Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > which monitor? v. dell

which monitor? v. dell
Darthmaul4114
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2005, 07:49 PM

in a few months im going to be in the market for a new monitor. i was wondering if you guys think a 2405fpw or a 2005fpw is a better deal. obvioulsy one of them is 4" bigger, so it's not a real even comparisson but I was wondering if it is worth the extra money.

the 2405fpw also comes with the media card reader, component inputs, and has a higher contrast ratio and brightness. other than that, I think they both have the same inputs (DVI, VGA, composite, svideo, 4 usb hub). i'd definately wait for a slickdeals.net deal like a couple weeks ago the 2405fpw was like $744. as far as I know the 2005fpw is about $550, but also has the possibility of a slickdeals.net deal.

which one would you guys get?
1.5Ghz 15" Alluminum Powerbook, 1.5Gb RAM, 64mb VRAM
iPod 4g 40GB
Dell 2405FPW

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2005, 07:57 PM

I tend to keep monitors for a long time (twice as long as systems), so I'd go with the 2405FPW.

The 2405FPW gives you 30% more screen area and 30% more pixels, in addition to all the features you mentioned.
2405FPW is $750 on rare occasion, $850 when you're lucky, and $950 most every day.
2005FPW is $350 on rare occasion, $450 when you're lucky, and $550 most every day.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2005, 12:43 AM

On a side note, I wouldn't worry about brightness with any of the Dell LCD's. Every one I have seen is very bright and people have even written apps (search versiontracker) to reduce the brightness.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

crooner
Senior User
Oct 23, 2005, 10:14 AM

Cast my vote for the 2405. I was originally going to get a pair of Apple 23" Cinema Displays but after seeing far too many problems with color issues and the like I rolled the dice and got a pair of the 24" Dells (which now bookend a 30" Apple Cinema Display). As SSharon said, these displays are VERY bright and crisp.

I actually had to create a custom monitor profile for each one to dim down the brightness as well as the white balance.

As far as your personal choice between the 20" and the 24" is concerned, I always say go for the most you can. If you time it right, you can get the 24" for as low as around $750.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

emark
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2005, 11:33 AM

Looking at the same thing myself, see this coupon:

http://www.gottadeal.com/dell.php

towards the bottom of the page. The 2005fpw just went off this deal on 10/22 which is all I can afford now. It is sad that Apple has the quality issues I've seen with contrast and pinkish reds (is this the 23" only or the 20" too???)...though they probably would be fine for casual use...but I'm sure as heck not paying premium prices for somethig that specs out worse and has these clouds over it. I'm still doing research but forced to move quickly. My dad's monitor died, I gave him mine and am going for a flat panel -- soon. working on my trusty ol' 600 Mhz g3 ibook until I can get this figured out.

If you're ready to go w/ the 24" dell check out the following, I don't know how reputable these coupon sites are but I am intrigued to try and will probably see if next week the 2005 doesn't come back down...if not, then don't know what I'll do.

69$8KC79D53S2H
Save 35% on any Dell 2405FPW 24" LCD Monitor purchase. Coupon expires 10/27/05 at 5:59 am CT or after 1500 uses, whichever comes first. (Added 10/22)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 23, 2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon
On a side note, I wouldn't worry about brightness with any of the Dell LCD's. Every one I have seen is very bright and people have even written apps (search versiontracker) to reduce the brightness.
Or you can just reduce the actual brightness (rather than doing it in software, which reduces your color gamut) by going into the display's menus.

tooki

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2005, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Or you can just reduce the actual brightness (rather than doing it in software, which reduces your color gamut) by going into the display's menus.

tooki
I should clarify and say that many people have found this brightness issue after lowering the screen's brightness to zero.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2005, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by crooner
Cast my vote for the 2405. I was originally going to get a pair of Apple 23" Cinema Displays but after seeing far too many problems with color issues and the like I rolled the dice and got a pair of the 24" Dells (which now bookend a 30" Apple Cinema Display). As SSharon said, these displays are VERY bright and crisp.

I actually had to create a custom monitor profile for each one to dim down the brightness as well as the white balance.

As far as your personal choice between the 20" and the 24" is concerned, I always say go for the most you can. If you time it right, you can get the 24" for as low as around $750.
I have to agree, the 24" Dell is worth the extra when compared to the 20". You can never have enough pixels or screen real estate. Remember this is a product you will use everyday for many hours and most likely a few years, so spring for the extra bucks!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 23, 2005, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon
I should clarify and say that many people have found this brightness issue after lowering the screen's brightness to zero.
No, if you read the reports carefully, apparently there are two ways of lowering brightness. The direct front-panel controls do not allow the brightness to be reduced much, while apparently the brightness control hidden inside the menu system does. This has been relatively widely reported.

tooki

gudrummer
Oct 24, 2005, 02:44 PM

Only the 2405 has component video input.And,honestly,i love the Apple screens,but i wouldn't buy them after seen this 2405 i have...amazing screen,not a single complain about,gonna buy another one as soon as i have the money.
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

Moon Potato
Oct 26, 2005, 02:21 AM

I bought the 2405, and I'm very happy with it... although the 2005 is roughly half the price, and not too much smaller.
Unless you need something that will display full frame 1080i video, the 2005's probably the better deal.

bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 10:29 AM

At the moment, you can get a 2005 wide-aspect for $545.22, minus $60 with a coupon, for just under $500. That's $200 less than the Apple 20 inch, with an ed discount and that's enough money that I just can't justify the Apple. (Plus, as a friend of mine pointed out, it might make more financial sense to just spend more and get a new imac, rather than spend $700 on a monitor to attach to a 5-year-old computer. I'm still considering that logic; I wasn't ready to replace this computer --gigabit ethernet, with an upgraded processor -- just yet).

Anyway, no coupons (that I found anyway) on the 20-inch widescreen from Dell, beyond the $60 and the current Dell deal of 22 percent off. I'm new to this coupon junk (and it is junk) and wonder how frequently better deals on the 2005 FPW are likely to come along. It seems from reading posts that it's possible to get this for about $350, in a really good deal, which is better than $500, certainly.

And last -- I've not found yet infor on warranty. I believe I've read Dell offers a 3-year warranty. Anyone had occasion to USE their Dell warranty, and is that right?

Thanks. Can't believe I'm going Dell, but money is money, and people have raved about the Dell. Plus, as has been pointed out, the two companies use the same manufacturer. Aple needs to bring the price of the 20 down, in my own opinion. (It's not like Steve Jobs has called to ask, though!)

bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 10:50 AM

I've just realized I could get the 2405, with coupons for $719. That's only 20 bucks more than I was going to spend on a 20-inch apple. Might have to think about that...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 26, 2005, 11:01 AM

$719? How? All the current deals I see are for $779+tax.

Edit: really weird: through Dell small business, it's $779+tax but with free shipping, while on Dell Home, it's $779+discounted (but not free) shipping, but no tax. (I'd sooner pay $6.40 shipping than $39 tax, though!)

tooki
( Last edited by tooki; Oct 26, 2005 at 11:13 AM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 26, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by bbales
I've just realized I could get the 2405, with coupons for $719. That's only 20 bucks more than I was going to spend on a 20-inch apple. Might have to think about that...
Oh, you mean using the $60 coupon, too? You can't -- it's explicitly for items over $500 but under $1000. The 2405 is $1199, so the coupon won't let itself be used.

tooki

bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Oh, you mean using the $60 coupon, too? You can't -- it's explicitly for items over $500 but under $1000. The 2405 is $1199, so the coupon won't let itself be used.

tooki
I hadn't actually tried it. I was doing the math in a different way, using the 35 percent off one first and THEN the $60 one, b/c then the item isn't more than $1,000 off. And the $60 off ones are "stackable," according to the site, so you can use them with other coupons. Apparently not in this way, however! Oh well. I wasn't ready to plunk down that kind of cash anyway. Though even $780 seems like kind of a deal for that kind of product.

Thanks.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 26, 2005, 12:42 PM

Dell coupons are always relative to the original price, not the discounted price. Yes, many of them are stackable, but the original price is the one used for calculations.

I've been wanting to get an external display for my PB for a while, perhaps now is a good time...

tooki

bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 01:05 PM

There's always a catch...

How about warranty? Three-year, right?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 26, 2005, 04:23 PM

Yes. That info is kinda hidden, but it's three years.

tooki

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2005, 01:01 AM

I am curious. Dell seems to be a very popular choice among people considering monitors, besides the Apple displays.

Have any of you considered other brands? And if so, which ones?

I am going to be in the market next month for a 17" display to go with a Mac mini, which is going to be for my little nephews Christmas gift. They are 9 years old, so DVI and all the bells and whistles are NOT necessary for this monitor.

What would you guys recommend?

I want something with a decent warranty.

Thanks!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2005, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Macpilot
I am curious. Dell seems to be a very popular choice among people considering monitors, besides the Apple displays.

Have any of you considered other brands? And if so, which ones?

I am going to be in the market next month for a 17" display to go with a Mac mini, which is going to be for my little nephews Christmas gift. They are 9 years old, so DVI and all the bells and whistles are NOT necessary for this monitor.

What would you guys recommend?

I want something with a decent warranty.
Dell provides consistent quality at rock-bottom prices (thanks to massive volume and a just-in-time inventory system). For me it's simply less hassle to buy and recommend Dell's LCDs than research the 40 different companies rebadging 4 brands of actual panels.

For your nephew I'd suggest the Dell 1704FPV. DVI and VGA (in case your mini has static on DVI), USB hub, and an adjustable stand for users of all sizes. Currently $300 at Dell.com.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2005, 02:48 AM

Thank you for the info on the Dell stuff. I have heard of people getting 17" Dells for less than $250. I can never seem to find these coupons. I go to techbargains.com and can't locate them.

What is Dell's dead pixel policy?
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2005, 02:59 PM

what do experienced purchasers think about, essentially, $500 for the 2005FPW? That expires today, though I'd have to double-check that. I'm kind of thinking this offer will be made again soon -- or do the coupons not get recycled that frequently? I know earlier this month, someone managed to get this monitor for less than $400, which is a much better deal, obviously. But that hadn't been seen since July.

Just wondering if I should grab now, or wait.

ben.mcguire
Oct 28, 2005, 06:26 PM

Thank you for the info on the Dell stuff. I have heard of people getting 17" Dells for less than $250. I can never seem to find these coupons. I go to techbargains.com and can't locate them.

What is Dell's dead pixel policy?
I asked the same question when I ordered my 2005FPW last week and was told if anything is wrong when it turns up you can return it in 10 days. When I asked if that included dead pixels he said yes

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2005, 02:55 AM

Try http://slickdeals.net/ or http://www.niftyness.com/nndd/

Originally Posted by bbales
what do experienced purchasers think about, essentially, $500 for the 2005FPW? That expires today, though I'd have to double-check that. I'm kind of thinking this offer will be made again soon -- or do the coupons not get recycled that frequently? I know earlier this month, someone managed to get this monitor for less than $400, which is a much better deal, obviously. But that hadn't been seen since July.
$500 is a good price. But if you buy it for $500, don't be surprised to see it for $397 next week.
The coupons are recycled constantly. I don't think I've seen a period longer than a week where you would have to pay list.

Darthmaul4114  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2005, 08:14 PM

yea i think im going to go for the 2405 when i get the money for it and wait for one of those $750 deals or something. I think i might have to readjust the shelves on my desk to get it to fit either that or buy a new desk. the one i have right now has actually not that much on desk space because it has a bunch of shelves and stuff that are built in. i've been looking on the powerbook setups and i really like those big flat desks, and then i can just get some book ends or something to hold up all my random stuff.

anywho, the 2405 sounds like it would be the best deal and worth the couple hundred or so over the 2005. and definately worth the 800 less than the apple 23" (actually id pay more for the 2405 than the ACD 23" anyways because it has more features built into it). mmm cant wait until i have enough money
1.5Ghz 15" Alluminum Powerbook, 1.5Gb RAM, 64mb VRAM
iPod 4g 40GB
Dell 2405FPW

macanon
Oct 30, 2005, 08:10 PM

Is there a good place besides eBay to sell my old flatscreen?
I'm thinking about upgrading and need cash before I do.

The Dell is enticing me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules