Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > prob with ethernet card and IP

prob with ethernet card and IP
grand mufti
Nov 27, 2004, 03:56 PM

Not sure if this is the right place for it but here we go....

ibook 933 10.3.6

Ok last night i took my mac off my D link router for the first time in months and hooked it up stright to the DSL ethernet cable. and in network sys prefs it shows the ethernet connection as

** built in ethernet is active. Built in ethernet has a self assigned address and may not beable to connect to the enternet**

it wont let me connect to the enternet. now im new to mac and stuff but i think that the IP it shows up as having is the machines. now i asked a good freind for help and he said run cocktail... i did so. all the tasks. still nothing. then he said i could get the info for the PPPoE off my DSL modem page and use that to connect.. witch yes that might work if i could remember the admin name and pass..... but still that dosent fix the problem next time i use the ibook out side of my house.

thanks for all you time

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 05:48 PM

You need your PPPoE info if you want to log in without your router. Period. If you have forgotten that AND your router's log in stuff, well, you're screwed. Hate it for ya.
Why are you trying to circumvent your router in the 1st place? I don't see any reason to suspect your iBook would not connect to another network somewhere else. It is giving itself a self-assigned IP because it can not connect to a DHCP server. And it can't do this cuz you forgot your password. In other words, everything is operating exactly as it should. When you go to another location, you will use their DHCP server, which in turn will connect through their ISP.

EDIT: Are you sure you use PPPoE? If you're not sure, unplug the DSL modem for a minute, then plug it back in and try connecting again.

grand mufti  (op)
Nov 27, 2004, 06:21 PM

ok someones a A** first norton..... i didnt forget my router log stuff... its my dsl modem access page admin pass .. witch i can just reset it and puff ill get in...( thats only to get teh PPP DsL modem info + your never " just screwed " just reset and your in ) the problem is when i main line the DSL NOT USEIN THE ROUTER it will not connect. this has always worked it just started last night. i can plug my PC and i was able to plug my ibook in and it always connected with out a login or sign up.. if i want to circumvent my router i can with out you askin why. it was to test something. no all in all its not workin as it should because its not how it worked before. it seems that my prefs are corrupted in some way.

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Nov 27, 2004, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by grand mufti:
ok someones a A** first norton..... i didnt forget my router log stuff... its my dsl modem access page admin pass .. witch i can just reset it and puff ill get in...( thats only to get teh PPP DsL modem info + your never " just screwed " just reset and your in ) the problem is when i main line the DSL NOT USEIN THE ROUTER it will not connect. this has always worked it just started last night. i can plug my PC and i was able to plug my ibook in and it always connected with out a login or sign up.. if i want to circumvent my router i can with out you askin why. it was to test something. no all in all its not workin as it should because its not how it worked before. it seems that my prefs are corrupted in some way.
hey nooB, if you chew everyone's arse when they attempt to help you, you can't look forward to many responses.

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

grand mufti  (op)
Nov 27, 2004, 08:59 PM

hey i wont chew if ppl dont chew on me first. so screw it i fixed... so i guess im a noob still

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by grand mufti:
It's hard to parse your illiteracy, but I'm pretty sure you're attempting an insult in this somewhere. So, dude, RIF.
Perhaps it would work better if you took those corrupt preferences and inserted them in your arse. Closer to your brain that way, such that it is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules