Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 5F26 Info (let's hear it)

5F26 Info (let's hear it)
kneissl
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2001, 10:24 AM

I've seen 5F26 floating around, unfortunately i'm on a modem. Anyone tried it yet? Comments, reviews.. lets hear it!

-=-=Ad Astra Per Aspera=-=-

<X-Man>
Aug 6, 2001, 04:38 PM

I've seen 5F26 floating around on Carracho.

<dev>
Aug 6, 2001, 05:38 PM

f26 has been floating around for awhile but you'll notice it's been slow to spread. Why?? This month Apple actually seeded an OSX build in the ADC mailing! I can only hope developers are trying to send a signal to Apple, seed us software so we spend our time developing instead of distributing it to the community.

I'm sure given time it will leak, they always do at some point.

AirSluf
Senior User
Aug 6, 2001, 08:01 PM

Not everyone's mailing...

Nitzer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2001, 10:29 AM

Not in our mailing either.

<premier>
Aug 7, 2001, 10:48 AM

Not ours either, and we're ADC Premier. That's real f*cking nice Apple. Thanks a lot.

<5f26 user>
Aug 7, 2001, 05:43 PM

hhhmm hope this post can be of some help to others..

lets see.. got my hands on a copy of f26 yesterday evening and spent a full four hours installing it on my G4 450 MP.

it did give me problems from the start. I have two HDs with 6 parts between them, including a dedicated X partition. No extra USB or FW plugged in, No SCSi, Stock Rage 128 card.

First install was just straight off the disc but without a wipe due to other data on the part.

The installer got about 95% through the install and once it entered the BSD installer it gave me an 'Installer failed error, failed to write files please try again.'

So I rebooted and this time zerod the disc. 95% done and same error.

I asked someone they recommended trying without the BSD. This time the installer worked. But on restart there was massive kernal failure, right over the happy mac screen

So I tried to replace the BSD and did a fourth install with languages and printers off and BSD on.

Nope. Still kernal panic.

I tried about 10 more things, moving copies of 9.1 and 9.2 to the same part as the X, installing 10.04 on a diff part so as to view the f26 files, flashing PRAM about 5 times, booting into Open Firmware in an attempt to disable the 2nd processor (which wasnt done!!!) and I finally gave up and went to sleep.

This morning I sat back down and tried again.

I heard a report from someone with the same image as me that they had the same probs on a PBG4 with an external FW HD. not that FW may be supported.. I was starting to think it may be the build is too iffy

But then I heard a few more reports trickle in of people getting it to work and one on a 500MP..

A little chatting later and I tried to remove the System/Library from 10.04 and install f26 over that.. man pretty much every VooDoo trick there is..

So just about to give up when someone suggests that it may need to be in the front part of the HD.
I currently had it in the last 10 gig part of a 40 gig HD. this is the same place I had run all the F builds from, f7, f24 and couldnt understand why but seeing as f24 had massive kernal failure upon loading classic and 9.X is in the FIRST 10 gig part..

The first part on the Master HD had no room to stick the 1 gig f26 data so i figured before making room I would try it on the first part of the Slave HD, a 30 gig with 2 15 gig parts.

This part has not had any version of X installed on it and since it had 10 gigs already on it, I did not do a zero install.

Before I installed here I tried one last bit of VooDoo. I shut down and unplugged my G4 from the wall for 5 minutes.

I started up from CD by holding C. In the installer I selected no printer options and no extra language kits and went for it.

The installer ran without a hitch and booted fine!

I havent messed around much, but have loaded Classic, which runs great BTW and logged in here to file my report..

To sum this up. First part. save time.

Im gonna dig around now and see what else there is to offer.

I'll post more when I know it..

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2001, 06:35 PM

This is a bit of a side note but I have to chuckle to myself everytime I hear someone mention they've partitioned their drives to three or more partitions per drive. I'd understand if someone had no choice because each partion needed a different filesystem, but X and 9 (and all the variations) all use HFS+.

Let it be known I've had X and 9 installed on the same partition (gasp!) forever and never once have I had a single problem with it this way. I do have a small second partition on my drive, but I only use that to store documents, MP3's and prefs in the event I ever want to wipe my system partition and reinstall. This method is quick, easy and keeps everything very vanilla so OS data from one partition doesn't infect another.

In my opinion, all this work to keep your drives split into so many partitons, one for each version of the MacOS, is just a waist of time and according to this last post can actually lead to more trouble than it helps. Then again, I do tend to think differently than the typical Mac user.

Aussie John
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2001, 06:36 PM

well I have to admire the perseverence and thank the god of computers (I forget its name) for other ppl to try these things.
John

crayz
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2001, 06:53 PM

Can I just ask if you have a burn a CD to install this, or can just do it from the disk image? I have a nice fast cable modem, but no CD burner
"You have violated the spelling of the DMCA and will be jailed with the Village People."

hypercool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2001, 11:02 PM

in my opinion, all this work to keep your drives split into so many partitons, one for each version of the MacOS, is just a waist of time
I hate partitioning too, have always been against it, but am forced to use it in X. That thing about OSX having to reside in the first 8GB on some Macs means that the partition it's on has to be entirely inside the first 8GB - ie, you must partition your drive if it's bigger than 8GB. It really pissed me off when I got my nice 20GB powerbook drive and have to live inside these tiny partitions. Since this partitioning requirement stuff seems different in 5F26, maybe I'll no longer have to partition in 10.1? Someone test it on an older Powerbook/Beige G3?

<Vide>
Aug 8, 2001, 01:00 AM

F26 report.

I am running F26 - and so far it doesn't seem that different to F24.

Only things I have noticed so far:

Displays Menu Extra works on the Menu Bar.
Maybe a little more stability - maybe.
Sleep seems a little better - but still no good.

Can tell any speed difference - if anything app launching might even be a fraction slower?

ARENA
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2001, 01:24 AM

Sleep seems a little better - but still no good.
IS it actually working?! I have 5F24 in my Pismo, and the sleep problema is the only thing that stops me from using it as my main OS.
When I set my PowerBook to sleep, it just turn off the screen, but the computer keeps working (obviously, the disk keeps spinning so i can�t move my PB) and then is no way to turn the display on again

How is sleep in 5F26? ...Anyone with info about thins issue from newer build like the 5Gxx series?

Magnifico
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2001, 02:38 AM

Anybody try to connect thru browsers or mail clients via PPPoE? 5F24 couldn't do it.

<Vide>
Aug 8, 2001, 04:40 AM

on some occaisons (and I don't know why) - my Ti Book has gone to sleep succesfully in F26, and woken up again fine. But most of the the time it sucks.

As for PPoE - I use PPoE, but through an Airport - so this problem doesnt affect me and didn't in F24 either.

After a full day of use today - F26 seems more stable than F24.

DasDaSein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2001, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by Magnifico:
<STRONG>Anybody try to connect thru browsers or mail clients via PPPoE? 5F24 couldn't do it.</STRONG>
PPPoE works in F24 but takes way looong until connection is established - have to klick bookmarks several times until it's done.
Sometimes the PPPoE menue bar extra is faster on this.

<registered>
Aug 8, 2001, 06:57 AM

It's incredible how many hours this poor guy spent installing f26, while it would have worked perfectly if he had followed the instructions on the letter that was with the f26 CD.

Oh, no letter?

How wierd!

Synotic
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2001, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by &lt;registered&gt;:
<STRONG>It's incredible how many hours this poor guy spent installing f26, while it would have worked perfectly if he had followed the instructions on the letter that was with the f26 CD.

Oh, no letter?

How weird!
</STRONG>
wtf is it with these sarcastic posts? I mean we all know where it came from.

rogerkylin
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2001, 08:08 AM

I'm sure this has been covered on the previous partitioning threads, but I think one of the big pluses to partitioning is if one partition goes bad, the others are still in tact. It is a way to protect data.

macmicke
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2001, 08:59 AM

Question: Does Carracho function under 5f26. In 5f24 it states that the version has expired, although it is the latest version. Nothing that surprised me, but it would be nice if it worked

Is it beyond doubt a "real" 5f26? I mean, with small hardly noticable changes, could not a "false" 5f24 appear as 5f26. I heard about a 5f51 which turned out to be a 5f24. Is there some way of checking this?

Since I read about the sleep problem (5f24) I have avoided putting my PB G3 to sleep. However, I accidently put it to sleep a few times. And I have yet to experience problems. Maybe its related to what kind of computer you are using, just a thought.
The real MacMicke�

mattyd
Senior User
Aug 8, 2001, 10:00 AM

to thoe of you using 5f24 or 5f26 on a portable...

how is battery life? any improvement over 10.0.4.

one of my gripes with os x is that it gets about half the battery life on my pb g4 400 as i get under os 9.

<kanglloo>
Aug 8, 2001, 11:21 AM

When you test a new build, please ALWAYS open up a terminal, and type uname -a, top, uptime, sum /machkernel, etc and give us the output first
we'll know if it seems a real FXX for example, and if some problems have been fixed about some things like the cpu top (and all the apps) takes (far too high, if you boot un single user mode, top takes less than 1%)[/LIST]

<kanglloo>
Aug 8, 2001, 11:29 AM

When you test a new build, please ALWAYS open up a terminal, and type uname -a, top, uptime, sum /machkernel, etc and give us the output first
we'll know if it seems a real FXX for example, and if some problems have been fixed about some things like the cpu top (and all the apps) takes (far too high, if you boot un single user mode, top takes less than 1%)[/LIST]

<X-Man>
Aug 9, 2001, 09:00 PM

Just thought I would bring this subject back up to the top of the list. Anyone else have info on this unpopular build??.... :o

Scrod
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2001, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by &lt;kanglloo&gt;:
<STRONG>When you test a new build, please ALWAYS open up a terminal, and type uname -a, top, uptime, sum /machkernel, etc and give us the output first
we'll know if it seems a real FXX for example, and if some problems have been fixed about some things like the cpu top (and all the apps) takes (far too high, if you boot un single user mode, top takes less than 1%)[/LIST]</STRONG>
Think about how top works for a moment. In order for it to report on all running processes, it has to get information about EACH ONE. When you're in single user mode, you'll almost never have more than 2 to 3 actual processes running at any one time. Now take a look at how many you're running right NOW:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier> <font color = blue>334</font> top <font color = blue>10.8</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.64</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>19</font> <font color = blue>14</font> 196K 224K 420K <font color = blue>1.</font>31M
<font color = blue>298</font> Netscape <font color = blue>6</font> <font color = blue>21.0</font>% <font color = blue>3</font>:<font color = blue>05.40</font> <font color = blue>7</font> <font color = blue>97</font> <font color = blue>341</font> <font color = blue>54.</font>7M <font color = blue>31.</font>1M <font color = blue>60.</font>0M 125M
<font color = blue>295</font> Mail <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>11.83</font> <font color = blue>9</font> <font color = blue>132</font> <font color = blue>115</font> <font color = blue>6.</font>69M <font color = blue>12.</font>0M <font color = blue>14.</font>2M <font color = blue>60.</font>2M
<font color = blue>278</font> xFiles <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>01.04</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>60</font> <font color = blue>42</font> <font color = blue>1.</font>45M <font color = blue>5.</font>25M <font color = blue>2.</font>95M <font color = blue>47.</font>0M
<font color = blue>272</font> tcsh <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.14</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>17</font> <font color = blue>15</font> 308K 460K 756K <font color = blue>5.</font>59M
<font color = blue>271</font> netstat <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.48</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>18</font> <font color = blue>14</font> 60K 232K 252K <font color = blue>1.</font>30M
<font color = blue>268</font> DocklingSe <font color = blue>2.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>09.61</font> <font color = blue>3</font> <font color = blue>78</font> <font color = blue>97</font> <font color = blue>1.</font>86M <font color = blue>5.</font>86M <font color = blue>3.</font>59M <font color = blue>49.</font>9M
<font color = blue>266</font> Terminal <font color = blue>6.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>07.93</font> <font color = blue>4</font> <font color = blue>76</font> <font color = blue>59</font> <font color = blue>2.</font>17M+ <font color = blue>7.</font>65M+ <font color = blue>5.</font>98M+ <font color = blue>51.</font>3M
<font color = blue>265</font> DisplaySer <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.55</font> <font color = blue>2</font> <font color = blue>51</font> <font color = blue>46</font> 552K <font color = blue>4.</font>06M <font color = blue>1.</font>37M <font color = blue>24.</font>1M
<font color = blue>264</font> Dock <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>04.15</font> <font color = blue>3</font> <font color = blue>114</font> <font color = blue>92</font> <font color = blue>5.</font>14M <font color = blue>6.</font>61M <font color = blue>7.</font>22M <font color = blue>49.</font>4M
<font color = blue>263</font> Finder <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>09.08</font> <font color = blue>3</font> <font color = blue>85</font> <font color = blue>110</font> <font color = blue>7.</font>48M <font color = blue>11.</font>9M <font color = blue>13.</font>8M <font color = blue>66.</font>6M
<font color = blue>262</font> pbs <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>07.27</font> <font color = blue>3</font> <font color = blue>94</font> <font color = blue>62</font> <font color = blue>2.</font>41M <font color = blue>2.</font>57M <font color = blue>4.</font>96M <font color = blue>18.</font>7M
<font color = blue>259</font> sshd <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.37</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>10</font> <font color = blue>15</font> 196K 308K 344K <font color = blue>1.</font>48M
<font color = blue>258</font> slpd <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.23</font> <font color = blue>7</font> <font color = blue>28</font> <font color = blue>25</font> 120K 344K 448K <font color = blue>4.</font>46M
<font color = blue>236</font> loginwindo <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>02.24</font> <font color = blue>2</font> <font color = blue>94</font> <font color = blue>66</font> <font color = blue>1.</font>29M <font color = blue>4.</font>23M <font color = blue>3.</font>07M <font color = blue>45.</font>2M
<font color = blue>233</font> cron <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.00</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>10</font> <font color = blue>14</font> 96K 220K 148K+ <font color = blue>1.</font>50M
<font color = blue>227</font> SecuritySe <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.20</font> <font color = blue>2</font> <font color = blue>30</font> <font color = blue>27</font> 536K <font color = blue>1.</font>03M <font color = blue>1.</font>54M <font color = blue>4.</font>68M
<font color = blue>215</font> automount <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.01</font> <font color = blue>2</font> <font color = blue>12</font> <font color = blue>18</font> 216K 284K 320K <font color = blue>2.</font>21M
<font color = blue>207</font> DirectoryS <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.91</font> <font color = blue>3</font> <font color = blue>37</font> <font color = blue>48</font> 736K 824K <font color = blue>1.</font>46M <font color = blue>4.</font>32M
<font color = blue>201</font> nfsiod <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.00</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>10</font> <font color = blue>12</font> 20K 212K 68K <font color = blue>1.</font>22M
<font color = blue>200</font> nfsiod <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.00</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>10</font> <font color = blue>12</font> 20K 212K 68K <font color = blue>1.</font>22M
<font color = blue>199</font> nfsiod <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.01</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>10</font> <font color = blue>12</font> 20K 212K 68K <font color = blue>1.</font>22M
<font color = blue>198</font> nfsiod <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.00</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>10</font> <font color = blue>12</font> 20K 212K 68K <font color = blue>1.</font>22M
<font color = blue>189</font> inetd <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.00</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>10</font> <font color = blue>13</font> 76K 204K 112K <font color = blue>1.</font>23M
<font color = blue>184</font> DesktopDB <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.01</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>16</font> <font color = blue>16</font> 252K 236K 260K <font color = blue>1.</font>65M
<font color = blue>179</font> AppleFileS <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>04.09</font> <font color = blue>13</font> <font color = blue>120</font> <font color = blue>48</font> 668K 760K <font color = blue>1.</font>48M <font color = blue>9.</font>58M
<font color = blue>172</font> ntpd <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.13</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>10</font> <font color = blue>15</font> 96K 352K 288K <font color = blue>1.</font>49M
<font color = blue>163</font> lookupd <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.48</font> <font color = blue>2</font> <font color = blue>28</font> <font color = blue>21</font> 344K 392K 572K <font color = blue>2.</font>36M
<font color = blue>156</font> netinfod <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.16</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>16</font> <font color = blue>15</font> 212K 292K 468K <font color = blue>1.</font>59M
<font color = blue>155</font> nibindd <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.02</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>9</font> <font color = blue>13</font> 68K 212K 144K <font color = blue>1.</font>26M
<font color = blue>152</font> portmap <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.03</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>9</font> <font color = blue>13</font> 72K 196K 112K <font color = blue>1.</font>22M
<font color = blue>148</font> syslogd <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.07</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>9</font> <font color = blue>13</font> 84K 204K 136K <font color = blue>1.</font>23M
<font color = blue>112</font> ipconfigd <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.01</font> <font color = blue>2</font> <font color = blue>18</font> <font color = blue>14</font> 88K 280K 228K <font color = blue>1.</font>42M
<font color = blue>103</font> configd <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.66</font> <font color = blue>4</font> <font color = blue>66</font> <font color = blue>90</font> 452K 596K <font color = blue>1.</font>07M <font color = blue>3.</font>29M
<font color = blue>83</font> autodiskmo <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.24</font> <font color = blue>2</font> <font color = blue>41</font> <font color = blue>16</font> 172K 284K 288K <font color = blue>1.</font>95M
<font color = blue>61</font> dynamic_pa <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.00</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>10</font> <font color = blue>15</font> 56K 196K 72K <font color = blue>1.</font>24M
<font color = blue>58</font> update <font color = blue>0.0</font>% <font color = blue>0</font>:<font color = blue>00.66</font> <font color = blue>1</font> <font color = blue>9</font> <font color = blue>13</font> 56K 192K 80K <font color = blue>1.</font>22M
<font color = blue>56</font> Window Man <font color = blue>7.4</font>% <font color = blue>1</font>:<font color = blue>01.61</font> <font color = blue>2</font> <font color = blue>121</font> <font color = blue>210</font> <font color = blue>2.</font>11M <font color = blue>15.</font>4M <font color = blue>17.</font>5M <font color = blue>33.</font>4M
</font>[/code]

Gee, I wonder why top uses so much more CPU time now? Hmmmmm.
I abused my signature until she cried.

iDude666
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2001, 12:28 AM

Anybody try to connect thru browsers or mail clients via PPPoE? 5F24 couldn't do it.
i have something weird too. i can connect, but the browsers and mail can't see it's connected.

dbogdan
Aug 10, 2001, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by iDude666:
<STRONG>

i have something weird too. i can connect, but the browsers and mail can't see it's connected.</STRONG>
Wow! At last someone else has the same experience as me with 5F24... I though maybe it was my configuration (Summer Y2K iMac DVSE w/512MG of RAM, 30G Internal; 80G External FW Drive)... Everything looks like it connects just fine, but my browser, mail app, Carracho, etc. simply refuse to acknowledge that the connection has been made... I feel much better now, cuz I was thinking I was alone in this respect, but now that I've seen other people have experienced the same issue, I guess I can rule out a random configuration issue. I've got a DSL connection using an Earthlink-supplied Alcatel SpeedTouch Modem over Ethernet, set up exactly as it is in 10.0.4, but somehow things just don't work... oh well, otherwise, I'm delighted with the speed and refinements of 10.1...

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2001, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by ckohler:
<STRONG>
Let it be known I've had X and 9 installed on the same partition (gasp!) forever and never once have I had a single problem with it this way. I do have a small second partition on my drive, but I only use that to store documents, MP3's and prefs in the event I ever want to wipe my system partition and reinstall. This method is quick, easy and keeps everything very vanilla so OS data from one partition doesn't infect another.

In my opinion, all this work to keep your drives split into so many partitons, one for each version of the MacOS, is just a waist of time and according to this last post can actually lead to more trouble than it helps. Then again, I do tend to think differently than the typical Mac user.

</STRONG>
Well, I've had the opposite experience to you. X swallowed a partition and then spat it out. I'd done a reasonably recent back up, but if it weren't for the fact that my OS 9 partition was still running fine the whole experience would have been a hell of a lot more grief.

I'm of the opinion you should keep the two firmly separated.

-- james

SYN
Senior User
Aug 10, 2001, 04:54 AM

179 AppleFileS 0.0% 0:04.09 13 120 48 668K 760K 1.48M 9.58M
WTF?
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2001, 05:10 AM

Originally posted by SYN:
<STRONG>

WTF?</STRONG>
Apple File Sharing? (or is there something spectacular about that line that I'm missing?

<Bengt J�rgensen>
Aug 10, 2001, 05:12 AM

Got my hand on a 5F26, but when trying to install, it claimed that I didn't have 9.1 on my system - though I have Z1-9.1 (which came in the OS X package) on the same (and only) partition as OS X 10.0.4. I didn't dare to overwrite 10.0.4 under these circumstances, as I need classic.
Anyone else had this problem? And, if so, have you had success installing anyway?

Bengt

macmicke
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2001, 05:56 AM

Z-versions is international versions. All beta seeds are US american versions. You can install US X on top on any version of OS 9 but it will not work as classic. The installer just warns you of this fact..

Now how about some confirmation on 5f26 really being a newer build and not a "hacked" 5f24???
This thread went awfully silent after this question...

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: macmicke ]
The real MacMicke�

SYN
Senior User
Aug 10, 2001, 06:39 AM

Apple File Sharing? (or is there something spectacular about that line that I'm missing?
Nah, I'm just stupid . Didn't see it in my top and was still wishing Apple would enhance HFS+, I saw Apple File System
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2001, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by macmicke:
<STRONG>Z-versions is international versions. All beta seeds are US american versions. You can install US X on top on any version of OS 9 but it will not work as classic. The installer just warns you of this fact..
</STRONG>
Isn't there a way to work around this? I have been able to use my Danish version of OS 9.1 on the international OS X by renaming/copying files - I just can't track down the instruction on how I did it (and can't remember it since it was in april).

Peter

<Vide>
Aug 10, 2001, 09:37 AM

I am in f 26 right now, and have been using it as my main OS for a week. Classic flies - but you need 9.2. I am in Australia - and have this set up as my location / language etc.

The installer is the original installer from 10.0 and the dialog boxes havn't been changed yet - so it asks for 9.1 not 9.2.

There are differences to f24 (albeit small ones) I doubt very much is is a hacked f24. For example - the login screen looks different, and I get a display menu control in f26, but not f24.

<M'Ashan>
Aug 10, 2001, 09:59 AM

The only thing that I can say about this f26 build is that's running on my G3. 5f24 didn't. f24 it took 1.5 hours to install and stopped then after the startup window. but this build installed in just 10min and works very nice for me. ok, I worked only 2 hours on it but in this time I hadn't any probs.

what's about a new login screen? I read somewhere that they got already a white login screen with the personal icons like os9/winxp. was that fake? f26 doesn't have this feature.. (sure you can use your icon, but it doesn't display it at the login)

mogura
Aug 10, 2001, 11:00 AM

what's about a new login screen? I read somewhere that they got already a white login screen with the personal icons like os9/winxp. was that fake? f26 doesn't have this feature.. (sure you can use your icon, but it doesn't display it at the login)
That login screen was in build 5F7 or 15. Can't remember exactly, but the build itself was unusable. Its not in the later builds, so maybe it was just a one-time deal.

Anyway, if anyone finds a way to get browsers to actually download web sites in 5F24 or 26 with PPPoE, please post them here!!!

Me thinks Apple has temporarly limited PPPoE's capability for these builds...since it took about 4 months for sw updater to work with my isp's PPPoE in 10.0.4.

<X-Man>
Aug 10, 2001, 03:56 PM

A DVD player that supposedly works on 5F26 is starting to leak. Also 5F27 is starting to spread also....

<nobody>
Aug 10, 2001, 08:16 PM

5F24:

Darwin localhost 1.4 Darwin Kernel Version 1.4: Fri Jul 13 16:14:02 PDT 2001; root:xnu/xnu-156.4.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

Looks like Darwin was revised from 1.3 to 1.4. Note the date!

<kanglloo>
Aug 10, 2001, 10:30 PM

hey Scrod
you said:
Gee, I wonder why top uses so much more CPU time now? Hmmmmm.
you wondered enought ?
ok let's power unleash.. here top from a "heavy" loaded box, running Linux Debian,kernel 2.2.18pre21, 32megs of ram, PPC601@120Mghz (8200/120)

-----

7:16am up 11 days, 49 min, 4 users, load average: 1.20, 0.98, 0.65
53 processes: 49 sleeping, 4 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU states: 80.4% user, 19.1% system, 0.0% nice, 0.3% idle
Mem: 29760K av, 27132K used, 2628K free, 11540K shrd, 2712K buff
Swap: 98300K av, 6384K used, 91916K free 12004K cached

PID USER PRI NI SIZE RSS SHARE STAT LIB %CPU %MEM TIME COMMAND
31023 root 13 0 3188 3188 1480 R 0 36.8 10.7 0:00 cc1
30955 root 0 0 2044 2044 900 S 0 15.3 6.8 0:00 sh
30799 kang 8 0 1588 1588 828 R 0 3.6 5.3 0:01 top
31021 root 1 0 572 572 412 S 0 0.7 1.9 0:00 gcc
23053 root 0 0 572 452 160 R 0 0.5 1.5 0:01 sshd
17260 root 0 0 212 116 64 S 0 0.3 0.3 2:17 pppoed
17262 root 0 0 212 116 64 S 0 0.3 0.3 5:40 pppoed
22944 root 0 0 864 540 236 S 0 0.3 1.8 0:07 sshd
28962 root 0 0 920 920 596 S 0 0.1 3.0 0:00 make
1 root 0 0 168 72 56 S 0 0.0 0.2 0:02 init
2 root 0 0 0 0 0 SW 0 0.0 0.0 0:03 kflushd
3 root 0 0 0 0 0 SW 0 0.0 0.0 0:04 kupdate
4 root 0 0 0 0 0 SW 0 0.0 0.0 0:00 kpiod
5 root 0 0 0 0 0 SW 0 0.0 0.0 0:28 kswapd
6 root 0 0 0 0 0 SW 0 0.0 0.0 0:00 scsi_eh_0
97 root 0 0 232 0 0 SW 0 0.0 0.0 0:00 sshd
152 root 0 0 460 396 308 S 0 0.0 1.3 0:06 syslogd
154 root 0 0 636 172 136 S 0 0.0 0.5 0:01 klogd
161 root 0 0 172 0 0 SW 0 0.0 0.0 0:00 inetd
168 daemon 0 0 208 76 68 S 0 0.0 0.2 0:00 atd
171 root 10 0 332 192 168 S 0 0.0 0.6 0:01 cron
175 root 0 0 120 0 0 SW 0 0.0 0.0 0:00 getty
176 root 0 0 120 0 0 SW 0 0.0 0.0 0:00 getty
177 root 0 0 120 0 0 SW 0 0.0 0.0 0:00 getty
178 root 0 0 120 0 0 SW 0 0.0 0.0 0:00 getty
179 root 0 0 120 0 0 SW 0 0.0 0.0 0:00 getty
4489 root 0 0 312 124 84 S 0 0.0 0.4 0:06 pppd
----

as you can see the box is currently under HEAVY compiling. Tough top takes 3.6%. Heh. Think again about osx problems. ps: i didn't included all the process list because i didnt wanted to spam the forum, but as you can see there are 53 process.

Codename
Banned
Aug 10, 2001, 10:48 PM

Actually, the variable that really effects how much CPU % top itself takes is how frequently it updates.

For your own edification, try the following top variations in the terminal and see for yourself how much CPU % it consumes.

top -s.01

top -s1 &lt;----default

top -s2

top -s3

top -s5

top -s10

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Codename ]

Scrod
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2001, 12:52 AM

<STRONG>
as you can see the box is currently under HEAVY compiling. Tough top takes 3.6%. Heh. Think again about osx problems. ps: i didn't included all the process list because i didnt wanted to spam the forum, but as you can see there are 53 process.</STRONG>
So what exactly is your point? All you did was back up what I was saying: top uses more CPU time when there are more processes to query. (Oh, and by the way, the amount of CPU load has nothing to do with the amount of CPU that top uses; only the number of processes.) If you read my post you would see that I never said anything about OS X's specific implementation of top or whether or not it should use more or less CPU time than it currently does.
I abused my signature until she cried.

[email protected]
Senior User
Aug 11, 2001, 01:18 AM

synotic [err, i mean SYN] and spheric;

199 AppleFileS 0.0% 0:11.00 13 121 48 672K 784K 1.49M 9.58M

199 ?? S 0:11.00 AppleFileServer

is the real name...

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

JohnKentucky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2001, 02:36 AM

<STRONG>When you test a new build, please ALWAYS open up a terminal, and type uname -a, top, uptime, sum /machkernel, etc and give us the output first
we'll know if it seems a real FXX for example, and if some problems have been fixed about some things like the cpu top (and all the apps) takes (far too high, if you boot un single user mode, top takes less than 1%)[/LIST]</STRONG>
Processes: 38 total, 5 running, 33 sleeping... 152 threads 02:32:44
Load Avg: 2.81, 2.52, 2.15 CPU usage: 81.2% user, 14.5% sys, 4.2% idle
SharedLibs: num = 95, resident = 22.4M code, 1.55M data, 5.68M LinkEdit
MemRegions: num = 2870, resident = 76.5M + 7.14M private, 47.9M shared
PhysMem: 47.7M wired, 56.2M active, 218M inactive, 322M used, 190M free
VM: 1.57G + 42.5M 5863(0) pageins, 0(0) pageouts

PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VSIZE
308 top 5.4% 0:11.70 1 14 14 212K 308K 444K 1.36M
303 tcsh 0.0% 0:00.07 1 17 15 276K 572K 720K 5.59M
302 Terminal 17.5% 0:01.84 4 67 71 1.20M+ 6.50M 3.75M+ 79.3M+
295 TextEdit 0.0% 0:04.32 3 91 96 2.30M 6.20M 4.15M 79.6M
293 iTunes 13.9% 12:31.51 7 117 243 7.99M 12.4M 11.1M 91.8M
292 Mail 0.0% 0:04.49 8 124 124 4.52M 7.95M 7.67M 83.4M
291 Carracho S 0.0% 0:48.67 13 127 90 2.23M 7.04M 4.13M 82.2M
290 .OmniWeb 41.1% 7:19.42 41 205 529 25.8M+ 17.2M 35.7M+ 121M+
287 ircle_3.1b 2.4% 5:19.57 5 119 123 3.91M 9.46M 8.03M 85.4M
286 Fire 0.0% 0:45.92 2 71 148 6.06M 8.66M 10.4M 86.6M
285 SystemUISe 0.0% 0:01.51 2 112 93 1.15M 5.87M 2.70M 78.4M
266 Finder 0.0% 0:54.91 2 114 233 10.4M 13.8M 17.1M 94.6M
265 Dock 0.0% 0:11.72 3 134 113 6.36M 7.21M 7.86M 80.5M
264 pbs 0.0% 0:00.84 1 49 22 776K 580K 1.38M 18.2M
259 loginwindo 0.0% 0:00.79 4 127 99 1.54M 5.73M 3.04M 62.6M

Darwin Kernel Version 1.4: Wed Jul 18 12:19:49 PDT 2001; root:xnu/xnu-156.5.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerp

-----------------------
just installed this tonight.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2001, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by hypercool:
<STRONG>Since this partitioning requirement stuff seems different in 5F26, maybe I'll no longer have to partition in 10.1? Someone test it on an older Powerbook/Beige G3?</STRONG>
This is an Open Firmware limitation, and can't be fixed.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2001, 06:02 PM

As far as Darwin goes, well duh -- 1.1 in DP4, 1.2 in PB, 1.3 in 10.0, can you see a pattern emerging? Also, newer kernels in CVS report their version as Darwin 1.4.1 (.1 is always used to differentiate Darwin from OS X, it is not later).

<ae>
Aug 12, 2001, 07:07 AM

5f26 installed fine, yet when the setup assistant comes up, the movie plays and then, once you get to the place where you have to choose your country, it quits and relaunches. It keeps going in this loop and never stops HELP!

Forum Links
Forum Rules