Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Ext. Firewire cd burner

Ext. Firewire cd burner
bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 04:30 PM

Hey all,

I'm looking to get an external cd burner for my mac and was just wondering what you could recommend, or advise? I'm totally out of touch with what is what, but was wondering if i need to get a special type which basically acts like a superdrive minus the dvd/r stuff, but has all the benefits that one of those has, like burning from the finder, itunes, disk copy, etc.

Thanks for any help.
PIXAR Animation Studios

schuss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 04:57 PM

apple has a list of itunes compatible drives here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/storage.html

make sure whatever you choose works with itunes, or it'll be headaches for sure.
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow

bamburg dunes  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 05:40 PM

Thanks for that, helped a lot.
PIXAR Animation Studios

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 06:40 PM

I picked up a Buslink 32x12x40 FW drive at MicroCenter for about $90 in February. I think that the 42x18x48 is that price now.

Not the greatest construction, but it reads/writes a lot quicker than my 2x SuperDrive.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

DNA man
Senior User
Jun 27, 2003, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by bamburg dunes:
Hey all,

I'm looking to get an external cd burner for my mac and was just wondering what you could recommend, or advise? I'm totally out of touch with what is what, but was wondering if i need to get a special type which basically acts like a superdrive minus the dvd/r stuff, but has all the benefits that one of those has, like burning from the finder, itunes, disk copy, etc.

Thanks for any help.
I bought the Lacie external FW burner a couple of months ago. It comes with a 2 year warranty and I have not had a coaster yet!

It's good value at �99 in the UK.

bamburg dunes  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2003, 05:02 AM

Originally posted by DNA man:
I bought the Lacie external FW burner a couple of months ago. It comes with a 2 year warranty and I have not had a coaster yet!

It's good value at �99 in the UK.
Cheers everyone for the help. I had a look at the lacie and the buslink ones, lacie do nice drives, I like the pocket one, tidy little thing.
No bum discs too sounds ideal.
PIXAR Animation Studios

bamburg dunes  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2003, 05:21 AM

DNAman, did you go for the d2 lacie 52x24x52? Does that work fine from the finder and so on?

Thanks again.

Update: It's cool, saw on Apple's site that it supported itunes and was fien with X.
( Last edited by bamburg dunes; Jun 27, 2003 at 05:30 AM. )
PIXAR Animation Studios

DNA man
Senior User
Jun 27, 2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by bamburg dunes:
DNAman, did you go for the d2 lacie 52x24x52? Does that work fine from the finder and so on?

Thanks again.

Update: It's cool, saw on Apple's site that it supported itunes and was fien with X.
I did go for the d2 drive and I have had no problems with finder and as you know now it does support iTunes.
Happy burning!

CIA
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 07:21 PM

about 8 months ago I would've told you to buy a Firewire case and a internal IDE CD-RW drive that works with iTunes. I built a firewire 48x-12x-48x CD-RW this way for about $80. But these days you can just buy a pre-built one for that much.
I recommend the Lite-On drives, they work flawlessly and are cheap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules