Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hard drive compatibility in iMac G3s for data recovery

Hard drive compatibility in iMac G3s for data recovery
cloohoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2014, 08:59 PM

Hi,
I have an old iMac 400MHz slot-loading G3 model #M5521 that won't power up (think it's a dead power supply), and I'm trying to get the data off my hard drive. I also happen to have a 333MHz tray-loading G3 model #M4984 and am wondering if I can put the HD from the 400MHz into the 333MHz, just to use to boot up and back up my data onto a flash drive.

Here are the specs:
iMac #1 (the one with all my data on it): 400MHz slot-loading G3, Model #M5521, 20.4GB hard drive (may not be the original HD - think it originally came with a 13GB), 320MB memory (256 and 64 cards), dvd drive, serial #RN9445BXHCW, and is running OS 10.3.9. The hard drive says on it: Maxtor HD model # 92049U3, 20.4GB, manufactured 15 July 2000.

iMac #2: 333MHz tray-loading G3, Model #M4984, 6GB hard drive, 288MB memory, CD drive, serial #XB9361VUGSQ, and is running OS 9.2.2.

The questions we have are whether the 400MHZ iMac hard drive can be put into the 333MHz iMac and, if so, whether it would be able to boot/run it given it is running OS 10.3.9. We are trying to do this ourselves, as we are money-limited, and my husband is capable of changing the hard drives, however the 333MHz iMac is the only other machine/method we have to use to try to recover the data. Any info you could provide on the compatibility of the two hard drives/iMacs would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot, Cindi

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Dec 18, 2014, 11:17 PM

Should be fine, but there may be a firmware update you may have missed on iMac #2.

That may be the only sticking point. If you can beg, borrow, or steal an external IDE/ATA hard drive case, that's a way better option than this drive transplant.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 19, 2014, 02:16 AM

Here's a $15 IDE to USB 2 enclosure from newegg.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2014, 06:52 AM

That drive should boot the older iMac as long as the OS isn't too new. Pity it won't do firewire disk mode.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

cloohoo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2014, 01:43 AM

Thanks a lot - I appreciate the info and link.

cloohoo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2014, 10:55 PM

Question -- I read somewhere that there might be a limit on the size of the hard drive that the 333MHz iMac could handle (maybe a limit of 8GB?). Does anyone know if that is true or would be a problem? Thanks.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Dec 21, 2014, 12:05 AM

127GB of any size PATA drive will be seen. The 333 iMac lacks LBA48 support.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 21, 2014, 12:50 AM

Mike's right, PATA drives up to 128 GB will work. With bigger drives, that iMac will see the first 128 GB. We have a more detailed discussion here.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2014, 11:10 AM

I think thats also the case with the slot loader. Mactracker used to carry this info but it seems they have removed it from later versions.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Dec 21, 2014, 12:03 PM

Correct, the slot loaders do not support drives over 128 GB. Officially even the first flat panels do not support drives over 128 GB, however it does actually work if you're running 10.2 or greater.

Mactracker still lists this sort of information
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2014, 06:09 AM

My app doesn't appear to have the entries for "Large drive support". I'm sure thats how they used to label it. Not that it comes up much these days.

Forum Links
Forum Rules