Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > I've switched to Webkit nightlies because of enhanced dev tools

I've switched to Webkit nightlies because of enhanced dev tools
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2009, 05:48 PM

The developer tools in Webkit have been really beefed up in the Nightlies for about a month now:

Surfin’ Safari - Blog Archive � Web Inspector Updates

With these changes it looks like I can abandon Firefox and my beloved Firebug extension. It looks like Glimmerblock and ClickToFlash should take care of replacing my other favorite Firefox extensions.

The beefed up web inspector has not only caught up with Firebug, but it looks like it has actually surpassed it with being able to view event listeners attached to elements within the DOM, even external listeners. The whole breakpoints thing looks pretty sweet too, as does the integrated display of session information, and the AJAX process display looks a little better than Firebug's too. Other features like console logging and the all important modification of CSS rules and selectors looks to have matched Firebug.

It will take me a while to get settled in Webkit and to get out of the habit of clicking on the Firefox icon, but from the looks of it I'm here to stay! I'll update this thread with various observations about the improved developer tools, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how you've put them to good use too!

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2009, 05:51 PM

You can download the Webkit nightlies here:

WebKit Nightly Builds

What's the status of Safari in Windows? Has it improved since its initial release? I'm wondering if we'll start to see developers on the Windows side abandon Firefox or IE 8 (its developer tools are better than the current release of Safari in some ways) for Webkit, if not so already.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2009, 08:27 PM

Ok, so I'm a n00b.

What's the main advantages / improvements over the regular Safari ?
Or is it only relevant for web developers ?

-t

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2009, 08:32 PM

I can't speak to the other non-developer enhancements of the nightlies, I haven't looked into any of them.

andi*pandi
Dec 7, 2009, 12:45 PM

interesting. It would take a lot for me to abandon my Firebug, but I'll check it out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules