Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Opening 15" AlBook

Opening 15" AlBook
slimmy
Forum Regular
May 8, 2004, 09:23 AM

Hi All,

I got a Hitachi 7200rpm drive for my powerbook. Downloaded the service manual and proceded to try to open the top case. All went well until I tried to get at that damned clip that you need to pull just inside the CD/DVD slit. Must have tried for and hour and a half to access it with a dental pick. Just couldn't get it at all. Finally took it to a wellknown service center here in Manhattan. Cost: more than 1/2 the price of the drive.

This place used to be a good mom and pop place. Now they quote one price on the phone, try to double it when you go, and then, the work done, say they've found a failed cable and try to triple it at the end of the job. Doubtless there are many who cough up. I just insisted there was nothing wrong when I brought the PB in for a hard drive swap (there wasn't) and they backed down.

That said, the 7200rpm drive is silent, and things are noticeably much snappier. Put the 4200rpm 60 gig in a firewire 400 case (800 is overkill with a 4200 drive, probably).

Slim

maximawoo
Forum Regular
May 8, 2004, 08:00 PM

I was wondering if you could put a link up to the service manual. I had one heck of a time trying to locate it (for the 15in Aibook). Thanks.

slimmy  (op)
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by maximawoo:
I was wondering if you could put a link up to the service manual. I had one heck of a time trying to locate it (for the 15in Aibook). Thanks.
Here it is:

http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules