Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Would I regret changing from an iMac to a MacBook?

Would I regret changing from an iMac to a MacBook?
WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2009, 05:13 AM

I'm toying with the idea of passing my late 2006 2ghz C2D iMac 17" (3gb/250gb) to my son and replacing it with the current model white MacBook. 90% of the time it would be on a desk attached to an external LCD via DVI running as extended desktop.

The iMac is still fine when it comes to speed, I have no issues at all. Would the stock white 2.13ghz MacBook with it's 5400rpm drive be noticeably slower do you think (I'd up the RAM to 4gb)? If it was would putting a 7200rpm drive in bring it on a par with the iMac?

Main use is web and photography (iPhoto and light Photoshop use).

Any comments much appreciated!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2009, 05:28 AM

The MB with a fast disk and enough RAM won't be slower at what you do. But it won't feel a whole lot faster either. Personally, I prefer a MBP plus large external screen over the iMac.

This is a really fast notebook HDD. It's a 500GB 7200rpm disk. Newegg has it for $115. Unless you get an SSD, this is the fastest drive you can put in your MB.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2009, 05:34 AM

Thanks for the tip. The reason I'm keen on the MacBook is because here in the UK they're £649 refurb from Apple. As much as I love Macs I still baulk at the cost of a new one!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2009, 01:02 PM

You'll like it. I've got a MBP set up this way - usually, it's at a desk attached to an external LCD screen, which gives me a great dual monitor setup. But it's absolutely wonderful to be able to disconnect the MBP from that and take it with me when I need to.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2009, 01:08 PM

I think you'll be fine. I have the original iMac CD and the last black MacBook model, and the only time I notice a difference is the iMac runs out of RAM earlier and on the MacBook the integrated graphics causes the CPU to clock high (then inciting the fans) when using coverflow.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Sep 16, 2009 at 01:16 PM. )

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2009, 07:46 AM

Thanks guys. Having read new rumours about new MacBook and iMac upgrades being imminent I might just wait a month and see what happens, if anything.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2009, 08:24 AM

Not to derail the thread, but I noticed your name, WOPR. I love it. I knew instantly what movie it came from. Since you sound like you are around my age, here's one for you: JAFO.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2009, 07:16 PM

I moved from a 15" iMac to a 15" PowerBook to a 13" MacBook. No problems. The PB and MacBook have the same resolutions.

Go with the unibody MacBook, though. The white MacBook is soon to be updated, probably with the no-button trackpad. And the unibody is worth every penny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules