Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My PowerBook smells weird... Overheating??

My PowerBook smells weird... Overheating??
TimothyJay
Oct 28, 2005, 10:53 AM

Yes, fellow PB users... I think my PowerBook smells... haha.

Well, lately my PowerBook has been heating up, hotter than it normally was when I first got it. I would also notice that whenever I'm in my room, I would notice some sort of smell, like overheating or burning type or smell around my PowerBook, but when I actually sniff around the PowerBook, I can't find it.

I have a very strong that it's something with my PowerBook but I don't know how to go about approaching this problem. Mind you, my system runs fine, I'm just worried that this is a problem that should be looked at.

Thanks for any input or advice in advance.

TimothyJay

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 28, 2005, 12:24 PM

My iBook smells kind of plasticy and more so when it heats up but thats fine in my opinion.

Frying/shorted electronics have a pungent ozone/onion type smell which is very unpleasant.

Number 1 is OK
Number 2 isn't good.

betasp
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2005, 02:17 PM

Is it new. There is a new PB smell. I know it sounds fully, but I think the heat cooks off some of the chemicals that are on the components. I had a new Pb smell for a few months. My wife could smell it when she walked into the room.

macanon
Oct 29, 2005, 07:08 PM

I've got an iBook returned to the shop that smells attrocious. Like sex or socks, something nasty. oh gawd.
(No kidding!)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 29, 2005, 07:09 PM

Like sex???? WTF???

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2005, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by macanon
I've got an iBook returned to the shop that smells attrocious. Like sex or socks, something nasty. oh gawd.
(No kidding!)
What were you doing with your iBook?

Seriously, did it just spontaneously start to smell bad? That's weird.

TimothyJay  (op)
Oct 31, 2005, 02:04 PM

You know, I'm not too sure how to describe the smell. I hope it's not something bad, it's just weird. I guess I'll complain about it later one when I see my powerbook emit smoke *knocks on wood*.

TimothyJay  (op)
Oct 31, 2005, 02:05 PM

You know, I'm not too sure how to describe the smell. I hope it's not something bad, it's just weird. I guess I'll complain about it later one when I see my powerbook emit smoke *knocks on wood*.

go4adive
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2005, 10:07 PM

Hi Tim,

My computer gets really hot also. I am currently trying to get Apple to look into it, but my warranty has expired, so if yours is still under warranty take it to a dealer to get bench tested.

Once I find out more about mine, I will up date this reply.

Something to look into and if I could get some info back....
Which slot does your RAM sit in? Have you tried moving your RAM to the outter slot?? My computer doesn't appear to get as hot with the RAM in the outter slot. However, I found this out too late, my inner slot doesn't work any more and I think it is due to the fact my computer got too hot.

I don't know what my options are, but it is something to think about.

Col

Forum Links
Forum Rules