trekkie. Sad for those who don't.

As far as why the theme is named Trekkie, I needed a good, recognizable name that isn't trademarked by Paramount Pictures, ergo Trekkie.
Normal People Worry Me.

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 02:25 AM

Whateva, Junior.

EDIT for those without a clue: Such a theme appeals to me and, no doubt, many other Trek fans out there. It will be interesting to see how you pull it off, because LCARS doesn't seem practical when seen on television. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
And post count is important! Next you will try and correct my grammar.........

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 02:25 AM

And that is a sign that one takes one's self entirely too seriously.

I proudly call myself a trekkie. Sad for those who don't.
No. Taking oneself too seriously would be labeling yourself because of a TV show. Sad for me? Um, no.

<gives up>

Seion  (op)
Dec 15, 2003, 02:30 AM

No. Taking oneself too seriously would be labeling yourself because of a TV show. Sad for me? Um, no.

<gives up>
I don't define my life by labels. I merely use the term as a way of showing my affection and enthusiasm for the series.

I ask of you to please not turn my thread into a flame war or post count "upper."

After all, I'm merely announcing my attempts at making and LCARS based theme for Panther, in hopes of gaining encouragement to finish it on time.

Thank You.
Normal People Worry Me.

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 02:39 AM

I don't define my life by labels. I merely use the term as a way of showing my affection and enthusiasm for the series.

I ask of you to please not turn my thread into a flame war or post count "upper."

After all, I'm merely announcing my attempts at making and LCARS based theme for Panther, in hopes of gaining encouragement to finish it on time.

Thank You.
Good luck. It should be tough.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2003, 06:31 AM

Be warned, Paramount are very protective of the LCARS 'OS look' and attempt to quickly shut down any 'unauthorised' copying (even more so than Apple was against, 'Aqua' themes). A guy I know who developed a OS9 Kal theme, got a cease and desist letter from Paramount telling him to Pull both his theme and his 'LCARS' style website (it was a better interpretation of it than the official Paramount site at the time).

Seion  (op)
Dec 15, 2003, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
Be warned, Paramount are very protective of the LCARS 'OS look' and attempt to quickly shut down any 'unauthorised' copying (even more so than Apple was against, 'Aqua' themes). A guy I know who developed a OS9 Kal theme, got a cease and desist letter from Paramount telling him to Pull both his theme and his 'LCARS' style website (it was a better interpretation of it than the official Paramount site at the time).
Yes, I'm tip-toeing around this as carefully as possible, not to mention researching legal options.

On the bright side, it seems they've lightened up quite a bit recently, as I've run into quite a few LCARS inspired sites that seem to have been running for quite a while and are still up.

The key is that you can't make a cent or charge a cent, otherwise the dogs will be on you like a tasty bone.

It seems their more recent friendliness towards fan sites and implementations are due to a decline in viewership (which has led to the more mainstream friendly Enterprise, which doesn't even have "Star Trek" in its name.) They're trying to recruit a mainstream (and therefore larger) market, which means that letting fan sites and works, as long as they're not making money, exist means basically free advertising for them.
Normal People Worry Me.

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2003, 07:14 AM

Well, i hope you can do a good job at making a trek-theme... and not some cheap ugly-looking thing with just similar colors, etc. I've seen some many well-intended themes go horribly fugly

That said, looking forward to it

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2003, 11:55 AM

is this what you mean by LCARS? cool, flat, but cool.

benign
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 01:13 PM

Send this baby where no-man
has gone before ...

Simple Empire...

Seion  (op)
Dec 15, 2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
is this what you mean by LCARS? cool, flat, but cool.
Yes, that is the LCARS system. A better example can be found at: http://www.lcars-interface.de/

It is flat, and a contrast theme - makes for a large change from aqua.
Normal People Worry Me.

Mike S.
Senior User
Dec 15, 2003, 02:54 PM

On the name: Couldn't you just use Trek or Fleet? They're generic, dictionary words.

On Enterprise: They're now using Star Trek in the opening title sequence.

On the theme in general: I hope you'll include matching desktops and browser buttons to complete the look and I don't think I've ever seen a progress bar on Star Trek, I guess their computers never keep you waiting :-P

Seion  (op)
Dec 15, 2003, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
On the name: Couldn't you just use Trek or Fleet? They're generic, dictionary words.

On Enterprise: They're now using Star Trek in the opening title sequence.

On the theme in general: I hope you'll include matching desktops and browser buttons to complete the look and I don't think I've ever seen a progress bar on Star Trek, I guess their computers never keep you waiting :-P
Yes, the progress bars are actually an issue that I've hit upon... There is nothing like progress bars on Star Trek... So I'm a bit stuck on ideas for that at the moment.

I still shiver at the starting song for Enterprise *shudders* and they "spiced it up" this season as well... yuck.

I'm planning on matching desktops. As far as browser buttons... only as time allows. If it means that I would have to delay the theme, then I'll release the browser buttons at a later point in time after the theme's release.

Fleet... hrm, I think I like that.
Normal People Worry Me.

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2003, 04:11 AM

*ahem*

Yes, the progress bars are actually an issue that I've hit upon... There is nothing like progress bars on Star Trek... So I'm a bit stuck on ideas for that at the moment.
For the progress bars why not have some kind of warp intermix going on?

Fleet... hrm, I think I like that.
For naming suggestions how about Trekkin' or LCARS-X? After you finish with this theme have you thought about making a theme based on the UI used in Enterprise?
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

tinkergaloot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2003, 04:38 AM

You might find some inspiration here:
http://www.lcarscom.net/

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2004, 04:22 PM

Any news on this theme? Maybe a screen shot teaser?

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2004, 08:52 PM

I guess he really MEANT to say December 2004!

Dace
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 10:05 PM

Why Trekkie? Why not Trekker (which is the proper word)?

Lets stop degrading the english language any further. Do any of you even know what "Trek" means?? Just wondering.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2004, 12:44 AM

To trek is to travel great distances quite slowly. It's a South African word if I am not mistaken.

In this case it refers to people who follow Star Trek, and from what I understand both the words "Trekkie" and "Trekker" have distinct and different meaning when referring to Star Trek fans.

A Trekkie is a simple Star trek fan who watches the shows, whereas a Trekker is someone who tries to live their life within the story telling of Star Trek, sometimes even dressing up in the uniforms etc.

Trekkie, is also a South African word which could refer to a "small" traveller.

So Both Trekker and Trekkie could be used in my opinion.

Umm enough trivia

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 01:26 AM

A Trekkie is a simple Star trek fan who watches the shows, whereas a Trekker is someone who tries to live their life within the story telling of Star Trek, sometimes even dressing up in the uniforms etc.
I thought it was just the opposite?

Couldn't resist.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2004, 10:40 AM

[B]I thought it was just the opposite?

Couldn't resist.

Um I don't think anyone knows really, I saw a documentry where even the trekkies(or trekkers) were arguing about it...

Anyway, was just some trivia I thought pertinent

dru
Senior User
Jan 10, 2004, 04:23 PM

If this *is* based on LCARS could you pleasedo a variant based on the blue & green 23rd century LCARS seen in Trek films 5, 6 & 7. It's so much mor appealing than the standard TNG color scheme.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2004, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by dru:
If this *is* based on LCARS could you pleasedo a variant based on the blue & green 23rd century LCARS seen in Trek films 5, 6 & 7. It's so much mor appealing than the standard TNG color scheme
^^ What he said. ^^

Great suggestion!

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2004, 10:31 PM

Guikit only.

I apologize to all those who have not gotten ShapeShifter, but it really does make theming a whole lot easier, not to mention that this theme would be impossible to make without the custom text colors.
Shapeshifter is the only way to go. There's no excuse not to shell out $20 for it. I don't own a credit card. I got a friend to do it for me and I paid him. I have no sympathy for people that won't support shareware just because they want a handout. Anyhow. Shapeshifter is good.

themarvelous3
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2004, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
this is because the company I work for (national amusements inc.) is run by power/money hungry doops. thats why we charge 6 bucks for a popcorn after you pay $9 to see the movie. and we (paramont) hasnt put out ANYTHING good since nat.amusements bought them...sad

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 02:10 AM

this is because the company I work for (national amusements inc.) is run by power/money hungry doops. thats why we charge 6 bucks for a popcorn after you pay $9 to see the movie
National Amusements, like most big companies, very well be run by "power/money hungry doops," but that's not why a large popcorn cost $6. Concessions is where about 85% of exhibitors' profits come from. The studios get almost all the money from movie ticket sales. The movies are just a way to get bodies in the building to sell popcorn, in fact. If there was no $6 popcorn, a movie ticket would cost (at least) $15.

-(Reluctant) Former Megaplex Manager/Part-time Know-It-All

Seion  (op)
Jan 12, 2004, 03:09 AM

If this *is* based on LCARS could you pleasedo a variant based on the blue & green 23rd century LCARS seen in Trek films 5, 6 & 7. It's so much mor appealing than the standard TNG color scheme.
I rise from the ashes to comment again!

Yes, this suggestion has come from multiple people, and I will be exploring this option.

I too, find that color scheme pleasing.

It has become painfully apparent that I won't finish this theme in time for the Unsanity Contest, like I wanted to.

I've hit a big snag with finding enough free time to work on this theme, with college, student government, work, and things like relationships (who knew I could have one of those?! =P )

Anyways, I'm very unhappy with one aspect of the theme right now, and it has to do mainly with a "flaw" in how ShapeShifter handles text colors.

By the nature of LCARS, I would have to make the control text on buttons black. However, the background color of the windows must also be black, making control text outside of buttons invisible. Not. Good.

I tried compromising by making the control text a dark purple... but I'm not happy at all with that solution... it looks cheap.

That's really bothering me right now. Not to mention I must finish all the small little elements that are not visible all the time. And there's quite a few of the suckers. Anyone that doesn't respect themers should open up ThemePark, start a new theme and just take a look at exactly how LARGE a list of images make up a whole theme. Very exhausting and daunting.

I'm also not happy with my current design for progress bars, which I mentioned before are something for which there is no real precedent in Star Trek... I was thinking along the lines of some of the warp intermix bars that someone suggested earlier, but again, it has to look good while fitting into Aqua's requirements...

For the lack of a better expression... I'm pulling a bbx (Sorry Bill) and putting the release date on hold for the time being.

No, it's not becoming vaporware. I've worked too hard on the parts I've got done to let it do that.

Hopefully, SS 1.1 will come out soon and perhaps fix the text color issue so that I can finally be satisfied with how it looks... I really hate the purple that I have to have right now...
Normal People Worry Me.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 04:57 AM

No, it's not becoming vaporware. I've worked too hard on the parts I've got done to let it do that.

Hopefully, SS 1.1 will come out soon and perhaps fix the text color issue so that I can finally be satisfied with how it looks... I really hate the purple that I have to have right now...
Suggestion: Maybe you should show another themer and get some suggestions on how to overcome your current problem.

In any case, most of us without the time or ability to create our own themes are appreciative of everybody's hard work. Thanks for the update.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jan 13, 2004, 10:31 PM

The LCARS menu system is not 3D or 2.5D as Aqua and many other themes for OSX are, so expect the full, 2D LCARS experience.
Don't forget that one of the really nice touches about the REAL LCARS interface is that it is backlit and thus the lighting of it is uneven (ie the pads all have a gradient/shaded look tothem). LCARS interfaces on the web are always a flat colour and look horrible.

It will be interesting to see how you pull it off, because LCARS doesn't seem practical when seen on television.
I disagree - but then I read the TNG technical manual years back and it explained what LCARS is all about. Simply put its an interface that dynamically adjusts to suite individual tasks - for example let's say you were sitting at a station in Engineering you could actually reconfigure your console to instead be the helm controls. Furthermore you can tailor it - if a particular person prefers the GUI arranged differently they can change it around. Of course, by their own admission, one of the major reasons for making it this way was so that viewers don't complain that people keep hitting different buttons to do the same thing - because the crew could have simply changed it or gone in a different way. The unrealistic thing I hate about LCARS is that 30% of the buttons are usually blank or just numbers/code, so as if you'd know what they do. Since TNG began doing movies this has been worse - rather than the LCARS GUI being as accurate as possible it is now filled with 90% of buttons being numbers/code/blank.

I don't think the TOS era interface (the one used in later movies as well as TOS era ships featured in TNG) is actually LCARS. However in the latest movie, Star Trek: Nemesis, the LCARS interface had a major overhaul and was extremely blue. I quite liked it.

But as for an actual LCARS progress bar - I am certain there was a TNG episode once where a panel showed the progress of something being done. I'll keep rattling my brain on that.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jan 13, 2004, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
But as for an actual LCARS progress bar - I am certain there was a TNG episode once where a panel showed the progress of something being done. I'll keep rattling my brain on that.
Okay just thought of one example - the season 3 (I think?) episode "Booby Trap". Geordi was getting the computer to run simulations of flying the Enterprise out of an asteroid field littered with energy draining/radiation outputting devices. When he ran one of the simulations, after already running one, the computer displayed a line of text that cycled something like:

"New Simulation: Inputing Parameters..."
"New Simulation: Configuring Simulation..."
"New Simulation: Resetting Simulation..."
"New Simulation: READY"

So not a progress bar, but it was an instance of the LCARS GUI showing "progress" which is rare. Still trying to think of more...

Forum Links
Forum Rules