Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > MacThemes.net Theme Mockup Contest

MacThemes.net Theme Mockup Contest
phillryu
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 01:29 AM

MacThemes.net is proud to announce a theme mockup contest starting on Monday, March 1st and ending on Monday, March 29th. (4 weeks.) The contest is intended to help stimulate the growing Mac GUI customization community. For anyone interested in entering, a blank slate PSD with guidelines and the needed elements are provided. Entries not following these guidelines will be disqualified. Only one entry is allowed per person, and mockup artists will be obliged to complete their mockups if selected winner.

Once the entries are in by March 29th, they will be posted on a special section of MacThemes the following day, where users will be able to view all mockups, comment, and rate with a 5 star system. User votes (out of a 100% scale) will count for half of a mockup's final score. A panel of MacThemes staff, themers, and GUI software developers will provide the final half of the score. The winners will be determined by this combined score, also out of 100%. Winners are expected to be announced at the end of a 5 day voting period, and scores will be displayed for every entry.

Prizes are the following:

Grand Prize
- $125
- A suite of GUI software (full list at http://www.macthemes.net/contest/prizes.html)
- Mockup realized into a theme by Max Rudberg (http://www.maxthemes.com)
- A MacThemes.net Insider Edition
- 1 Unsanity T-Shirt

2nd Place
- $50
- A suite of GUI software
- Mockup realized into a theme by Harlan Lewis (Latium)
- 1 Unsanity T-Shirt

3rd Place
- A suite of GUI software
- Mockup realized into a theme by Joe Kohlmann (Digital Device)
- 1 Unsanity T-Shirt

4th-6th Place
- A theme development software kit (full list at http://www.macthemes.net/contest/prizes.html)

So far, the response has been great. Max Rudberg, Harlan Lewis, and Joe Kohlmann have been kind enough to donate their time into realizing the top two mockups, and many artists and themers have shown great interest in submitting. Additionally, several GUI software developers have donated cash and software licenses for prizes worth a total of over a thousand dollars! We expect competition to fierce, and the resulting mockups (and themes) to be outstanding.

More information can be found at http://www.macthemes.net/contest/

- Phill

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 01:47 AM

I am so there.
click one

Sage
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 01:49 AM

Wholly cow, this is too cool. Much better than the Unsanity contest, since it's a mockup (though I imagine this will make it much more competitive too). I am so going to try this!

Well, that is, if I can affirm one thing... I don't have PS, but I do have Fireworks MX. Will it handle the PSDs properly?

[edit]: NM, Fireworks does process it, including the guides. Yay!
( Last edited by Sage; Mar 1, 2004 at 02:08 AM. )

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 03:08 AM

Very cool idea Phill

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 03:14 AM

Is this adam betts work? It is so perfectly fitting it's scary.

mac15
Senior User
Mar 1, 2004, 04:28 AM

Amazing concept guys, I think this will be the contest to end all contests! I'd say thats some of Adams work.

Best of luck to all who enter!

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by Weezer:
Is this adam betts work? It is so perfectly fitting it's scary.

Agreed.
And BTW, this contest is a very good idea phill
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2004, 05:04 AM

After finishing the cheese, I was a bit excited, so I started pushing my snow theme for sofa across, this is an initial screenie

yes it will change

http://homepage.mac.com/cube33/.Pict...indow-snow.png
( Last edited by cube3; Mar 1, 2004 at 05:56 AM. )

brn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2004, 05:07 AM

This thing sounds like great fun! I've allways wanted to create themes, but been to lazy to actually make them. We�ll see what I'll dig up for you

Butterfly Reality Network� loves SIRO.

mac15
Senior User
Mar 1, 2004, 06:18 AM

Looking good cube. The elements of the theme have a digital device quality to them

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 07:18 AM

It's good that everyone seems to be liking the idea (and itching to join!) Also, updated guidelines should be up today. Adam and I have developed a nasty habit of working last minute, and a couple items unfortunately did not make the cut.

dws
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2004, 12:16 PM

While this is an interesting concept, I see one huge pitfall. Saying that entries must be consistent with Aqua guidelines doesn't mean much to people who've never actually attempted to create a theme. It is almost inevitable that there will be many entries which will be impossible to implement; resulting in disqualification.

I would heartily recommend that anybody working up a mockup entry should download ThemePark; not to actually create a theme, but to see the resources in isolation. This will give people a better idea of what makes up the GUI.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by dws:
While this is an interesting concept, I see one huge pitfall. Saying that entries must be consistent with Aqua guidelines doesn't mean much to people who've never actually attempted to create a theme. It is almost inevitable that there will be many entries which will be impossible to implement; resulting in disqualification.
I brought this up to MacThemes a few days ago, but they seemed to be pretty confident of their ability to handle it. In fact they just sent me an email from someone with a rough mockup asking if what they wanted to do was possible, and I gave him an explanation of the way things worked. Which reminds me, if anyone has any questions, Max and WICKEDfour (Joe Kohlmann) and I aren't allowed to enter, so don't worry about any of us stealing your sweet idea if you're wondering if something is possible. Feel free to send me an email or a message over AIM... screenname is wiberwachi. I can't speak for the other guys, but they're probably just as open.

That said, I agree with you that people should take a look at ThemePark. It's intimidating at first, but if you look at it just one bit at a time and try to ignore the sheer number of things possible to edit you can learn a lot, and quickly too.
DigitalRamen sucks.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by dws:

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2004, 04:21 PM

love the concept.... really interested to see what it produces... but yes, the ability for the themes to actually be created is VERY important.
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 04:25 PM

Hang on, that's what our theme guidelines psd's are for They're there for three reasons: First, to show what elements are needed, second, to provide an example of what's possible and what's not, and third, to result in submissions that are pretty standardized for our ease of use processing them.

If a mockup is submitted on the 29th with outrageous elements, yes, it will be disqualified. Minor stretching will be tolerated, assuming that the mockup could be squeezed into a real theme, and questions can be asked to Harlan who has volunteered to help. Finally, should an entry have problems enough to be disqualified, I'll be sure to send out an email explaining why, and if there is enough time, the entry could be fixed up.

ambush
Banned
Mar 1, 2004, 05:00 PM

May I suggest an extended deadline?

Something like the 15th of April, maybe?

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 05:25 PM

If I get panicky emails 2 or 3 weeks from now, that may be considered.

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2004, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by wibs:
Which reminds me, if anyone has any questions, Max and WICKEDfour (Joe Kohlmann) and I aren't allowed to enter, so don't worry about any of us stealing your sweet idea if you're wondering if something is possible. Feel free to send me an email or a message over AIM... screenname is wiberwachi. I can't speak for the other guys, but they're probably just as open.

That said, I agree with you that people should take a look at ThemePark. It's intimidating at first, but if you look at it just one bit at a time and try to ignore the sheer number of things possible to edit you can learn a lot, and quickly too.
Indeed, please feel free to contact me as well if you need some assistance over AIM with my .Mac email address, [email protected]. I also agree with wibs, (I see a pattern here, Harlan ) you guys should definitely look at ThemePark, specifically the caps and fills of a couple things like the aqua window titlebar and the push buttons. There are a few more things you can do with these elements, such as Max's Aluminum Alloy implementation of a different style of titlebar at the ends of the window.

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
May I suggest an extended deadline?

Something like the 15th of April, maybe?
I'd 2nd that. I should be able to make this one IF school doesn't interfere, but I'd like a bit more time to work with.
click one

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2004, 06:47 PM

I was thinking about this theme concept contest today and I thought something like a translucent bronze and black theme (call it "Pismo") would be cool. Unfortunately I have no real skills in Photoshop or whatever would be required to make even concept art relating to the theme... just and idea I thought I'd throw out there in case someone is having a hard time coming up with something.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2004, 10:28 AM

I love the idea for this contest, only problem is that I can make a theme I just can't make a mock-up

dws
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2004, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Caesar2099:
I love the idea for this contest, only problem is that I can make a theme I just can't make a mock-up
The solution to your 'problem' is simple. Take screenshots of your theme, make them into .psd files that meet the requirements, and then win the contest. Once won, you can then announce that the theme designers don't have to go to all the trouble of making the theme!

swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 2, 2004, 02:52 PM

Ok those last two posts made me almost tip out of my chair!

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

quandarry
Mar 2, 2004, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Caesar2099:
just submit the templates that you download...

give it a coolio name...

they might think it's another cool flat theme over there.

bwa-ha-ha-haha!

Dace
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2004, 12:42 AM

Is there a guideline for the "preview image" And what do we submit, PSDs or JPGs? And when will the brushed metal guideline be completed? Anyways I'm almost done.

What about after the contest adding a section to Macthemes where people can post moc-ups just in case a themer might be interested in making it into a real theme. Mock-ups Bulletin Board (MBB or MUBB?)

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2004, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by quandarry:
just submit the templates that you download...

give it a coolio name...

they might think it's another cool flat theme over there.

bwa-ha-ha-haha!
Get off the speed dude...

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

brn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2004, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by Dace:
What about after the contest adding a section to Macthemes where people can post moc-ups just in case a themer might be interested in making it into a real theme. Mock-ups Bulletin Board (MBB or MUBB?)
I think that sounds like a great idea!
Hope it will be bringed to life

Butterfly Reality Network� loves SIRO.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2004, 07:20 AM

Is there a guideline for the "preview image" And what do we submit, PSDs or JPGs? And when will the brushed metal guideline be completed? Anyways I'm almost done.

Yes, there is a guideline image for the preview, and while Adam hasn't included them yet on the package (as well as the Finder guidelines) I think the package should be updated today or tomorrow. If it is, I'll post news on MacThemes.

All themes that are submitted will be shown on the contest page for user voting, and later with scores displayed, along with comments open for each, so if anyone is interested in creating other themes (we hope they will be) all the contact info, etc. will be there.

Lew
Senior User
Mar 3, 2004, 08:21 AM

Any chance of some templates that will work with PS Elements please? It flattens each layer set into a non-editable layer (I assume each layer set contains a layer for each specific element? )

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2004, 09:40 AM

I am the only one that think the guideline template PSD's would make a great theme by themeselves?

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Mimizuku no Lew:
Any chance of some templates that will work with PS Elements please? It flattens each layer set into a non-editable layer (I assume each layer set contains a layer for each specific element? )
Try contacting Adam Betts. (Contact info here: http://www.artofadambetts.com/archives/000025.html)

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2004, 05:35 PM

Dace, preview images are now included in the guidelines package. Good luck on your entry, and if you want, email me for some feedback

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2004, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by swiz:
Ok those last two posts made me almost tip out of my chair!
yay I made Swiz laugh! Do I win a cookie?

Dace
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Dace, preview images are now included in the guidelines package. Good luck on your entry, and if you want, email me for some feedback
That's good to hear, thanks

I downloaded it and, I'm not sure, but I find the Finder buttons look jumbo size.

Anyways, I'll make sure to let you know when I'm done. I've just finished the Aqua window and Menubar...takes a lot of work and time to do these mock-ups.

Dace
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 11:26 PM

Ok, I'm done...took almost a week, but it's finishd. How is everyone else doing with their mock-ups?

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2004, 11:32 PM

How is everyone else doing with their mock-ups?
Just submitted mine today. Too bad only one per person though. Hopefully this contest will be a big success and they'll do another one in a couple of weeks.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 11:33 PM

Still in brainstorm phase...

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2004, 12:14 AM

wow, i'm really surprised you guys are finishing up already. i mean, you have a whole month left to do tweaks and modifications, and one month from now you're bound to wish something was different, just the way it goes usually.

well, good luck, i'm sure they look great
DigitalRamen sucks.

Sage
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 12:15 AM

Still in brainstorm phase too. I wish we could submit two themes, since I have one "killer theme" idea, but I have one that's a lot more practical and something that I really, really want to implement, but I suspect it won't win.. Poo.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2004, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by wibs:
wow, i'm really surprised you guys are finishing up already.
Well, mine is a fairly simple idea. I don't want to give away what it is, but it's pretty simplistic. Once I had the concept down, it didn't take a long time to create.

If they do another contest after this one I think I will do something more complex.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 12:26 AM

I'm waiting for spring break since school's keeping me busy now.
click one

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 01:14 AM

Well, Im working with another guy and trying to get the concept down before we do any of the mockup...

Dace
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 09:02 AM

Well, I've had the idea for quite a while now...so putting it on the screen wasn't difficult. I don't think I'll be wanting to change anything...but if I do, I can always send it in again (until march 29 that is).

Dave-o�
Senior User
Mar 5, 2004, 09:40 AM

The concept/brainstorming stage is coming to an end, that is if my other personality allows for it. Then it will be off to build a button and share it with my other personality.. This is going to be time consuming...

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 10:56 AM

Very innovative and colorful themes will probably get high user ratings, perhaps a bit taken off by the panel. I'd suggest something that will stand out, but would be usable. There's bound to be a lot of simple, usable mockups, and you wouldn't want to get lost in there.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
The concept/brainstorming stage is coming to an end, that is if my other personality allows for it. Then it will be off to build a button and share it with my other personality.. This is going to be time consuming...
Im afraid I cant do that, Dave

Sorry, I had to

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2004, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
Just submitted mine today. Too bad only one per person though. Hopefully this contest will be a big success and they'll do another one in a couple of weeks.
HAHAHA! Okay Max Rudberg, Harlan Lewis and Joe Kohlmann are good, but it's close to IMPOSSIBLE to put together a theme in 2 weeks... be real man. Do you think about these themers that shed blood sweat and tears making our beloved themes? Well... it's not a walk in the park... there's a lot of work that goes into a theme.

But, I do look foward to see the winners... this is gonna be cool.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2004, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
HAHAHA! Okay Max Rudberg, Harlan Lewis and Joe Kohlmann are good, but it's close to IMPOSSIBLE to put together a theme in 2 weeks... be real man. Do you think about these themers that shed blood sweat and tears making our beloved themes? Well... it's not a walk in the park... there's a lot of work that goes into a theme.
You do realize this is a contest for making theme MOCKUPS and not actual themes? It's just 4 photoshop files, not hundreds of individual resources with alpha layers, like a real theme. It doesn't take very long to make 4 psd files, especially when they provide you with templates.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2004, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:

But, I do look foward to see the winners... this is gonna be cool.
haha, no way do we have to make a theme in 2 weeks... that would be crazy and we're not shiocop. phillryu told me we had roughly a two month timeline to make the themes after the winners had been picked, which seems pretty fair. things go a lot faster when someone else has to do all the design work
DigitalRamen sucks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules