Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > A freezing July?

A freezing July?
oceanace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2001, 09:38 PM

This Rev. B iMac won't shut down at all. Every time that I try to shut it down it freezes. I suspect an extension conflict because I recently have installed Action Menus (A program that I really like). Turning the program off does not help. I have not tried to uninstall it. Could it be something else? I have no choice but to unplug the computer (which I really hate). Any ideas?

Patrick
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2001, 03:21 AM

Turning off the program probably doesn't turn off its extensions (or is it a control panel?). Try going to the Extensions Manager control panel and turning off whatever extensions or control panels were installed by Action Menus. If that doesn't work, the problem might be another extension conflict or something.

Is the Apple Menu Options control panel on? I remember that Now Menus and the Apple Menu Options created a conflict, but I haven't used the former in a long time.

Also, to restart your iMac you can stick a straightened paper clip into the reset hole next to the ethernet port (Apple didn't put reset buttons on iMacs until rev. C or D). Or if the mouse and keyboard aren't frozen, command-shift-power will restart . If you do unplug it, I hear it's best to wait 30 seconds before plugging it back in.

<unregistered>
Aug 1, 2001, 05:22 AM

I've got a G4 and got the same shutdown problem. Do you find that no disk damage occurs though (ie disk first aid doesn't find anything wrong)?

I thought it was a hardware problem at first, but a clean install solved it. However, when I reinstalled all my apps (which is a lot), the same problem occurs. I can't actually pinpoint what piece of software is causing the problem.

I would say it's the ProFormac codec for their tv card, but do you have this? (not the card obviously, but the USB version of the card). The card itself isn't the problem, neither is any extra hardware or peripherals.

Extensions off doesn't help either!!?

I've got a feeling that one of the installers adds something to the system file - some installers add resources this way. Maybe it's one of those faceless apps that launches in the background - but extensions off stops these from launching.

I'm running OS 9.1 at the moment. Post details of the type of software you are running so that we can find a common ground.
I'm mainly using MS office, graphics stuff and pro audio. I also use a few utilities. Computer is G4 500DP w/640 RAM, 2*40GB HD on internal ATA.

oceanace  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2001, 10:14 AM

Thanks to both of you.
Patrick, I went to the extension manager and created a new set. It seems to work fine now. I'm not sure what the conflict was, but I will compare the two sets when I have more time. My hunch is the same as yours --That the Action Menu control panel has deactivated the Apple menu control, but somehow there is still some conflict in the software remaining.
To unregistered, No there wasn't any damage that I'm aware of. It's strange but the only flaw in the computer's opereation was that it wouldn't shut down. I run Works, Word, IE, QT Pro, iTunes, and many others that deal with recording novice audio. System 9.1, 288mgs ram, 4gig internal, 20gig external, + CD burner.

<unregistered>
Aug 3, 2001, 10:22 AM

CD burner and audio...that's the thing we have in common.

The thing is, I've since done ANOTHER complete reinstall...
...it works now

???!!!

Note to self - make sure you read this thread, then register...

Forum Links
Forum Rules