Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Noobs way of burning two .Mov files to DVD Software? *No iDVD on new Mac Solution*

Noobs way of burning two .Mov files to DVD Software? *No iDVD on new Mac Solution*
kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2012, 07:41 PM

Hi all, I have a friend who needs help with this and I don't have a solution for him, can anyone help?

Hi,

Having discovered iLife is no longer included on pre-installed Macs, I'm having to look for a quick fix solution and having a real headache.

I've downloaded two video files from my camcorder - .mov files - and now wish to burn them to a DVD.

I need a solution to this as it is one of the sole reasons that I purchased a Mac.

Please help!

Thanks.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Cold Warrior
Mar 15, 2012, 07:57 PM

It should be included preinstalled on new Macs. Apple - iMac - Comes with software you’ll love to use.

If it wasn't included, he should have received some reinstallation media.

If not, I'd call Apple and I bet they'd ship him discs right away.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
It should be included preinstalled on new Macs. Apple - iMac - Comes with software you’ll love to use.

If it wasn't included, he should have received some reinstallation media.

If not, I'd call Apple and I bet they'd ship him discs right away.
Okay, he's said that he's going to call his local branch.

According to complaints online, iDVD and iWeb no longer come with Lion. It's been removed.

We were trying to find alternative software, but we can't seem to find any. Although we can find iLife discs on eBay… it seems pretty shameful that I recommended that he get a Mac and even hte Apple Genius said to get one after he told him what he'd use it for… so hopefully you're right and Apple will send him one.

Thanks…

If not, is there an alternative software that does this? I've seen ISO Burn and some other DVD Creators on the Mac AppStore, but none seem to have favourable reviews.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

ibook_steve
Mar 16, 2012, 04:19 AM

If you're trying to create something that will play in a DVD player, Roxio Toast is usually the way to go.

If you're just burning the .mov to disk to play in a computer, you can just use the Finder's burning capabilities (put in the blank disk, copy the files to the disk, then eject the disk to have it get burned).

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2012, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
If you're trying to create something that will play in a DVD player, Roxio Toast is usually the way to go.

If you're just burning the .mov to disk to play in a computer, you can just use the Finder's burning capabilities (put in the blank disk, copy the files to the disk, then eject the disk to have it get burned).

Steve
Thanks Steve, I've passed this on to him. I think he's going to get Roxio. He likes to make holiday videos when he goes away with friends and so he gives everyone a DVD of it. but it's most important as evidence for what he does for a living means he needs to send on DVDs to co-workers.

I'm tempted to buy it as well. Can I burn a DVD that I've bought so I can watch it on my iPad? Or are all purchased DVDs copyright protected?

Thanks again. As always.

iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Forum Links
Forum Rules