Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Louder Powerbook Speakers?

Louder Powerbook Speakers?
Colin Davis
Aug 14, 2003, 11:51 PM

Has anyone ever tried to replace the current 15" Powerbook speakers with a louder speaker?

As it is, it's absurdly quiet.. Barely usable standalone. I could pump more power through it, even giving them their own speaker, but I'm not sure if anyone has attempted such a project before..

I've found that in iTunes, if I turn the Equalizer to have Maximum amplification, and turn everything up, there is distortion, but it is almost loud enough. Is there a way to do this system wide?

Colin
--
This message brought to you by Colin Davis, his ISP, and the letter G

Crimson
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2003, 07:05 AM

the speaker in itself does not contribute to the amount of volume... check your system preferences about volume... it could be turned down...

Colin Davis  (op)
Aug 17, 2003, 01:24 AM

No, it's not turned down in the system panel. I keep it listed on the menubar, and it is as loud as it will go. But still too darn quiet.

My theory is, and, admittedly, I do not know much about speakers, but I should be able to buy a signal amplifier, and then take the feed from the speakers on the motherboard. From there, I could feed it into a more powerful set of speakers, that don't distort when I run more power through them then the standard for the PB...

Thoughts?
Colin
--
This message brought to you by Colin Davis, his ISP, and the letter G

Crimson
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2003, 02:06 PM

if you have a headphone output in that book, you can use it with a cable that has small connector on one end and 2*RCA connectors on the other... that's how my G4 is connected to amplifier... also, you will be better off if you set the volume to about 1/2-3/4 of the range on mac when using the amplifier, this way the signal level should be less than what it can take...

DMC

Forum Links
Forum Rules