Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Firewire issues?

Firewire issues?
krove
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2008, 01:52 PM

I've got a couple Firewire drives (from Other World Computing) that I have connected to a couple macs for Time Machine. I get intermittent issues where the entire computer becomes unresponsive UNTIL I disconnect the drive. Once I pull the firewire cable, the OS interface does a fast-forward of everything I tried to do (clicking apps in the doc, clicking on menus, etc). The only real solution has been to pull the plug and then restart.

Does anyone else have issues with Firewire drives like this? I'd attribute it to a single drive failure or something, but the fact that it has happened on more than one computer with two different Firewire drives leaves me to believe that it is a bug in Firewire handling in 10.5.2.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2008, 05:39 PM

I have just been playing with a DV camera with my new MacPro and I think there may be Firewire issues as well. I had no problems with my old PowerMac or with my MacBook Pro but the MacPro refuses to see the camera and causes System Profiler to hang on the Firewire pane. Trying to use this with FInal Cut Express even caused a kernel panic.

I have not seen HD issues like you but I have only used my external FW HDD briefly with this computer and not with Time Machine.

ringos
Apr 26, 2008, 03:42 PM

I'm having similar issues with 2 Fantom Drive FW 800 hds. locks up the system, and requires hard reset to get back with the drives plugged in, but will not go through the boot process. Unplugging them frees up the system. Still looking into this issue, but so far, no solution.

ringos
Apr 26, 2008, 03:43 PM

forgot to add my problem is on an Alu 24" 2.5GHz imac, 10.5.2

http://forums.macnn.com/57/consumer-...-external-hds/

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2008, 05:28 PM

As this seems a problem on some new models has anyone discussed this with AppleCare? I was intending to call them. I wondered if this was a known issue.

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2008, 05:20 PM

Try screwing around with the order of the drives in the daisy chain. I know it sounds weird, but occasionally I have issues that are almost like the old SCSI termination problems, where you had to make sure your drives were connected in just the right order and through just the right port.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2008, 03:07 AM

This happens to me when I have nothing else plugged into a Firewire port. I can't blame this for the weird behaviour.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2008, 04:30 PM

Just checked my FireWire problems since I installed 10.5.3. No problem at all now. Looks like they fixed it, whatever it was.

Forum Links
Forum Rules