Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Should I Go On Vacation?

View Poll Results: Should I go?
Poll Options:
Try and dive anyways. 5 votes (38.46%)
Go and do something else. 7 votes (53.85%)
Stay home and watch TV. 1 votes (7.69%)
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll
Should I Go On Vacation?
JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2007, 08:48 PM

So I planned this fun, birthday diving trip, for myself to Okinawa this weekend. I'll be flying out Friday and coming back Tuesday. It'll just be me doing diving for three and a half days. Tickets have been bought, hotels reserved, hopes are high.

But now it seems that a good sized typhoon is coming this weekend. My dive shop in Okinawa said that if the wind is too rough that the boat won't run to the island I'm going to. Or my plane might be canceled. Or I might not even be able to go diving.

So I kind of hope that my flight gets canceled so I have a nice big refund of my $300 ticket. An easy out.

But heres my question for you: If my flight isn't canceled, but the typhoon is clearly going to hit hard this weekend, should I go to Okinawa anyways (by myself) or should I lose money on the ticket and stay home (saving me the expenses of going to Okinawa.)?

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2007, 08:52 PM

I voted for go and do something else, because the weather could change and you may get a chance to dive anyway, or simply get some r'n'r.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2007, 09:18 PM

Go as long you think you'll have some place to go/stay if the typhoon does hit. Believe me, I'm in the heart of the Gulf's hurricane alley, and in a matter of hours, things can change and where once a Cat 5 was going to wipe you off the earth, you now have blue skies with not a drop of rain.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

SebKom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2007, 09:29 PM

Yeah, go for it, hope dies last anyways!
Who Dares, Wins!

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2007, 07:10 AM

Ok, hope is now dead. Went to my local dive shop and spend some time looking at weather maps. Maybe I could go diving one day of the 5. Not worth it. I'll save money and do something else.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2007, 07:32 AM

Well if its the island, you'll be trapped in the hotel presumably without electricity. You may also be huddled in the cellar or a central room with other guests not in your own room or bed.

I've seen enough news film about travelers stuck in a hotel to scare me aware.

Since I'm on the other side of the planet I've not followed the weather patterns but if there was a decent chance of the typhoon making land fall. I'd avoid it if at all possible.

give the airline a call and see if they'll reissue the tickets for another time. The wife and I were going to Florida last year but a personal matter arose and we were able to go. We called the airline and they gave us a credit that we had to use within a year. Still better then eating the cost of the tickets. Its worth calling.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2007, 01:39 PM

My limited knowledge and experience of Japan suggests that good-sized typhoons nearly always coincide with Godzilla attacks, so if I were you I would try to get out of Japan while I still could.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2007, 02:19 PM

Drive in the opposite direction.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Forum Links
Forum Rules